US Politics 2017

A forum for respectful discussion & exchange of views on news, current affairs & thought-provoking topics; please read and be aware of the guidelines prior to posting.

Forum rules

Welcome to the News, Current Affairs & Debate subforum.

This forum is the place for intellectual discussions relating to news, current affairs, or philosophical & scientific debates. There are some guidelines that apply specifically to posts in this forum, of which you will be expected to have made yourself aware before participating. They are as follows:

• Intellectually stimulating topics only. If you can't have a deep discussion about something, it does not belong here.
  • If you're going to post, have something to say. When you make a new thread, write the initial post in a way that provides an introduction to the topic and invites further discussion. You could tell us how you feel and why, but always aim for constructive responses that further a discussion about the ideas involved, rather than a simple list of people's views. (Instead of asking "Are you a vegetarian?", discuss some of the arguments involved.) This guideline likewise applies for responses to topics.
  • Write using good English. That means full sentences with proper capitalisation, punctuation, spelling and grammar. No one is perfect, though; this is not an invitation to criticise others for minor mistakes.
  • Be nice. This is a forum for rational discourse, not flame wars. No one is always right. Be respectful of other people's views and accept that we are all entitled to our own.

These guidelines will be enforced by the moderators based on their best judgement, and anyone who does not take them seriously will lose the privilege of posting here. Spammers will be banned from the entire forum.

GTF's Presidential Approval: At this moment, do you approve of Donald Trump's job as President?

Yes
18%
No
82%

Total votes : 92

US Politics 2017

Unread postby tyleradam » 5th June, 2013, 12:00 am

[Reveal] Spoiler: GTF's 2016 US Presidential Poll Archived

---
With President Obama's re-election both parties will be putting up new fresh faces up to become the next Commander and Chief of the United States. Believe it or not, starting sometime next year (more than likely the end of the year) candidates will officially be running for President. But in the mean time, I think it will be fun to speculate about future candidates.

While I have a feeling most of the people on here will be supporting Democrats, let's try to keep an open mind to the Republican side of things because not every republican is an old white guy from Texas who loves Jesus and their guns.

Just to give everyone a little list of people who are rumored/talked about running in 2016.
Democrats

Publicly expressed interest

Joe Biden, Vice President of the United States since 2009; U.S. Senator from Delaware 1973–2009
Martin O'Malley, Governor of Maryland since 2007; Mayor of Baltimore 1999–2007
Other potential candidates

Cory Booker, Mayor of Newark, New Jersey since 2006
Julian Castro, Mayor of San Antonio, Texas since 2009
Hillary Rodham Clinton, United States Secretary of State 2009–2013; U.S. Senator from New York 2001–2009
Andrew Cuomo, Governor of New York since 2011; Attorney General of New York 2007–2010
Rahm Emanuel, Mayor of Chicago since 2011; White House Chief of Staff 2009–2010
Kirsten Gillibrand, U.S. Senator from New York since 2009; U.S. Representative from New York 2007–2009
Christine Gregoire, Governor of Washington 2005-2013; Attorney General of Washington 1993–2005
John Hickenlooper, Governor of Colorado since 2011, mayor of Denver, Colorado 2003–2011
John Kerry, United States Secretary of State since 2013; U.S. Senator from Massachusetts 1985–2013; 2004 presidential nominee
Amy Klobuchar, U.S. Senator from Minnesota since 2007
Jack Markell, Governor of Delaware since 2009; Treasurer of Delaware 1993–2009
Janet Napolitano, United States Secretary of Homeland Security since 2009; Governor of Arizona 2003–2009
Jay Nixon, Governor of Missouri since 2009; Attorney General of Missouri 1993–2009
Deval Patrick, Governor of Massachusetts since 2007
Brian Schweitzer, Governor of Montana 2005–2013
Kathleen Sebelius, United States Secretary of Health and Human Services since 2009; Governor of Kansas 2003–2009
Antonio Villaraigosa, Mayor of Los Angeles since 2005
Mark Warner, U.S. Senator from Virginia since 2009; Governor of Virginia 2002–2006
Elizabeth Warren, U.S. Senator from Massachusetts since 2013

Republicans

Jeb Bush, Governor of Florida 1999–2007
Ben Carson, Director of Pediatric Neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital, from Maryland
Chris Christie, Governor of New Jersey since 2010
Ted Cruz, U.S. Senator from Texas since 2013; Solicitor General of Texas 2003–2008
Jon Huntsman, Jr., United States Ambassador to China 2009–2011; Governor of Utah 2005–2009; presidential candidate in 2012 election
Rand Paul, U.S. Senator from Kentucky since 2011
Rick Santorum, U.S. Senator from Pennsylvania 1995–2007; U.S. Representative from Pennsylvania 1991–1995; presidential candidate in 2012 election
Donald Trump, business magnate from New York

Kelly Ayotte, U.S. Senator from New Hampshire since 2011; Attorney General of New Hampshire 2004–2009
Sam Brownback, Governor of Kansas since 2011; U.S. Senator from Kansas 1996–2011
Ken Cuccinelli, Attorney General of Virginia since 2010
Mitch Daniels, President of Purdue University since 2013; Governor of Indiana, 2005–2013
Jim DeMint, President of the Heritage Foundation, U.S. Senator from South Carolina 2005–2013; U.S. Representative from South Carolina 1999–2005
Mary Fallin, Governor of Oklahoma since 2011; U.S. Representative from Oklahoma 2007–2011
Newt Gingrich, Speaker of the House of Representatives 1995–1999; House Minority Whip 1989–1995; presidential candidate in 2012 election
Nikki Haley, Governor of South Carolina since 2011
Bobby Jindal, Governor of Louisiana since 2008; U.S. Representative from Louisiana 2005–2008
John Kasich, Governor of Ohio since 2011; U.S. Representative from Ohio 1983–2001
Susana Martinez, Governor of New Mexico since 2011
Bob McDonnell, Governor of Virginia since 2010; Attorney General of Virginia 2006–2009
Sarah Palin, 2008 vice-presidential nominee; Governor of Alaska 2006–2009
Mike Pence, Governor of Indiana since 2013; U.S. Representative from Indiana 2001–2013
Rick Perry, Governor of Texas since 2000, Lieutenant Governor of Texas 1999–2000; presidential candidate in 2012 election
Rob Portman, U.S. Senator from Ohio since 2011; Director of the Office of Management and Budget 2006–2007
Condoleezza Rice, United States Secretary of State 2005–2009; National Security Advisor 2001–2005
Marco Rubio, U.S. Senator from Florida since 2011, Speaker of the Florida House of Representatives 2007 – 2009
Paul Ryan, 2012 vice-presidential nominee, U.S. Representative from Wisconsin since 1999[47][107][108]
John Thune, U.S. Senator from South Dakota since 2005, U.S. Representative from South Dakota 1997–2003
Scott Walker, Governor of Wisconsin since 2011

Source; Wikipedia (love it or hate it, the wiki is useful since most of these had sources)
Last edited by Dessy on 12th July, 2017, 2:49 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Reason: Changed poll to job approval.
tyleradam

Re: 2016 US Presidental Election; Pure Speculation

Unread postby tyleradam » 5th June, 2013, 12:09 am

Now; just to keep the original post separate from my own I will just post my own opinions here.

Personally, I would love to see former Secretary of State Hilliary Clinton run. I'm not 100% sure she will be wiling to run again after 2008, especially since just before she left the State department in February the debt from the race was paid off. But I feel like this is her prime to run now.

Joe Biden would be an interesting candidate, but I'm not exactly sure he would win against a strong republican because he doesn't have the best public image, and of his age (70, and by November of 2016 he will be 74 making him one of the oldest people to run for office tied with Senator Bob Dole)

Elizabeth Warren; an other interesting pick. I believe she has a strong image right now with her quick approach on things and not taking a back seat in Senate; an interesting approach because she has never served in a public appointed position besides her current term in Senate.

I will work on my republican ones later.
You can't sit with us.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
tyleradam

Unread postby Gavin123 » 5th June, 2013, 12:56 am

That's a long list of prospective candidates, so I think I'll just hit who I see ad the Top 5 in both parties.

Dems:
Clinton-The odds on favorite for the nomination at this point, and if she jumps in she immediately clears the field. Should she get to the General, her huge likeability/visibility would help bring back southern whites (the Blue Dogs) into the Democratic column. That, paired with shifting demographics in swing states, would make her essentially unbeatable.
O'Malley-Should Clinton decide not to run, O'Malley is a way out. Moderate visability coupled with a fiery liberal record could sweep him through a primary should Clinton decide not to run. However, that same record would be a huge detriment to a Democratic Party that wants to seem moderate, and that may turn into a huge electoral liability.
Biden- If Joey gets the nomination I'm moving to Canada.
Cuomo-Same problem as O'Malley. Governor of a state much more liberal than the general populous, only Cuomo has the added problem of bring preachy about it. The kind of rheotoric he uses to extol his policies is not going to connect with moderates, and it could create an electoral disaster for the Dems.
Schweitzer- He is the Dems ace in the hole. In my opinion, if Clinton doesn't run, Schweitzer is the next best choice. He has a moderate record in a red state that's going to connect with liberal/conservative leaning moderates who feel alienated by party politics. Plus, he makes places like Indiana and Montana, even if they're not huge prizes, in reach for the Dems. But he doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting through a primary, so... :/

Reps:
Rubio- Rubio has the unquestionable conservative credos that sail him through a primary. If he gets to the general election, he may be able to capitalize on the whole "Hispanic" factor and put a huge demographic group in reach. His chances are completely contingent upon the Obama administration being incredibly unpopular by the end of this term though.
Christie-Northeastern moderate who could only get the nomination if the establishment of the party breaks for him quickly. Should he by some miracle get to the general, he would be able to open up huge swaths of the country to the Reps (i.e. New Jersey, Iowa, Pennsylvania).
Daniels- Only candidate who can have it both ways as a fierce conservative and a moderate. If his campaign messaged well, he could translate that to early primary wins and get the nomination. If he makes it to the general, he immediately takes the Rust Belt, and that makes it pretty hard for a Democrat to reach 270.
Paul Those loveable libertarians. The drawback of the primary process for Paul is that early states (i.e. Iowa, Florida, South Carolina) are full of socially conservative evangelicals, with whom Paul's libertarian views won't reasonate with. One thing he does have going for him is a dedicated network of young activists, and it would be interesting to see how they affect his chances.
Bush- If it weren't for his brother, the nomination would be his to lose.

If in 2016 Obama's approval is still where it is now, I see the Democrats taking it. But again, this is all speculative.
Last edited by Gavin123 on 5th June, 2013, 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gavin123
Bottom's Bourgeois

Unread postby Jackson179 » 5th June, 2013, 1:16 am

Clinton will most likely win if she runs I think most americans are tired of old-style conservative republican philosophy by now, especially after the bullshit scandals fox news made into a big deal. But I wouldn't be disappointed in having the only really modeate republican win which is Christy.
from SoundCloud
Jackson179

Unread postby Ebsy » 5th June, 2013, 2:13 am

Hil's going to go and knock the Republicans dead. Just you wait and see.
Will wrote:Eye contact is serious. Make sure you get tested for H-eye-V.
Thumper wrote:I've read washing machine manuals that aroused me more.
Ebsy
EBay

Likes received: 37

Team: The Far East

Unread postby Egregious » 5th June, 2013, 2:16 am

Christie is without a doubt the right choice and all that's left to see is whether the GOP is truly committed to its self-immolation.
Egregious
billable hours

Unread postby niko123 » 5th June, 2013, 2:22 am

GIndividual wrote:Paul Those loveable libertarians. The drawback of the primary process for Paul is that early states (i.e. Iowa, Florida, South Carolina) are full of socially conservative evangelicals, with whom Paul's libertarian views won't reasonate with. One thing he does have going for him is a dedicated network of young activists, and it would be interesting to see how they affect his chances.

Rand Paul is nothing like his father. Rand is hardly a libertarian and I cannot see many Paulites going to him. I certainly don't like him at all. I would love to see Ron Paul run again but that's not going to happen.

Both parties suck and can't get anything done. To be honest, both parties are pretty much the same with little actual difference in policies. Most of the candidates suck. I'd vote for Huntsman if he actually had a chance at the nomination. Nearly all of the other GOP candidates are extremely conservative. The Democrats I can more agree with socially on most issues but they're still statist apologists.

I'll probably vote for Johnson again if he runs Libertarian for lack of better options.
niko123
Thalido's Fanboy

Unread postby charless » 5th June, 2013, 5:38 am

Although I'm not American, I'd love to see Hillary Clinton run for Presidency!
charless

Unread postby Gavin123 » 5th June, 2013, 6:48 am

tem
niko123 wrote:
GIndividual wrote:Paul Those loveable libertarians. The drawback of the primary process for Paul is that early states (i.e. Iowa, Florida, South Carolina) are full of socially conservative evangelicals, with whom Paul's libertarian views won't reasonate with. One thing he does have going for him is a dedicated network of young activists, and it would be interesting to see how they affect his chances.

Rand Paul is nothing like his father. Rand is hardly a libertarian and I cannot see many Paulites going to him. I certainly don't like him at all. I would love to see Ron Paul run again but that's not going to happen.

How? I don't see many disagreements between the two other than Rand being a bit more of an interventionalist and more cautious/tempered in his positions.The reason Rand is perceived as so much more conservative is because he's more willing to play party politics and make concessions than his father. In short, he's a politician while his father is an idealist. I still think Ron Paul's base would come over to support a Rand Paul candidacy, because he's still the closest to a libertarian of the current crop of candidates.
Last edited by Gavin123 on 5th June, 2013, 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gavin123
Bottom's Bourgeois

Unread postby ericb91 » 5th June, 2013, 7:03 am

Christie's appeal rises above polarized nation, NBC/WSJ poll shows

Hillary will have a fight on her hands if Christie is able to get the nomination, he's well liked by both Democrats and Republicans. Christie will have to get the establishment behind him and wage a full war on the fringe right wing inside their party.

I also find it hard to get excited about anyone except Hillary on the Democratic side. Kirsten Gillibrand is okay I guess.
I'll be your wingman. Even if it means I have to take a chubby. I will suck it up.
ericb91

Unread postby CandyCorn » 5th June, 2013, 12:30 pm

Republicans

Republicans that have publicly expressed interest

Ben Carson, Director of Pediatric Neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital, from Maryland
Ted Cruz, U.S. Senator from Texas since 2013; Solicitor General of Texas 2003–2008
Jon Huntsman, Jr., United States Ambassador to China 2009–2011; Governor of Utah 2005–2009; presidential candidate in 2012 election
Rick Santorum, U.S. Senator from Pennsylvania 1995–2007; U.S. Representative from Pennsylvania 1991–1995; presidential candidate in 2012 election

-------------------------------------------------

I honestly feel like regardless of what Jeb Bush says or does, people won't vote for him because he's another Bush. So I'm not considering him a serious candidate. It would be far too easy to run attack ads against him (which appears to be the new standard way to do things .-.)

Ted Cruz literally cannot run for president, having been born in Canada. Sucks for him lol.

Rick Santorum will never get elected. There are too many Republicans even that don't want his hardcore theocracy.

Donald Trump is a joke, everyone knows it.

This leaves Rand Paul (who should not assume he has his father's votes), Ben Carson (who i know nothing about), Chris Christie (whose weight is representative of the average American's lifestyle - we may as well be upfront about it by electing him), and John Huntsman (who people didn't appear to want to vote for last time).

EDIT: I do think that Christie is a fat pig too lazy to deal with his own health problems, but I also think he is what the GOP want to look like in terms of being more moderate, which is what makes him a top choice.
CandyCorn

Unread postby ignorantart » 5th June, 2013, 2:26 pm

ericb91 wrote:Christie's appeal rises above polarized nation, NBC/WSJ poll shows

Hillary will have a fight on her hands if Christie is able to get the nomination, he's well liked by both Democrats and Republicans. Christie will have to get the establishment behind him and wage a full war on the fringe right wing inside their party.

I also find it hard to get excited about anyone except Hillary on the Democratic side. Kirsten Gillibrand is okay I guess.

Democrats like Christie? Come to New Jersey and ask any Democrat if they like him. We *tolerate* him, but he is the biggest asshole in the state. He is not a likable or nice human being.
ignorantart
Resident Architect

Likes received: 1

Unread postby chase. » 5th June, 2013, 3:21 pm

tyleradam wrote:With President Obama's re-election both parties will be putting up new fresh faces up to become the next Commander and Chief of the United States. Believe it or not, starting sometime next year (more than likely the end of the year) candidates will officially be running for President. But in the mean time, I think it will be fun to speculate about future candidates.

While I have a feeling most of the people on here will be supporting Democrats, let's try to keep an open mind to the Republican side of things because not every republican is an old white guy from Texas who loves Jesus and their guns.

Just to give everyone a little list of people who are rumored/talked about running in 2016.
Democrats

Joe Biden, Vice President of the United States since 2009; U.S. Senator from Delaware 1973–2009
Martin O'Malley, Governor of Maryland since 2007; Mayor of Baltimore 1999–2007

Cory Booker, Mayor of Newark, New Jersey since 2006
Julian Castro, Mayor of San Antonio, Texas since 2009
Hillary Rodham Clinton, United States Secretary of State 2009–2013; U.S. Senator from New York 2001–2009
Andrew Cuomo, Governor of New York since 2011; Attorney General of New York 2007–2010
Rahm Emanuel, Mayor of Chicago since 2011; White House Chief of Staff 2009–2010
Kirsten Gillibrand, U.S. Senator from New York since 2009; U.S. Representative from New York 2007–2009
Christine Gregoire, Governor of Washington 2005-2013; Attorney General of Washington 1993–2005
John Hickenlooper, Governor of Colorado since 2011, mayor of Denver, Colorado 2003–2011
John Kerry, United States Secretary of State since 2013; U.S. Senator from Massachusetts 1985–2013; 2004 presidential nominee
Amy Klobuchar, U.S. Senator from Minnesota since 2007
Jack Markell, Governor of Delaware since 2009; Treasurer of Delaware 1993–2009
Janet Napolitano, United States Secretary of Homeland Security since 2009; Governor of Arizona 2003–2009
Jay Nixon, Governor of Missouri since 2009; Attorney General of Missouri 1993–2009
Deval Patrick, Governor of Massachusetts since 2007
Brian Schweitzer, Governor of Montana 2005–2013
Kathleen Sebelius, United States Secretary of Health and Human Services since 2009; Governor of Kansas 2003–2009
Antonio Villaraigosa, Mayor of Los Angeles since 2005
Mark Warner, U.S. Senator from Virginia since 2009; Governor of Virginia 2002–2006
Elizabeth Warren, U.S. Senator from Massachusetts since 2013

Republicans

Kelly Ayotte, U.S. Senator from New Hampshire since 2011; Attorney General of New Hampshire 2004–2009
Sam Brownback, Governor of Kansas since 2011; U.S. Senator from Kansas 1996–2011
Ken Cuccinelli, Attorney General of Virginia since 2010
Mitch Daniels, President of Purdue University since 2013; Governor of Indiana, 2005–2013
Jim DeMint, President of the Heritage Foundation, U.S. Senator from South Carolina 2005–2013; U.S. Representative from South Carolina 1999–2005
Mary Fallin, Governor of Oklahoma since 2011; U.S. Representative from Oklahoma 2007–2011
Newt Gingrich, Speaker of the House of Representatives 1995–1999; House Minority Whip 1989–1995; presidential candidate in 2012 election
Nikki Haley, Governor of South Carolina since 2011
Bobby Jindal, Governor of Louisiana since 2008; U.S. Representative from Louisiana 2005–2008
John Kasich, Governor of Ohio since 2011; U.S. Representative from Ohio 1983–2001
Susana Martinez, Governor of New Mexico since 2011
Bob McDonnell, Governor of Virginia since 2010; Attorney General of Virginia 2006–2009
Sarah Palin, 2008 vice-presidential nominee; Governor of Alaska 2006–2009
Mike Pence, Governor of Indiana since 2013; U.S. Representative from Indiana 2001–2013
Rick Perry, Governor of Texas since 2000, Lieutenant Governor of Texas 1999–2000; presidential candidate in 2012 election
Rob Portman, U.S. Senator from Ohio since 2011; Director of the Office of Management and Budget 2006–2007
Condoleezza Rice, United States Secretary of State 2005–2009; National Security Advisor 2001–2005
Marco Rubio, U.S. Senator from Florida since 2011, Speaker of the Florida House of Representatives 2007 – 2009
Paul Ryan, 2012 vice-presidential nominee, U.S. Representative from Wisconsin since 1999[47][107][108]
John Thune, U.S. Senator from South Dakota since 2005, U.S. Representative from South Dakota 1997–2003
Scott Walker, Governor of Wisconsin since 2011

Source; Wikipedia (love it or hate it, the wiki is useful since most of these had sources)

O'Malley will definitely run and so will either Biden or Clinton. I am confident that Hillary will run and Joe will likely back out. I've heard rumors that Obama promised to endorse Hillary in exchange for Bill Clinton's vocal support in 2012.

The problem with Hillary Clinton is that she clears out the field. Barack Obama winning in 2008 was an anomaly and most reasonable candidates understand that she is a shoe-in for the nomination this time around. Most people think she deserves it. I don't see anyone else on that list stepping in (and if they do they won't stay very long). Maybe Julian Castro might be stupid enough to run.

With respect to the Republicans, first and foremost, stop giving Donald Trump attention. He won't run because he knows that he wouldn't win, and that would damage his fragile ego.

But yeah, the Republican field is going to be crowded. I foresee Jeb Bush, Chris Christie, Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio, Rick Santorum, Rand Paul and probably Rick Perry entering the fold. It's going to be another sad year for perennial candidates like Santorum and Perry because I think either Bush, Christie or Rubio are going to win the nomination. I personally like Chris Christie a lot but I don't know if I could vote for him given that he vetoed a same-sex marriage law in New Jersey. Time will tell I suppose.

I don't think it's going to be easy for Hillary Clinton if she's running against any of those three candidates, particularly Chris Christie. If she somehow ends up against an idiot like Ted Cruz then she shouldn't have much of a problem, but the Christie or Bush machine are going to take her to task (and are already trying to do so with this manufactured Benghazi "scandal").

Edit: God help us if Joe Biden wins the nomination. I'm sure he's a fine guy and all but I sure as hell wouldn't vote for him.
Last edited by chase. on 5th June, 2013, 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chase.

Unread postby chase. » 5th June, 2013, 3:25 pm

ignorantart wrote:
ericb91 wrote:Christie's appeal rises above polarized nation, NBC/WSJ poll shows

Democrats like Christie? Come to New Jersey and ask any Democrat if they like him. We *tolerate* him, but he is the biggest asshole in the state. He is not a likable or nice human being.

You should read this: http://www.politickernj.com/65168/poll- ... 71-percent

His approval rating in the state is 71%, and it's 61% among Democrats. I'm a Democrat and I like Chris Christie, even though I don't agree with him on a lot of things.
chase.

Unread postby chase. » 5th June, 2013, 3:31 pm

Egregious wrote:Christie is without a doubt the right choice and all that's left to see is whether the GOP is truly committed to its self-immolation.

The funny thing is that the GOP is rather likely to fuck up a sure thing, just like they have done in the past. The signs are already on the wall given how unreasonably pissed the base of the party is that Christie wouldn't defame and insult the President immediately after he provided Sandy aid.
chase.

Unread postby chase. » 5th June, 2013, 3:33 pm

CandyCorn wrote:Ted Cruz literally cannot run for president, having been born in Canada. Sucks for him lol.

His mom was an American citizen. He's perfectly eligible to run for President.
chase.

Unread postby Gavin123 » 5th June, 2013, 4:00 pm

I think you guys are underestimating Clinton's electability. Should she get the nomination, she'll have the unwavering loyalty of the old Clinton base, along with most of the growing demographics that made up the Obama coalition. Her favorable ratings are through the roof, and she has more name recognition than any of the other candidates. If Obama's popularity is still around 52% by the election, I don't see anyone BUT Christie being able to overcome her, even if they have a year to attack her prior to the election.

Also, let's start making predictions. Here's what I see as the battlegrounds foe a Clinton/Christie race: 
http://www.270towin.com/2016_election_p ... mapid=bDal
Gavin123
Bottom's Bourgeois

Unread postby Egregious » 5th June, 2013, 4:09 pm

I guess she could try crying her way through the primaries again.
Egregious
billable hours

Unread postby karlton » 5th June, 2013, 4:34 pm

GIndividual wrote:I don't see anyone BUT Christie being able to overcome her, even if they have a year to attack her prior to the election.

I think Jeb Bush might be able to, if he can convince people he has different ideas than his older brother. But it should be a much more interesting race than 2012 either way.
ImageImage
karlton

Unread postby tyleradam » 5th June, 2013, 5:41 pm

For my republican views now; I was just holding out to post them because I wasn't sure if people would actually reply to this post but I'm glad to see people participating.

For republicans I can see two really big opponents:
Senator Marco Rubio, even though he has limited experience he is pretty moderate which can help convert some Democrats onto the republican ballot. With him being a second generation American (I believe his parents immigrated to the US, but I could be wrong) I believe he will appeal to the Latino vote, which is a demographic that the republican party is missing.

The other big opponent to the democrats are Chris Christie (and yes that was a pun on his weight, but that doesn't directly effect how he would serve as president of the United States) I live in Pennsylvania, outside of Philadelphia so all my local news channels have coverage of stuff happening in New Jersey. He seems to be doing good for NJ, quickly rebuilding after Superstorm Sandy, spending more on education, and not increasing taxes but that can be debatable.

Now just for other thoughts;
Jeb Bush - I doubt he will even run, but if he does run he will not do very well. I know many republicans who don't even like the Bush family, more or less trying to appeal to the swing voters. I don't think many Americans want a third Bush in office. I know I don't!

Donald Trump - He needs to stop getting his hair piece and him into politics. He is a businessman who should be satisfied doing what he is currently doing.

Rand Paul - Lack of experience will certainly be an easy way to discredit him from actually winning an election. He will be eaten alive by other republicans before the Democrats can even get to him.

chase. wrote:I don't think it's going to be easy for Hillary Clinton if she's running against any of those three candidates, particularly Chris Christie. If she somehow ends up against an idiot like Ted Cruz then she shouldn't have much of a problem, but the Christie or Bush machine are going to take her to task (and are already trying to do so with this manufactured Benghazi "scandal").

The one of the main reasons why republicans keep bringing Benghazi back up is because they know Hillary Clinton has taken credit for what has gone wrong there. They want to keep this fresh in the American mind and really show how "bad" she was as the Secretary of State. Besides that I don't think anyone will have too much dirt on her. If Benghazi didn't occur, then I would say Clinton would be able to win this election in a landslide but with this people are questioning her a little bit.

One last question; is there any way we can get Bill Clinton back into office? He was one of the best presidents we have ever had, and certainly a shinning star of the modern day Democratic party.
You can't sit with us.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
tyleradam

Next

Recently active