#BlackLivesMatter (BLM) Discussion | 13th

A forum for respectful discussion & exchange of views on news, current affairs & thought-provoking topics; please read and be aware of the guidelines prior to posting.

Forum rules

Welcome to the News, Current Affairs & Debate subforum.

This forum is the place for intellectual discussions relating to news, current affairs, or philosophical & scientific debates. There are some guidelines that apply specifically to posts in this forum, of which you will be expected to have made yourself aware before participating. They are as follows:

• Intellectually stimulating topics only. If you can't have a deep discussion about something, it does not belong here.
  • If you're going to post, have something to say. When you make a new thread, write the initial post in a way that provides an introduction to the topic and invites further discussion. You could tell us how you feel and why, but always aim for constructive responses that further a discussion about the ideas involved, rather than a simple list of people's views. (Instead of asking "Are you a vegetarian?", discuss some of the arguments involved.) This guideline likewise applies for responses to topics.
  • Write using good English. That means full sentences with proper capitalisation, punctuation, spelling and grammar. No one is perfect, though; this is not an invitation to criticise others for minor mistakes.
  • Be nice. This is a forum for rational discourse, not flame wars. No one is always right. Be respectful of other people's views and accept that we are all entitled to our own.

These guidelines will be enforced by the moderators based on their best judgement, and anyone who does not take them seriously will lose the privilege of posting here. Spammers will be banned from the entire forum.

#BlackLivesMatter (BLM) Discussion | 13th

Unread postby Dessy » 27th March, 2016, 12:57 am

If you haven’t heard of Black Lives Matter, you’ve probably been living under a rock. No matter, with this thread you can be informed on the subject.

So why did I made this topic?
Well it was inspired by a certain someone sig, but also I notice that some people on here don’t really fully grasp the movement. Also I was totally bored and wanted to pour my energy into something. I’m hoping that this trigger some discussion; I intentionally left out some things in hope that they do get brought up as a point of interest but I think I covered most of the basics. Google is also at your disposal to learn more. And I'll probably edit this as we go on.

First off what is BLM and what do they stand for?
Well BLM is an African-American centered movement who main focus is on combating the continual negative actions against black people. Since 2013 it has grown into something more international and has had successes so far. But it’s far from over.

But don’t All Lives Matter? Why are black lives more important?
Well that is the point, black lives aren’t treated to the same respect as our white counterparts in nearly every area of life. The people saying All lives matter while correct are completely missing the point, since no one said only black lives matter or that black lives matter more.

Why and how was Black Lives Matter formed? What led to it?
[Reveal] Spoiler:

Clearly a number of factors, but I and many others personally believe Trayvon Martin’s death was a key trigger for the movement. When they ruled Zimmerman Not Guilty, many black youths (including myself) felt VERY upset with the decision. It certainly didn’t help that many people justified it. I won’t claim to personally know either side but when you been around bullshit and hear the stories from the older folks about discrimination that they experience coming to life before your very eyes you can’t help but feel that something is very wrong here. The media also portrayed Trayvon as a dangerous thug for the most part.

But the main trigger that most proponents of BLM agreed on was Ferguson which I’m sure so many have heard about. No one (sane) condones the riots that resulted but it’s important to understand what exactly happened.
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014 ... oting.html
Michael Brown, an unarmed black teenager, was shot and killed on Aug. 9, 2014, by Darren Wilson, a white police officer, in Ferguson, Mo., a suburb of St. Louis. The shooting prompted protests that roiled the area for weeks. On Nov. 24, the St. Louis County prosecutor announced that a grand jury decided not to indict Mr. Wilson. The announcement set off another wave of protests. In March, the Justice Department called on Ferguson to overhaul its criminal justice system, declaring that the city had engaged in constitutional violations.

The grand jury (made up of 9 whites and 3 blacks) ended up deciding not to indict Officer Wilson resulting in a national outrage and weeks of protests. But from that point on, Black Lives Matter became a solid movement.

Some incidents since Michael Brown and Ferguson.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Some of the dates might be not exact.
July 17, 2014 - #ICantbreathe
Nov. 22, 2014 - Shooting of Tamir Rice (12 year old playing with a toy gun)
April 19th, 2015 - Freddie Gray dies from spinal injury while he was in police custody.
~June 7th, 2015 - Pool Party
July 13th, 2015 - Suicide in Police custody
~Oct. 26th, 2015 - Black Teen Girl Slammed
#SayHerName - Collection of violence against black women including a black transgender

There a hell of a lot more than this but these are some of the more known ones. Many more incidents likely haven’t even been recorded or be made public.

But surely BlueLivesMatter as well. Cops are suppose to protect us and enforce the laws.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
ImageImage
There is a strong misconception that BLM is calling for violence against cops or are against cops in general. Aside from some (rightfully) angry people doing that, that’s not what we’re calling for at all. The whole point is combating police brutality, not necessarily just against blacks but in general. Many black people, while they may somewhat respect police officers, do not trust them at all. It doesn’t help that there’s a long history between authority figures and black people. Civil Rights movement right? Nope go all the way back to the time of slaves.

Since slavery was prominent since the colonization of America and slaves would escape there needed to be slave patrol and night watchers to capture them. Many southern police forces formed in this manner. Even after the Civil War ended and the slaves were freed, these departments would actively work against them mainly enforcing Jim Crow laws until after the 20th century Civil Rights era.
Even after that era it most certainly didn’t help that the infamous War on Drugs strongly targeted black communities and the police was used to arrest these people. Obviously the broke the law by dealing in illegal drugs but the War on drugs disproportionately affected blacks compared to white people.

Cultural Impact
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Regardless of whether you agree or disagree with some or all of these incidents, it cannot be denied that the movement is having an effect on society. There’s more conversation and interests now on the status of minorities and the concept of white privilege as opposed to 2007. Many people are starting to realize that racism isn’t just direct and implicit but it’s also ingrained and institutionalized into American society.
This also mark the use of social media, namely Twitter to further validate and join in on the movement. Without Twitter, BLM wouldn’t had organized into the force it is today as we know it.

Trends like #OscarsSoWhite are highlighting who is exactly in charge of things in America. One of my college professor shared a very interesting site that show who influence America. Looking at it you can see how institutional racism and white privilege comes into play. http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016 ... -news&_r=0

Many music artists are also taking up the movement mantle to speak out.

Regardless of whether there intentions are genuine or not -and I see no reasons to believe they’re not- they are helpful to the movement.

The movement even made it way into the presidential elections, as black people want to know which candidates are looking out for their best interests. Although I personally feel like we're getting the short end of the stick with this election, especially with Obama leaving. I don't doubt Hillary's or Bernie's potential to help out black people and they would need to do it as the movement is still growing and isn't going anywhere soon but I'm not sensing all that they would really do to help out. It most certainly doesn't help that the Republican frontrunner is being racist and is furthering racial tensions among all groups.

I think in the end, more people will come out more informed on issues in this country and will work together more to solve them… hopefully.

Impact on the LGBTQ+ community?
While it seems like the main focus is on police brutality I can't help but notice that trans and queer issues have also received more attention from the movement, especially from key members.
I found a couple interesting articles about people who identify as such and why the LGBTQ should also get involved.
http://www.dailydot.com/politics/black-lives-matter-queer-trans-issues/
http://www.advocate.com/commentary/2015/02/02/op-ed-why-black-lives-should-matter-all-lgbt-people

Pride Toronto and Alton Sterling
Last edited by Dessy on 23rd July, 2016, 1:07 pm, edited 6 times in total.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Dessy
Moderator Emeriti

First name: Des
Likes received: 307

Re: #BlackLivesMatter (BLM) Discussion

Unread postby Liam » 27th March, 2016, 1:17 am

I think this is a really incredibly idea for a thread, because it really seems like a topic people are afraid to bring up unless prompted and the more informed people are the better! I support the BLM movement,just not in an active way (Protests, posting, etc.) But I'm willing to defend the movement, but as a teenager civil change is on the back of my mind currently, but I do understand the magnitude of the issues BLM tackles. I would like to bring up some questions because I think it would help for them to be answered by someone who's experience correlates with the actual movement.
1. How do you guys feel about some of the protests that have shut down important roadways? I heard of a bridge in San Francisco and a freeway in Minneapolis, both of which people brought up emergency vehicles and just average people being punished and used that as a way to attack BLM. Now I personally don't support the idea of shutting down major freeways because of the consequences it may have, but I feel like some of the arguments against it may be a bit biased or exagerrated, I would like to see more thoughts on this.
2. A topic that isn't exactly related, but comes up quite a lot when discussing BLM is reverse racism, and the argument about where or not it exists. I mean it's quite obvious that in western civilization, especially countries like the US, that white people are very privileged, and minorities, specifically black people, are at a disadvantage. This theme of privilege and those being disadvantaged simply because of their race I think is an example of the systematic racism that exists in many societies, and in western society is only affecting minorities in a severely negative way. So yes I agree that systematic racism really only exists towards minorities, but on the topic of general racism things get a little gray for me. I mean I feel like just simply discriminating someone because of their race is in essence racism, so technically you can be racist towards white people. I mean of course it isn't going to be on such a level where people are attacked or disadvantaged for being white, but I feel like people can still discriminate against white people.. I for one don't really like the phrase reverse racism either, because I feel like it's just simply racism. The phrase reverse racism seems to imply it's just oppressed minorities being racist towards white people, which just seems too specific for me. I personally haven't experienced racism though, so pretty difficult to say my opinion is accurate, just want to see how others think about this!
Liam
The Fake Cheesy, Sexual Exhibitionist Canadian

First name: Liam
Likes received: 38

Team: The Wild West

Unread postby Dessy » 27th March, 2016, 1:25 am

Liam wrote:1. How do you guys feel about some of the protests that have shut down important roadways? I heard of a bridge in San Francisco and a freeway in Minneapolis, both of which people brought up emergency vehicles and just average people being punished and used that as a way to attack BLM. Now I personally don't support the idea of shutting down major freeways because of the consequences it may have, but I feel like some of the arguments against it may be a bit biased or exagerrated, I would like to see more thoughts on this.

I think there are limits to protests. Mainly don't get violent and don't get too disruptive. But cutting off major roads is just going to pissed off a hell of a lot more people from every side. It might make some people notice but when they're out trying to get to work to make a living or just trying to enjoy themselves for the day, it's just a certain line that shouldn't be crossed unless it's absolutely necessary imo.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Dessy
Moderator Emeriti

Unread postby Thotiana » 27th March, 2016, 1:44 am

I feel like black people really struggle with police brutality. It's really unjust and uncalled for when they get into so many incidents with the cops. It's really upsetting that people let stereotypes cloud their visions and as a result innocent people have to go through such hardships. I was really upset about the case with Sandra Bland. I wrote my summer assignment about her. It's really frightening to see how the police treated her and not only one but two...
Thotiana
Classy Hoe

First name: Steven
Likes received: 7

Unread postby Unseasoned Chicken » 27th March, 2016, 3:21 am

I also saw the sig you were referring to Des and was quite appalled.

There is a clear issue with how police racially profile and treat minorities, specifically blacks in America I don't understand how people can claim that it doesn't exist. On social media especially I see (mainly white) people against BLM using the argument "If they weren't criminals they would never be in that situation." in an attempt to justify polices actions but committing a crime shouldn't cost you your life especially when the only "crime" someones commits is being black.

The facts speak for themselves; if you are an unarmed black male you are 5 times more likely to be shot by a police officer than a unarmed white male the only factor separating the two is the color of their skin yet blacks are shot more there are numerous studies showing facts on this matter. I cannot believe how corrupt the USA's law enforcement and justice system is, when in 98% of these cases of police brutality the officer isn't charged, and of the 2% that are less than 10% will actually face jail time I think it is abysmal for this to be occurring in a 1st world country that proudly calls itself the greatest.

As for how it impacts the LGBT community, I think it does greatly impact us and we need to do something however the main issue of racial discrimination against minorities needs to be addressed first before we delve into secondary issues.
It's interesting watching this movement as a 3rd party from another country and seeing how corrupt the USA is.
Twink enthusiast

ImageImage

ImageImage
Unseasoned Chicken
Is shaking

First name: Ethan
Likes received: 649

Unread postby adlr » 27th March, 2016, 8:40 am

Oh jeez, sorry in advance for the unpopular opinion, but...

I don't like BLM and I think they aren't doing good in a, well, good way.

I admire the intent, and of course agree that there is a serious problem with racism in some parts of the US. But I do not think that BLM is doing a great job at respectively, intelligently, and effectively helping to provide solutions. More than anything else, I think that BLM isn't doing nearly enough.

The criticism of BLM has been brought upon them by themselves, IMO.

A great example of this is the BLM activists who crashed Bernie Sanders' event in Seattle a few months ago. They accused Sanders of not paying enough attention to the race issues that the US is struggling with, even when Sanders is a known civil rights advocate who was heavily involved in the movement during his youth in NYC. Even his arguments about economics- especially involving the raising of the minimum wage- are extremely relevant to the black right's cause (even raising the federal minimum wage to $15 per hour would give 50% of black Americans a raise, according to Sanders himself).

Black Lives Matter has been criticized for this because they, or at least the activists who took part in the event, didn't bother to figure out whose party they were crashing and how ridiculous it would make them look to mess around with a civil right's activist's event.

On top of this, the movement doesn't seem to have done much at all to help the black rights movement in a substantial way. There is only so much that a protest can do. We need legal and political action outside of simply having sit-ins and tame protests. One of the reasons why MLK and the civil rights movement were so successful is because they were able to attract support through mass resistance/ protest. BLM has so far and for the most part been incapable of this.

To answer the other half of your question, problems pertaining to race (and particularly gender) have always been a part of LGBTQ activism, just as Feminism, Abolitionism, and Equal Rights movements have all been intertwined since pretty much their inception.

Simply looking at the history of these movements reveals how intertwined they have been. Early activists such as Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Sojourner Truth were staunch women's and black advocates, who helped define early feminism and abolitionism- from its roots in the Seneca Fall's Convention, to the passage of the 18th amendment granting women's suffrage in 1920.
Early feminists were so involved in abolitionism, that, after the passage of the 14-15th amendments, a split among the women's rights movement occurred due to neither amendment answering the question of women's suffrage (the split was between people who wanted to deal with equality for african americans first then deal with women- thus supporting the scale of the amendments, v. those who wanted to deal with both at the same time, or deal with women first then black rights- thus wanting the government to do more for both groups).

After the stonewall riots, feminists and civil rights activists were often the first to stand behind gay right's activists. In 2012, Gloria Steinem even declared that gay and women's rights movements were essentially the same thing at their core levels- they both fight against a socially conservative agenda that seeks to enforce sexual norms and restrictively define gender roles.

All three movements towards equal rights and treatment fight against the archaic and unrealistic idea that there is and should be only one socially acceptable definition of a male or female human being.

Ok, now that Ive put out my two cents, what do y'all think? Am I right in thinking that BLM is not doing enough/that it has brought the harsh criticism upon itself?
adlr

First name: Adrian
Likes received: 1

Unread postby Dessy » 27th March, 2016, 1:24 pm

Unpopular opinion is fine! They make for more interesting discussion and help people see the other viewpoints.

adlr wrote:Oh jeez, sorry in advance for the unpopular opinion, but...

I don't like BLM and I think they aren't doing good in a, well, good way.

I admire the intent, and of course agree that there is a serious problem with racism in some parts of the US. But I do not think that BLM is doing a great job at respectively, intelligently, and effectively helping to provide solutions. More than anything else, I think that BLM isn't doing nearly enough.

The criticism of BLM has been brought upon them by themselves, IMO.

A great example of this is the BLM activists who crashed Bernie Sanders' event in Seattle a few months ago. They accused Sanders of not paying enough attention to the race issues that the US is struggling with, even when Sanders is a known civil rights advocate who was heavily involved in the movement during his youth in NYC. Even his arguments about economics- especially involving the raising of the minimum wage- are extremely relevant to the black right's cause (even raising the federal minimum wage to $15 per hour would give 50% of black Americans a raise, according to Sanders himself).

Black Lives Matter has been criticized for this because they, or at least the activists who took part in the event, didn't bother to figure out whose party they were crashing and how ridiculous it would make them look to mess around with a civil right's activist's event.

There's bound to be some disruptive elements working negatively or not having an impact toward their goals in any movement. And a movement on this scale will always have backlash, especially when you're dealing with a country that previously pretended that racism was no longer a strong issue (with the election of Obama in '08) and seemed rigid in ignoring it. And it's also important in looking into who's pushing these criticisms. Over the years I seen them mostly from conservative groups and racists who seem determined to discredit the movement at every turn.
And not all blacks are with Sanders' policies, especially those in the South who would lend more conservative economically. I mean free college? That would do far more harm than good in some states since it needs to take several levels of government to really achieve that. And guess who are going to get most of the blunt of the impact? Poor black folks.
Regardless I think Bernie did the right thing in giving them time to speak even though he could've had them kicked out (or punched out like a certain candidate requested...)

On top of this, the movement doesn't seem to have done much at all to help the black rights movement in a substantial way. There is only so much that a protest can do. We need legal and political action outside of simply having sit-ins and tame protests. One of the reasons why MLK and the civil rights movement were so successful is because they were able to attract support through mass resistance/ protest. BLM has so far and for the most part been incapable of this.

I think bringing blacks issues into the Presidential race is a key success of the movement seeing as both Bernie and Hillary are forced to look into the issues more. You mentioned before that they disrupted Bernie's rally. Bernie's rushed to release his criminal justice platform after the event. The movement has done well in pushing candidates and seeing where they lean.
Even then the movement brought more awareness to police brutality, that can't really be denied. Government leaders has in the past year attempted to shake-up their police forces and policies in hope of combating police brutality and corruption. Protests in universities are raising points about the real diversity of college that claimed to be diverse. Even my own college believed this and has is now taking actions to increase diversity efforts on all sides.

You're also claiming that it is unable to attract mass resistance and protests. I'm curious as to how you're defining mass, cause we're talking about a movement that started mostly as protests in a city to a national organization with international support. I don't think even MLK had the same mass support, especially without the power of social media as a tool. And in term of recent political and social upheaval, it can most definitely be argued that the movement had far more impact that the Occupy Wall Street Movement and the Tea Party movement (which actually hold government offices).

I think claiming that they haven't done anything substantial for the lives of black people is just flat-out wrong, it's having a strong effect physically, morally, and culturally. It also give many of us hope. Now I won't claim this movement to be perfect, it's hardly is and it's still in its infancy. You mentioned MLK but he didn't get to where he was in the first few year with ease, it took time for him to amass support and maintain the concept of peaceful protest in a time when racial tension were at an all-time high. Even when he made strides it still took years for them to actually come into place (even after his death).

But a lot of things should definitely be improved. There need to be more structure in the movements, who are the definite leaders and who are just supporters? More organized and tactful protests and action. How are we protecting protesters and preventing them from growing violence? Outside of police brutality and criminal justice reform, what else should we focus on efforts on?

Ok, now that Ive put out my two cents, what do y'all think? Am I right in thinking that BLM is not doing enough/that it has brought the harsh criticism upon itself?

I'm sure I answered your questions but to summarize I think you're underestimating the impact of BLM and not looking at its potential to grow and improve itself, and while it is certainly not without criticisms I think many of them are pushed by a public that is living in ignorance to be frank. Not to mention the criticisms are drawing eerie similarities to the civil rights movement. "You're furthering racial divide in this country." "The police are there to enforce the law." "Your movement is promoting violence." "I don't see a problem, so why are you making a problem?"
But some criticisms are definitely brought upon itself like verbally and physically opposing dissenters, interrupting political rallies for people looking to learn more about a candidate, and not really persuading as much as simply disagreeing.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Dessy
Moderator Emeriti

Unread postby Cobalt » 27th March, 2016, 5:46 pm

Hi, there are extremists in every movement such as BLM, feminism, Islam, etc but you can't judge the entire movement and its positive social justice goals based on the actions of a few (rightfully) angry protestors.
Cobalt
Mafia Mom

Likes received: 136

Team: The Far East

Unread postby Cobalt » 27th March, 2016, 5:47 pm

I too witnessed the rather appalling signature in question and believe this to be a very necessary discussion to have on the forum. I'll be weighing in to full extent at a further date.
Cobalt
Mafia Mom

Unread postby Sullivan » 28th March, 2016, 8:15 am

What's this signature that has everyone in a huff?

For once I wish I didn't have them hidden.
Sullivan
Member.

Likes received: 2

Unread postby Tim. » 28th March, 2016, 9:00 am

Sullivan wrote:What's this signature that has everyone in a huff?

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=59210
Don't know if you can see it on the profile if you have them off. I'd never seen it before, but my first guess for which member it belonged to was correct :facepalm:.

Sorry Des I don't have much to add. This whole topic is not something I know much about sadly. Thanks for the informative post though was a well put together and interesting read about something I had previously only heard snippets of.

Tim.
The Southern Moderator

First name: Tim
Likes received: 150

Unread postby Unseasoned Chicken » 28th March, 2016, 9:08 am

Tim. wrote:

Don't know if you can see it on the profile if you have them off. I'd never seen it before, but my first guess for which member it belonged to was correct :facepalm:.

Sorry Des I don't have much to add. This whole topic is not something I know much about sadly. Thanks for the informative post though was a well put together and interesting read about something I had previously only heard snippets of.

Aww he changed it. It was something along the lines of "never underestimate the power of stupid people in large group" following by pictures of the democratic part, social justice fighters, black lives matter movement and the church i believe.
Twink enthusiast

ImageImage

ImageImage
Unseasoned Chicken
Is shaking

First name: Ethan
Likes received: 649

Unread postby Dessy » 28th March, 2016, 9:52 am

trxuvaille wrote:
Tim. wrote:

Aww he changed it. It was something along the lines of "never underestimate the power of stupid people in large group" following by pictures of the democratic part, social justice fighters, black lives matter movement and the church i believe.

And the feminist movement.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Dessy
Moderator Emeriti

Unread postby Callum » 28th March, 2016, 1:37 pm

If a member wants to have a certain signature on his profile then that is the members choice and the moderators and other members shouldn't be getting involved (even if they are triggered by it). I haven't seen the signature in question but I believe it is an anti-BLM signature. There's nothing wrong with that unless it is very offensive (which it isn't, from what I've heard about it).

And as for my opinion on the Black Lives Matter movement, I lost all respect for it after they started rioting and acting like a bunch of thugs. It got that bad the army had to be sent in to restore order. Most of them where probably there for a piss up and senseless violence.
Callum
We Could Be Heroes

First name: Callum

Unread postby Sullivan » 28th March, 2016, 7:15 pm

Callum wrote:And as for my opinion on the Black Lives Matter movement, I lost all respect for it after they started rioting and acting like a bunch of thugs. It got that bad the army had to be sent in to restore order. Most of them where probably there for a piss up and senseless violence.

They don't deserve this kind of demonization.

I don't know what you're talking about as far as the military action goes, but I assume you're referencing Ferguson, where the court system operated as a for-profit venture funded by the police discriminatively targeting African Americans.

How are protests against that kind of injustice "senseless violence"? They seem to me an understandable, albeit unfortunate, manifestation of quite legitimate discontent.
Sullivan
Member.

Likes received: 2

Unread postby Dessy » 28th March, 2016, 7:29 pm

Callum wrote:If a member wants to have a certain signature on his profile then that is the members choice and the moderators and other members shouldn't be getting involved (even if they are triggered by it). I haven't seen the signature in question but I believe it is an anti-BLM signature. There's nothing wrong with that unless it is very offensive (which it isn't, from what I've heard about it).

Calling a legitimate group working to improve the lives of black people in america "stupid" isn't offensive? Let check Google.

Yea, no. Members have a right to get involved if they feel that their interests are being represented wrongly or are offended at the notion of something. This is a forum where we can discuss things after all. Besides the member in question still apparently doesn't get it nor offered his opinions on the movement in this topic.

Callum wrote:And as for my opinion on the Black Lives Matter movement, I lost all respect for it after they started rioting and acting like a bunch of thugs. It got that bad the army had to be sent in to restore order. Most of them where probably there for a piss up and senseless violence.

When did we started rioting? I only remember the earlier days of the movement with protests in Baltimore and Ferguson descending into chaos. Either way you'd be foolish to assume that the rioters are even part of the movement and letting the few of them represent a much larger group. Meanwhile the more recent protests from the movement have hardly descended into chaos.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Dessy
Moderator Emeriti

Unread postby Cobalt » 29th March, 2016, 9:23 am

Here we go again with the "thug" rhetoric.

Thug may as well be labeled as a slur at this point. Because what does it mean to white people? It means scary criminal black people. To reduce the ENTIRE Black Lives Matter movement which is against the police brutality that black people face across the country on a daily basis to label them all as criminals is ludicrous.

Not to mention, when protests in Ferguson and Baltimore became violent, much of the needless violence was - guess who? - white people taking advantage of the chaos to loot and act violently as well.

Sullivan wrote:

They don't deserve this kind of demonization.

I don't know what you're talking about as far as the military action goes, but I assume you're referencing Ferguson, where the court system operated as a for-profit venture funded by the police discriminatively targeting African Americans.

How are protests against that kind of injustice "senseless violence"? They seem to me an understandable, albeit unfortunate, manifestation of quite legitimate discontent.

I agree with this one hundred and twenty percent.

Look at Stonewall. Look at Civil Rights protests. Not all of them were peaceful. Look at sit-ins, hippies, peaceful protests that were then made violent by police. Look at how police have SAT PEACEFULLY PROTESTING UNIVERSITY STUDENTS IN A LINE AND PEPPER SPRAYED THEM ALL IN THE FACE.

It is our right as people to protest and upheave against an oppressive government. Should such protests become violent, while I do not condone violence, it has happened in history as a result of said groups of people feeling a lot of rightfully placed anger against the system that has beaten on them physically and figuratively since day one, and such reactions of violence should not be demonized to the point of the rather disgusting "thug" label.

You're on the same side of history as the people who called Civil Rights protestors "thugs" Callum.
Cobalt
Mafia Mom

Unread postby Thotiana » 29th March, 2016, 9:47 am

Callum wrote:If a member wants to have a certain signature on his profile then that is the members choice and the moderators and other members shouldn't be getting involved (even if they are triggered by it). I haven't seen the signature in question but I believe it is an anti-BLM signature. There's nothing wrong with that unless it is very offensive (which it isn't, from what I've heard about it).

And as for my opinion on the Black Lives Matter movement, I lost all respect for it after they started rioting and acting like a bunch of thugs. It got that bad the army had to be sent in to restore order. Most of them where probably there for a piss up and senseless violence.

I'm not going to make any comments on the movement because I'm not familiar with it. But I have to disagree with you in that the moderators and other members shouldn't be getting involved with the signature. Just like how he has the right to put up any signature he wants, anyways else has the right to voice their opinions if they have a problem with it. I actually admire those who stand up for what they believe in. We wouldn't be going anywhere in society if no one stood up for themselves. It's not like they were blatantly attacking him and naming names. Des brought up this thread to inform and spread awareness on this topic. I think it's a good way to help spread awareness and to educate others so people aren't so ignorant.
Thotiana
Classy Hoe

First name: Steven
Likes received: 7

Unread postby Jacketh » 29th March, 2016, 9:49 am

Thotiana wrote:

I'm not going to make any comments on the movement because I'm not familiar with it. But I have to disagree with you in that the moderators and other members shouldn't be getting involved with the signature. Just like how he has the right to put up any signature he wants, anyways else has the right to voice their opinions if they have a problem with it. I actually admire those who stand up for what they believe in. We wouldn't be going anywhere in society if no one stood up for themselves. It's not like they were blatantly attacking him and naming names. Des brought up this thread to inform and spread awareness on this topic. I think it's a good way to help spread awareness and to educate others so people aren't so ignorant.

Yup. If users want to criticise certain movements in their signature, they're more than welcome to do that - we're not for oppression on here. Anyone can voice their opinion, which includes opinions back at the signature in question.

But this is a really good thread. You don't get through to people by silencing them, ever.
Jacketh
Admin

First name: Jack
Likes received: 627

Unread postby Goobriel » 29th March, 2016, 6:06 pm

:nod:
I was never here
Goobriel
elf making british toys

First name: John Doe
Likes received: 4

Next

Recently active