Women In Politics Who Inspire You

A forum for respectful discussion & exchange of views on news, current affairs & thought-provoking topics; please read and be aware of the guidelines prior to posting.

Forum rules

Welcome to the News, Current Affairs & Debate subforum.

This forum is the place for intellectual discussions relating to news, current affairs, or philosophical & scientific debates. There are some guidelines that apply specifically to posts in this forum, of which you will be expected to have made yourself aware before participating. They are as follows:

• Intellectually stimulating topics only. If you can't have a deep discussion about something, it does not belong here.
  • If you're going to post, have something to say. When you make a new thread, write the initial post in a way that provides an introduction to the topic and invites further discussion. You could tell us how you feel and why, but always aim for constructive responses that further a discussion about the ideas involved, rather than a simple list of people's views. (Instead of asking "Are you a vegetarian?", discuss some of the arguments involved.) This guideline likewise applies for responses to topics.
  • Write using good English. That means full sentences with proper capitalisation, punctuation, spelling and grammar. No one is perfect, though; this is not an invitation to criticise others for minor mistakes.
  • Be nice. This is a forum for rational discourse, not flame wars. No one is always right. Be respectful of other people's views and accept that we are all entitled to our own.

These guidelines will be enforced by the moderators based on their best judgement, and anyone who does not take them seriously will lose the privilege of posting here. Spammers will be banned from the entire forum.

Women In Politics Who Inspire You

Unread postby TheBrunswickian » 7th November, 2016, 8:46 am

Just humour me for a moment here.

With Hilary Clinton looking set to take home the 2016 Presidential election, I have taken a moment to reflect and think of women in politics who inspire me. I encourage you to do the same. Tell us which women in politics inspire you, who you think are awesome, who you aspire to be like. It can be anyone, from any country, for any reason.

Julia Gillard

Positions Held:

Prime Minister of Australia: 2010 - 2013
Deputy Prime Minister: 2007 - 2010
Minister for Education: 2007 - 2010

Why:
Julia Gillard was the first female Prime Minister of Australia, and controversially set in motion what became known as the 'Revolving Door of PMs', by replacing Kevin Rudd in 2010. Despite forming a fragile minority government - relying on four crossbenchers for confidence and supply - she managed to get most of her legislative agenda passed through parliament. She introduced a tax on carbon, a mining super-profits tax, increased education and health funding. However for me, the moment that inspires me most is when she stood up to the sexist treatment and misogynistic attitudes towards her in parliament and the media - immortalising the words "I will not be lectured by sexism and misogyny by this man" in Australian political history. Despite all the shit she copped from the media and the Opposition, she weathered the storm and then she shut the down in style. I still think Kevin Rudd removing her from office in 2013 was a terrible mistake.
Tzipi Livni

Positions Held:
Minister of Finance: 2013 - 2014
Leader of the Opposition: 2009 - 2012
Minister of Foreign Affairs: 2006 - 2009

Why:
Tzipi Livni is an Israeli politician who has been in politics for nearly 20 years, who has served in a litany of ministerial portfolios, as well as representing a number of parties. She was born into an elite, right-wing family and served in both the Israeli Defence Force and the Mossad. When Olmert resigned as Prime Minister in 2008, she became leader of Kadima and was named Prime Minister-designate but failed to form government because she refused to sell out to the demands of the right-wing Shas Party. She then became the Leader of the Opposition, but lost the leadership of Kadima. She formed Hatunah and became Minister of Justice under Netanyahu in 2013. I admire the strength and determination she has displayed throughout her career, but specifically her refusal to sell out her principles for the Prime Minister's office: "If someone is willing to sell out his principles for the job, he is not worthy of it". She is currently co-leader of the Zionist Union with Isaac Herzog - an alliance between Labor and Hatunah.

Michelle Obama

Positions Held:
First Lady of the United States: 2009 - 2017

Why:
It's Michelle Obama! She is fucking awesome! In all seriousness, her passion for her campaigns - education, children's health, women's rights - is just so inspiring to me. She is stalwart and strong and endearing. She has been strong over the past eight years in the White House with her support for progressive politics, for her family, for rights for people all over the world.
House Cup 2016 - Team Westeros
House Cup 2017 - Team Lion King
Year Cup 2017/18 - The Far East

TheBrunswickian
Data Collector, Community Ambassador

First name: Jesse
Likes received: 361

Re: Women In Politics Who Inspire You

Unread postby Jacketh » 7th November, 2016, 9:45 am

She doesn't inspire me, I just saw one interview and she seemed fucking awesome.

In all seriousness, I'm not really sure. No one really stands out on a persona level, which is pretty sad. Michelle Obama has always carried herself well and with dignity. I'd probably say her.

Or this sass god.

Jacketh
Admin

First name: Jack
Likes received: 627

Unread postby JonathanT88 » 7th November, 2016, 11:05 am

Regardless of your political beliefs, she's a pretty outstanding politician.
Gudrun wrote:

"How many times have I told you? Homosexuality is only to be used for revolutionary purposes!"

Image ImageImage

ImageImageImage
JonathanT88
Horny Jonathan of the Homosexual Intifada

First name: Jonathan (duh.)
Likes received: 574

Team: The Wild West

Unread postby Sturgeon » 7th November, 2016, 11:14 am

JonathanT88 wrote:Image

Regardless of your political beliefs, she's a pretty outstanding politician.

She's too busy trying to merge the British Transport Police with Police Scotland, just to purge the word 'British' from the lives of everyday Scots than to actually look after her own constituency.
Steam
Image Image Image
"A fully equipped duke costs as much to keep up as two Dreadnoughts, and dukes are just as great a terror— and they last longer" - David Lloyd George
Sturgeon
Carbona Not Glue

First name: Sam
Likes received: 93

Unread postby Sturgeon » 7th November, 2016, 11:55 am

Well since we're apparently doing unelected figures without portfolio then HM Queen Elizabeth II has always done everything within her duty as the sovereign and has represented us phenomenally well for over 60 years.

In her old age, HM's continued dedication to her role as sovereign never ceases to amaze me, recently attending royal duties with a severe and painful-looking bloodshot eye. Furthermore, for the first time in her long reign, the remembrance wreath HM will lay at the cenotaph on Remembrance Sunday will be made lighter on account of her advancing age.

God save the fucking queen
Steam
Image Image Image
"A fully equipped duke costs as much to keep up as two Dreadnoughts, and dukes are just as great a terror— and they last longer" - David Lloyd George
Sturgeon
Carbona Not Glue

Unread postby muddylegs » 7th November, 2016, 12:23 pm

merkel wrote:Image

Well since we're apparently doing unelected figures without portfolio then HM Queen Elizabeth II has always done everything within her duty as the sovereign and has represented us phenomenally well for over 60 years.

In her old age, HM's continued dedication to her role as sovereign never ceases to amaze me, recently attending royal duties with a severe and painful-looking bloodshot eye. Furthermore, for the first time in her long reign, the remembrance wreath HM will lay at the cenotaph on Remembrance Sunday will be made lighter on account of her advancing age.

God save the fucking queen

Queen Elizabeth truly gives me faith in the monarchy, she is so incredible. :heart:
[6:50 PM] Flaggermus: muddy you cant just lynch people
[11:09 AM] TheWoahAlex: you can't lynch everyone!
[9:14 PM] Mestaris: MUDDY YOU CANT LYNCH PEOPLE. LYNCHING PEOPLE IS NOT A SOLUTION
[2:32 PM] Zefare: Muddy, you can't just lynch people!
[2:23 PM] bettasnail: you have a thing for lynching ppl don't you
[7:59 PM] AwesomeCDog: muddyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy not everyone is ready and willing to hurt others
[9:42 PM] matiboi96: Lol rob you can't just order someone to amputate themselves!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

[5:32 PM] Tyler: Fuck me sideways and call me grandma

[7:38 PM] Mestaris: your fetishes are worse than mine

Scherzy wrote:wonderfully creative, awesomely cute, horribly funny, uncomfortably morbid, relatively fucked-up, and outright twisted
muddylegs
Coca-Cola Poster BOY

Likes received: 140

Unread postby George » 7th November, 2016, 12:26 pm

Mummy Thatcher <3
Image Hi, I'm George. Never met Me before? Image
George
Diaper Rash

First name: George
Likes received: 124

Unread postby JonathanT88 » 7th November, 2016, 12:27 pm

Even though she was a Communist revolutionary, she was fairly sensible in the pursuit of her beliefs and I think it takes great courage to be a female revolutionary leader when woman's rights were at such an infantile stage.

And don't forget THE other female German politician, Angela Merkel. Nobody will ever be quite as great as she is.
Gudrun wrote:

"How many times have I told you? Homosexuality is only to be used for revolutionary purposes!"

Image ImageImage

ImageImageImage
JonathanT88
Horny Jonathan of the Homosexual Intifada

First name: Jonathan (duh.)
Likes received: 574

Team: The Wild West

Unread postby Sturgeon » 7th November, 2016, 12:54 pm

JonathanT88 wrote:Image

And don't forget THE other female German politician, Angela Merkel. Nobody will ever be quite as great as she is.

Who even is this has-been?
Steam
Image Image Image
Sturgeon
Carbona Not Glue

Unread postby Jacketh » 7th November, 2016, 1:05 pm

merkel wrote:Who even is this has-been?

One of the soon-to-be dynamic trio.

Jacketh
Admin

First name: Jack
Likes received: 627

Unread postby Sturgeon » 7th November, 2016, 5:23 pm

Jacketh wrote:

It's going to be a short lived girl band. There's not a chance Merkel will be re-elected. Union J will last longer than this train wreck.
Steam
Image Image Image
Sturgeon
Carbona Not Glue

Unread postby Dessy » 7th November, 2016, 5:25 pm

Michelle Obama and Elizabeth Warren I guess.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Dessy
Moderator Emeriti

First name: Des
Likes received: 307

Unread postby Nicholas » 7th November, 2016, 5:45 pm

I saw this topic and immediately though of Julia Gillard, mainly because of this:

I also have to say Michelle Obama. I love that lady and I love that family
Au Revoir
Nicholas
Formerly 'YourWordsAreKnives'

First name: Nicholas

Unread postby TheBrunswickian » 7th November, 2016, 10:36 pm

Nicholas wrote:I saw this topic and immediately though of Julia Gillard, mainly because of this:

YAAAAAS! I will forever love this!

TheBrunswickian

Unread postby TheBrunswickian » 8th November, 2016, 3:55 am

George wrote:Mummy Thatcher <3

merkel wrote:
Jacketh wrote:

It's going to be a short lived girl band. There's not a chance Merkel will be re-elected. Union J will last longer than this train wreck.

Just wait until Marine le Pen becomes President of France.

TheBrunswickian

Unread postby Togetik » 8th November, 2016, 4:26 am

I don't know much about her pre-this parliament but Penny Wong has been a pretty great force for labour to have around lately, having a lesbian mother of asian descent in the opposition is a great reminder of everything our current government doesn't stand for
Togetik

Likes received: 82

Unread postby Lightbringer » 8th November, 2016, 7:09 am

Nicholas wrote:I saw this topic and immediately though of Julia Gillard, mainly because of this:

If political orgasm was a thing, I think I just had one. It starts with goosebumps and leads to tingling in your stomach and a sense of intense satisfaction in the brain. :weep:

How did I miss this speech!
Lightbringer

First name: Lucas
Likes received: 19

Team: The Far East

Unread postby Dmitzi » 8th November, 2016, 12:46 pm

Margaret Thatcher.
Dmitzi

Likes received: 35

Unread postby Sturgeon » 8th November, 2016, 3:04 pm

such beauty
such elegance
such power
Steam
Image Image Image
Sturgeon
Carbona Not Glue

Unread postby Isaac » 10th November, 2016, 7:04 am

Jacketh wrote:

Oh Jack, you really need to stop predicting things.
Isaac
Sarah Palin Enthusiast

First name: Isaac
Likes received: 25

Team: The Far East

Next

Recently active