Trouble with Evolution

A forum for the respectful exchange of views on thought-provoking topics, whether sexuality-related or otherwise; please read the guidelines prior to posting.

Forum rules

Welcome to the Intellectual Discussion subforum.

This forum is the place for intellectual discussions, such as philosophical or scientific debates. There are some guidelines that apply specifically to posts in this forum, of which you will be expected to have made yourself aware before participating. They are as follows:

• Intellectually stimulating topics only. If you can't have a deep discussion about something, it does not belong here.
  • If you're going to post, have something to say. When you make a new thread, write the initial post in a way that provides an introduction to the topic and invites further discussion. You could tell us how you feel and why, but always aim for constructive responses that further a discussion about the ideas involved, rather than a simple list of people's views. (Instead of asking "Are you a vegetarian?", discuss some of the arguments involved.) This guideline likewise applies for responses to topics.
  • Write using good English. That means full sentences with proper capitalisation, punctuation, spelling and grammar. No one is perfect, though; this is not an invitation to criticise others for minor mistakes.
  • Be nice. This is a forum for rational discourse, not flame wars. No one is always right. Be respectful of other people's views and accept that we are all entitled to our own.

These guidelines will be enforced by the moderators based on their best judgement, and anyone who does not take them seriously will lose the privilege of posting here. Spammers will be banned from the entire forum.

Trouble with Evolution

Unread postby nickdesenlis » 26th March, 2017, 11:04 pm

My question for the theory of evolution is how consciousness can arise from unconscious physical substances and their properties (forces, physical laws, etc)? I think I can say that almost everyone agrees absolutely nothing can come from literal nothing/nothingness. In other words, something existent cannot come from something nonexistent because nonexistence simply doesn’t exist to begin with, nothing is itself nothing. Similarly I don’t see how life, specifically consciousness, can come from something without any consciousness. How does the complex interrelation of entirely unconscious particles birth consciousness? It seems to me that it cannot, for it would be a contradiction for it to be so.

Consciousness cannot be completely composed of unconscious particles in the same way a house built of entirely red bricks cannot be blue. In that case, my conclusion is that particles must have latent consciousness to some degree, else it couldn't form human consciousness upon its conjoining to become a complex unit. Anyone have any thoughts on this? How does evolution solve for this if not with my conclusion?
nickdesenlis

First name: Nick

Re: Trouble with Evolution

Unread postby Togetik » 27th March, 2017, 1:37 am

You'd have to define consciousness to really ask this question. Are fish conscious? Are arthropods? Are sea sponges? Are microorganisms? Are bacteria? Are cells? Are proteins? Are chemicals?
Togetik

Likes received: 81

Unread postby PHMED » 27th March, 2017, 1:53 am

These are questions that have been unanswered in science, no one here is capable of answering this question for you.

However, there was never such thing as "nothing". Everything today existed in a single singularity. The universe has since expanded from the explosion of this singularity. This can be explained by the Doppler Effect (physics theory).

On a side note: My physics professor from last quarter talked about how it is very interesting that the number of galaxies in the universe are almost equal to the number of neurons in many species on this planet. There were other commonalities that I do not remember at the moment, but I thought it was sort of interesting when he lectured it.
PHMED

Likes received: 4

Unread postby Scherzy » 27th March, 2017, 4:57 am

In short, the "counciousness" in our minds comes from energy within a neural system, our brain. That energy doesn't magically appear out of nowhere, living organisms have been able to extract energy from substances with series of complex chemical reactions for, well, the history of living organisms (mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell, ring any bells?). Yes, counciousness isn't entirely understood by science yet, but it's likely not an entirely seperate entity from the rest of the physical world.
ImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Scherzy
Community Ambassador

First name: Aiden
Likes received: 179

Unread postby _Jay » 8th May, 2017, 3:59 pm

Since you haven't defined consciousness, I'm going to assume you mean the ability for someone to be aware of its own existence.

I think the idea of consciousness arising from something unconsciousness is simply a fallacy since it is evident that has occurred. Evolution is a long process of change and the ability for ourselves to become conscious did not simply happen on a certain day as that is not how the key principles of evolution work.

You talk about how unconscious particles suddenly become conscious. Obviously, single cells in our body do not have consciousness. However, when looking at the body as a whole we do indeed have consciousness. So it is not a matter of single cells having consciousness, but instead all the complex organs in bodies , IE: the brain, that allows us to be conscious. This is evident as a not fully developed fetus, is not conscious since it's organs are not developed enough yet for this to be the case.

This is just my opinion based on the current science. Correct me if I am wrong in what I've said, this is quite an interesting topic.
_Jay

First name: Jay
Likes received: 1

Unread postby FirePhantom » 8th May, 2017, 4:22 pm

Where do you stack up amongst GTFers? Tell how tall you are here! Stand tall and tower over all? Or compare and despair?
FirePhantom
Valar Dohaeris

First name: Brenden
Likes received: 49

Unread postby Finch » 9th May, 2017, 7:01 am

Consciousness as we know it could be understood as a number of complex cognitive and affective functions that work in conjunction with one another to create a more rounded or "intelligent" perception of the world. While it's hard to imagine any mutation causing such a dramatic change in a being without consciousness, it's completely conceivable that these functions developed over several millennia and after numerous mutations and generations.

For example, many plants have a nervous system similar to our own, though their neurons are quite different from our own in terms of structure. However, there are very few species of plants capable of doing anything beyond basic nervous functions like sensing where sunlight comes from using these nervous systems. Among these, there are even fewer that are capable of learning, such as the mimosa pudica fern, though it was previously theorised that plants are unable to learn due to their lack of a brain, which led humans to assume that they were incapable of acquired learning.
Though this intelligence on a basic level seems like a far fetch from our idea of consciousness, from an evolutionary standpoint, this gradual growth from "unconscious" to conscious through improved use of physiological systems developed to improve survivability and adaptability after numerous mutations and generations actually not so far away from our own ability to perceive and interact with the world around us.
I finally found something to put here!

Finch
the mom friend

First name: Joseph
Likes received: 58

Recently active