Is the European union good or bad?

A forum for respectful discussion & exchange of views on news, current affairs & thought-provoking topics; please read and be aware of the guidelines prior to posting.

Forum rules

Welcome to the News, Current Affairs & Debate subforum.

This forum is the place for intellectual discussions relating to news, current affairs, or philosophical & scientific debates. There are some guidelines that apply specifically to posts in this forum, of which you will be expected to have made yourself aware before participating. They are as follows:

• Intellectually stimulating topics only. If you can't have a deep discussion about something, it does not belong here.
  • If you're going to post, have something to say. When you make a new thread, write the initial post in a way that provides an introduction to the topic and invites further discussion. You could tell us how you feel and why, but always aim for constructive responses that further a discussion about the ideas involved, rather than a simple list of people's views. (Instead of asking "Are you a vegetarian?", discuss some of the arguments involved.) This guideline likewise applies for responses to topics.
  • Write using good English. That means full sentences with proper capitalisation, punctuation, spelling and grammar. No one is perfect, though; this is not an invitation to criticise others for minor mistakes.
  • Be nice. This is a forum for rational discourse, not flame wars. No one is always right. Be respectful of other people's views and accept that we are all entitled to our own.

These guidelines will be enforced by the moderators based on their best judgement, and anyone who does not take them seriously will lose the privilege of posting here. Spammers will be banned from the entire forum.

Is the European union good or bad?

Unread postby Erebos » 26th April, 2017, 3:45 pm

So since the Eu has been under some stress the last years and it is possibble it comes even more under stress I had to ask the question: is the Eu beneficial for Europe? I for one think it is, but a lot of people seem to disagree. I think it because Europe needs to stand strong between superpowers like China and the Usa, it is good for trade and for peace. What do you guys think?

Also, sorry if this has already been discussed.
Bring me a shrubbbery!
Erebos

Likes received: 6

Team: The Wild West

Re: Is the European union good or bad?

Unread postby TheBrunswickian » 26th April, 2017, 10:06 pm

I personally support the European Union. I think it has been a force for good, and that it has ultimately contributed to peace on the continent. However, I think it needs to be reformed. It has some major flaws and significant chronic bureaucratic deadlock. As I have stated elsewhere:
- The European Central Bank needs to be answerable to someone and made more transparent
- The Commission needs to be streamlined and made more accountable to the Parliament
- The Parliament needs to be held in higher standing and valued in elections (turn out of 33% guys is shit)
- A European Finance Minister, appointed by the Council and answerable to them and the Parliament, should oversee the fiscal and monetary policy of the Union.
House Cup 2016 - Team Westeros
House Cup 2017 - Team Lion King
Year Cup 2017/18 - The Far East

TheBrunswickian
Data Collector, Community Ambassador

First name: Jesse
Likes received: 361

Team: The Far East

Unread postby Vortex » 26th April, 2017, 11:14 pm

I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, it's probably the most capitalistic organization on earth. In a bad way. I really liked Jean Luc Melenchon's criticisms. That said, I was anti Brexit, because I believe that Brexit happened for the wrong reason.

There's a wave of anti establishment fury sweeping the west. It has two sides. Side A is to blame immigrants for the failures of neoliberalism. Side B is to blame bankers and corporations for doing things like outsourcing our jobs to line their own pockets.

I'm Side B, Brexit was generally more Side A.
ImageImageImage

Ebsy wrote:Leave it to losers on Twitter to complain about being pandered to. You're supposed to complain when someone panders to others, not to you.
[4:46 AM] Saint Drogo: Also, you've got a strangely appealing asshole. I'll give you that much.
[6:03 AM] Pity: Omg... stop making me sound like a racist idiot
[4:51 AM] Scherzy: jerk off to clinton in the safety of your own bedroom luv
[2:56 PM] Saint Drogo: Literally let me use my cock as a paintbrush and my unborn children as paint.
Vortex
Saint Drogo's mistress.

First name: Da'Neil Boxley
Likes received: 280

Team: The Wild West

Unread postby George » 27th April, 2017, 12:03 pm

The European Union is a fundamentally good organisation. For the first time in European History, we have managed to go almost a century without some war in Europe. Our people are closer together than ever. We trade, we share, we explore together as one proper union.

We came *this* fucking close to the perfect European state, and its all gone to shit over nationalist "muh history" fantasies at the expense of the working man. Its disgusting. I won't pretend the EU is without flaws, it could be more clear and sometimes more vocal,but the main issue of the EU is that it has too little power to solve crises, but too much power for nationalists to blame it for them.
Image Hi, I'm George. Never met Me before? Image
George
Diaper Rash

First name: George
Likes received: 124

Unread postby Stark » 27th April, 2017, 7:07 pm

I call myself a European federalist but not a EU supporter. The power structures in the EU are incredibly undemocratic and subservient to the demands of financial elites, thinly covered by a veneer of democracy in the Parliament. The financial elites in the Troika have taken over most major policy issues in the EU, from the toppling of Greece's democratic government to the hard-line freedom of movement despite the economic damage wrought on countries with high levels of emigration and the wrongly-dismissed threat of xenophobic movements in countries with high levels of immigration. To get the European Union back on track, it needs fundamental reform to make it accountable to the Parliament and a concerted effort to energise interest in European-level politics for people who still feel very much tied to their home country. Both are mammoth tasks for different reasons; the former because it goes against the interests of entrenched elites, the latter because it would require a cultural shift bigger than anything seen in modern European history. So overall, I'm a little sceptical as to where we go from here.

Mark Blyth gives a very good critique on the EU during this (also very interesting) lecture.
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Stark
Yekaterina Petrovna Zamolodchikova

First name: Joe
Likes received: 159

Unread postby TheBrunswickian » 27th April, 2017, 10:01 pm

Literally when was the Greek government toppled?
House Cup 2016 - Team Westeros
House Cup 2017 - Team Lion King
Year Cup 2017/18 - The Far East

TheBrunswickian
Data Collector, Community Ambassador

First name: Jesse
Likes received: 361

Team: The Far East

Unread postby Jacketh » 27th April, 2017, 11:13 pm

Stark wrote:I call myself a European federalist but not a EU supporter. The power structures in the EU are incredibly undemocratic and subservient to the demands of financial elites, thinly covered by a veneer of democracy in the Parliament. The financial elites in the Troika have taken over most major policy issues in the EU, from the toppling of Greece's democratic government to the hard-line freedom of movement despite the economic damage wrought on countries with high levels of emigration and the wrongly-dismissed threat of xenophobic movements in countries with high levels of immigration. To get the European Union back on track, it needs fundamental reform to make it accountable to the Parliament and a concerted effort to energise interest in European-level politics for people who still feel very much tied to their home country. Both are mammoth tasks for different reasons; the former because it goes against the interests of entrenched elites, the latter because it would require a cultural shift bigger than anything seen in modern European history. So overall, I'm a little sceptical as to where we go from here.

Mark Blyth gives a very good critique on the EU during this (also very interesting) lecture.

Yep, I pretty much agree with this.

I wanted us to stay in the EU for sure though. For all its faults, there is worker and environmental protection rooted in its in legislation - I fear our Conservative government will not replace or eventually repeal them.

Deals like TTIP being negotiated were not okay with me, but the collective pressure put on the EU over TTIP led it essentially being dead in the water. I fear that our trade agreements with the US (and other countries) will be worse than TTIP - particularly considering the Conservatives were absolutely clear about their support for TTIP.
Jacketh
Admin

First name: Jack
Likes received: 627

Unread postby Littlenorthernboy » 28th April, 2017, 6:34 am

Better movement of citizens (travel, for educational purposes for example), goods (import and export) and is bringing environment in to discussions.
Ofc many disagree with financial politics or immigration.
I would like immigration to be humane.

Pretty much agreeing with George on this one. Except, EU could have the power to solve crises, just that the outcome would be unknown due to multiple factors, from which US-Russia polarization status quo would be the first one. EU is too afraid to change the status quo that US is the sole western power acting millitarily straight forward against Russia or its allies.
Littlenorthernboy

Likes received: 29

Recently active