How would you feel about GTF being populated with straights

A forum for the respectful exchange of views on thought-provoking topics, whether sexuality-related or otherwise; please read the guidelines prior to posting.

Forum rules

Welcome to the Intellectual Discussion subforum.

This forum is the place for intellectual discussions, such as philosophical or scientific debates. There are some guidelines that apply specifically to posts in this forum, of which you will be expected to have made yourself aware before participating. They are as follows:

• Intellectually stimulating topics only. If you can't have a deep discussion about something, it does not belong here.
  • If you're going to post, have something to say. When you make a new thread, write the initial post in a way that provides an introduction to the topic and invites further discussion. You could tell us how you feel and why, but always aim for constructive responses that further a discussion about the ideas involved, rather than a simple list of people's views. (Instead of asking "Are you a vegetarian?", discuss some of the arguments involved.) This guideline likewise applies for responses to topics.
  • Write using good English. That means full sentences with proper capitalisation, punctuation, spelling and grammar. No one is perfect, though; this is not an invitation to criticise others for minor mistakes.
  • Be nice. This is a forum for rational discourse, not flame wars. No one is always right. Be respectful of other people's views and accept that we are all entitled to our own.

These guidelines will be enforced by the moderators based on their best judgement, and anyone who does not take them seriously will lose the privilege of posting here. Spammers will be banned from the entire forum.

Re: How would you feel about GTF being populated with straights

Unread postby TheBrunswickian » 1st May, 2017, 11:30 pm

Cxurujeto wrote:
Ned wrote:
Cxurujeto wrote:GTF. Gay Teen Forum.

I can at least maybe come to understand a trans person here maybe.

You can at least maybe come to understand a trans person here??

You're aware there have been many, right? This isn't just a place for gay males, you have to be aware of that surely.

Yes I do know that, I've been here almost as long as you. :tea:

gay and trans are two separate things, you have to be aware of that surely.

We have had a few too many debates on trans people here before to make me feel like this forum would be accepting of trans people. For the most part I think we would, but that Arty thread... yikes
House Cup 2016 - Team Westeros
House Cup 2017 - Team Lion King

TheBrunswickian
Data Collector, Community Ambassador

First name: Jesse
Likes received: 346

Unread postby Ned » 1st May, 2017, 11:38 pm

TheBrunswickian wrote:
Cxurujeto wrote:
Ned wrote:

You're aware there have been many, right? This isn't just a place for gay males, you have to be aware of that surely.

We have had a few too many debates on trans people here before to make me feel like this forum would be accepting of trans people. For the most part I think we would, but that Arty thread... yikes

I don't think I communicated myself well tbh, I was more meaning that this shouldnt just be a place for gay males, and I get so angry when threads like that appear because Gay males are honestly the worst when coming to accept people under other letters of the LGBTIQ umbrella. We have to be better, and I find 'I could at least maybe come to understand a trans person' is just the weirdest kind of gatekeeping to what ideally should be a mroe accessible forum.

However this is a tangent, my fault, the thread is about the cishets.
Ned
2 small kids stacked in a trenchcoat

Likes received: 10

Unread postby Cxurujeto » 2nd May, 2017, 1:06 am

Ned wrote:
TheBrunswickian wrote:
Cxurujeto wrote:
Ned wrote:

I don't think I communicated myself well tbh, I was more meaning that this shouldnt just be a place for gay males, and I get so angry when threads like that appear because Gay males are honestly the worst when coming to accept people under other letters of the LGBTIQ umbrella. We have to be better, and I find 'I could at least maybe come to understand a trans person' is just the weirdest kind of gatekeeping to what ideally should be a mroe accessible forum.

Did you just assume my gender?

ImageImageImage
Cxurujeto
Русский

First name: Benn(ett)
Likes received: 55

Unread postby WOLFwag » 14th August, 2017, 10:50 pm

Pity wrote:Only if they're hot. Otherwise, they can take their chest bumps and "no homos" back to the locker room.

Wait, aren't you straight? No offense, I dont really care, and I agree with what you said wholeheartedly.
WOLFwag

Unread postby Pity » 14th August, 2017, 10:55 pm

WOLFwag wrote:
Pity wrote:Only if they're hot. Otherwise, they can take their chest bumps and "no homos" back to the locker room.

Wait, aren't you straight? No offense, I dont really care, and I agree with what you said wholeheartedly.

That doesn't mean I can't think like a gay guy! :lol:
Pity
hotty & disgraced member

First name: Marcus
Likes received: 485

Unread postby WOLFwag » 14th August, 2017, 11:08 pm

Pity wrote:
WOLFwag wrote:

That doesn't mean I can't think like a gay guy! :lol:

True gurl!
WOLFwag

Unread postby Zackie » 15th August, 2017, 1:12 am

If we allow them in, there's also potential to give insight to an otherwise ignorant and curious straight cis person, who genuinely may have had questions with no intentions of ever vilifying us, and even better so, it would tear down an extremist SJW-like social construct that I see a number of LGBT members and feminists falling into.

If we as a group, and as a community, strive towards acceptance and genuine query and discussion, then prohibit an interested group from partaking in said discussion based on their orientation and/or gender, we create a social echo-chamber built on hypocrisy and confirmation biases that tell us that the straight cis person will always hate us. That's just not true, but if we believe it is true, then it renders us entirely inept in having any civilized discussion with a straight cis person (or anyone who doesn't agree with us in general) about LGBT, gender roles, gender identity, etc., which would entirely underpin the tolerance and acceptance mantra of this community. The only way to keep that away is to be open and have an actual discussion with the straight cis person, and prevent the cycle of confirmation bias from ever beginning.

The site would not cater to straight people suddenly of course. This is an LGBT forum, let's keep it like that. I say the necessary boundary is keeping the topics LGBT related, or generally relatable. A straight only page on the Gay Teen Forum seems out of place. It's basically an essay for school. We appreciate and welcome the commentary, but please stay on topic, and stay relatable.
████████████████████████████████████
“Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of
who do the things no one can imagine.”
― Alan Turing

June 23 1912 - June 7 1954
Suicide via Cyanide

████████████████████████████████████
Zackie

Unread postby WOLFwag » 15th August, 2017, 10:48 pm

Ned wrote:I don't think I communicated myself well tbh, I was more meaning that this shouldnt just be a place for gay males, and I get so angry when threads like that appear because Gay males are honestly the worst when coming to accept people under other letters of the LGBTIQ umbrella. We have to be better, and I find 'I could at least maybe come to understand a trans person' is just the weirdest kind of gatekeeping to what ideally should be a mroe accessible forum.

OK I'm a gay male, and I understand and support any and all sexualities and gender identities under the LGBTQIAPD+ umbrella. I think you need to rethink your logic and be respectful to those who have to experience the same flacc as you do. You at least have the privilege of being able to act straight, my pansexual friend. Please, save your stereotyping for our straight cis male homophobic friends. :finger: :nono:
WOLFwag

Unread postby Togetik » 16th August, 2017, 3:30 am

WOLFwag wrote:OK I'm a gay male, and I understand and support any and all sexualities and gender identities under the LGBTQIAPD+ umbrella. I think you need to rethink your logic and be respectful to those who have to experience the same flacc as you do. You at least have the privilege of being able to act straight, my pansexual friend. Please, save your stereotyping for our straight cis male homophobic friends. :finger: :nono:

I don't think it's really stereotyping, i've noticed that white gay dudes are the worst for being supportive of anything outside LG in the acronym, that's not to say it's most or all but it's not exactly incredibly rare or anything.

I mean, you can see even on this forum there's a ton of transphobia from... certain members (and more than a little racism) that make this forum kind of seem outwardly hostile or inhospitable to anyone who's not a gay guy
Togetik

Likes received: 81

Unread postby Abdeltyf » 16th August, 2017, 6:07 am

This may be called Gay Teen Forum, but we all can see the LGBT rainbow on top.
I don't think a gay forum populated by straights would be very beneficial for the actual gay dudes (and girls) to look for advice or to have proper "gay chat". I mean, it's great to have straight allies, but what can a straight teenager know about gay life? I know a lot who look to GTF as a way of escape from the heterosexual environment that is around us, and for some, logging in may be the best part of their day. We all love talking to gay people because it's different and even though the LGBT+ community is not the most united one, there will be people who will judge you wherever you go. It's still better the more they understand that part of you you struggled with.

:keke:
Abdeltyf
Formerly "Winpartium"

First name: Abdeltyf
Likes received: 25

Previous

Recently active