What Do You Remember of 9/11?

A forum for the respectful exchange of views on thought-provoking topics, whether sexuality-related or otherwise; please read the guidelines prior to posting.

Forum rules

Welcome to the Intellectual Discussion subforum.

This forum is the place for intellectual discussions, such as philosophical or scientific debates. There are some guidelines that apply specifically to posts in this forum, of which you will be expected to have made yourself aware before participating. They are as follows:

• Intellectually stimulating topics only. If you can't have a deep discussion about something, it does not belong here.
  • If you're going to post, have something to say. When you make a new thread, write the initial post in a way that provides an introduction to the topic and invites further discussion. You could tell us how you feel and why, but always aim for constructive responses that further a discussion about the ideas involved, rather than a simple list of people's views. (Instead of asking "Are you a vegetarian?", discuss some of the arguments involved.) This guideline likewise applies for responses to topics.
  • Write using good English. That means full sentences with proper capitalisation, punctuation, spelling and grammar. No one is perfect, though; this is not an invitation to criticise others for minor mistakes.
  • Be nice. This is a forum for rational discourse, not flame wars. No one is always right. Be respectful of other people's views and accept that we are all entitled to our own.

These guidelines will be enforced by the moderators based on their best judgement, and anyone who does not take them seriously will lose the privilege of posting here. Spammers will be banned from the entire forum.

What Do You Remember of 9/11?

Unread postby TheBrunswickian » 11th September, 2017, 9:49 am

Since its 16 years since the devastating 9/11 attacks on the US, I thought it might be good to reflect on what we remember of that event. Many of you may not have even been alive, but everyone has certainly been affected by it. 9/11 shaped the 21st century. It redefined approaches to terrorism, and launched a war in Afghanistan that would ultimately reshape the entire global order.

This is a stunning piece about the time directly after the attacks told from the perspectives of the people around the President, and I highly recommend it: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/ ... sky-214230

So what do you remember?

I remember my mum telling me about how she heard the news. It was about 3am in Australia, and my 6 week old younger brother needed feeding as babies do at that time of morning. So she got up and turned on the television, and saw the footage of the planes hitting the WTC. She just thought it was some disaster movie and change the channel. But it was on that one too. She realized it was on repeat, over and over again on every channel.

And I remember now in my endless debates with my father over his conspiracy theories, that he was in Paris went it happened. And that he had been at the Moulin Rouge that night.

I also find it interesting that then Australian Prime Minister John Howard was in New York at the time because he had been at the United Nations, and was supposed to be returning to Australia that day, but got stuck when the no-fly order was issued.

(also please try not to make any jokes or start rambling on about conspiracy theories)
House Cup 2016 - Team Westeros
House Cup 2017 - Team Lion King

TheBrunswickian
Data Collector, Community Ambassador

First name: Jesse
Likes received: 346

Re: What Do You Remember of 9/11?

Unread postby Tim. » 11th September, 2017, 9:57 am

I was 7, and I remember my parents watching it on TV horrified that morning whilst getting ready for school. I was old enough to understand what had happened but not old enough to process it as the horrific event that it was. I remember that day at school everyone talking about 'did you see those planes fly into the buildings' I don't remember the teachers talking about it at all just student gossip. As I said we were old enough to know what happens but not exactly process it, so I have quite clear mememories of building sand towers in the sandpit and flying stick planes into them at lunchtime.

One other thing I remember which is pretty random is Ian Thorpe the Australian Olympic swimmer was meant to be up the tower at the time but forgot his camera and had to go back to the hotel to get it.

Tim.
White Tupac

First name: Tim
Likes received: 130

Unread postby Jacketh » 11th September, 2017, 10:00 am

Jesus, I had no idea it was 9/11.

Depressingly, it is actually one of my first memories. I remember my Mum and Dad just watching the TV like WTF and me being somewhat confused and not really having a clue what was happening. I was walking home from school (I must have just started, I was 4) with my Dad and my Mum was like ushering us in and was like "watch what has happened!" as I think the first tower just went down.

Although morbid, I do enjoy listening to tales of survivors and watching the documentaries about 9/11. It just seemed so surreal.

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImage
Jacketh
Admin

First name: Jack
Likes received: 548

Unread postby ConnorM » 11th September, 2017, 3:20 pm

My day care/preschool was at Monroe Community College, right next to the airport in Rochester. We had to evacuate that morning, and as I was walking out the building, some of the teachers had a TV on and I watched the second plane hit.
Being four at the time, I didn't understand yet that people had purposely crashed the plane, and I went over to my old neighbor's house across the street (I called her Grandma Joanne) to make sure that she was okay because I was terrified that a plane was going to hit her house.
Other than that, my dad was sent to NYC to help with the relief effort - apparently they used the museum ship USS Intrepid as a barracks for the army units that were stationed there.
They didn't ever tell my sister it had happened. It wasn't until my dad was deployed to Afghanistan that she actually knew what had really happened. A lot of my friends are the same way. As far as I'm aware, I'm the only person out of my friends who still remembers it, which I find rather odd, since its not even close to being my first memory.
ConnorM
Sir Conor the Incompetent

Likes received: 90

Unread postby Vortex » 11th September, 2017, 6:56 pm

We had an emergency prayer meeting at my church, there was lots of crying. My dad came home early from work. I didn't know what was going on.

I was homeschooled, and my brother was watching TV like the disobedient lil' shit he was. My mom walked in the room to get onto him and just screamed in horror. She started crying and called her sister in Brooklyn to make sure she was okay. It was super fucking traumatic. I didn't know what was going on because I was eight, but I knew it was super bad. I saw footage of people jumping from the towers and cried.
ImageImageImage

Ebsy wrote:Leave it to losers on Twitter to complain about being pandered to. You're supposed to complain when someone panders to others, not to you.
[4:46 AM] Saint Drogo: Also, you've got a strangely appealing asshole. I'll give you that much.
[6:03 AM] Pity: Omg... stop making me sound like a racist idiot
[4:51 AM] Scherzy: jerk off to clinton in the safety of your own bedroom luv
[2:56 PM] Saint Drogo: Literally let me use my cock as a paintbrush and my unborn children as paint.
Vortex
Saint Drogo's mistress.

First name: Da'Neil Boxley
Likes received: 264

Recently active