Should Heteroromantic Asexuals Identify as Members of the LGBT?

A forum for the respectful exchange of views on thought-provoking topics, whether sexuality-related or otherwise; please read the guidelines prior to posting.

Forum rules

Welcome to the Intellectual Discussion subforum.

This forum is the place for intellectual discussions, such as philosophical or scientific debates. There are some guidelines that apply specifically to posts in this forum, of which you will be expected to have made yourself aware before participating. They are as follows:

• Intellectually stimulating topics only. If you can't have a deep discussion about something, it does not belong here.
  • If you're going to post, have something to say. When you make a new thread, write the initial post in a way that provides an introduction to the topic and invites further discussion. You could tell us how you feel and why, but always aim for constructive responses that further a discussion about the ideas involved, rather than a simple list of people's views. (Instead of asking "Are you a vegetarian?", discuss some of the arguments involved.) This guideline likewise applies for responses to topics.
  • Write using good English. That means full sentences with proper capitalisation, punctuation, spelling and grammar. No one is perfect, though; this is not an invitation to criticise others for minor mistakes.
  • Be nice. This is a forum for rational discourse, not flame wars. No one is always right. Be respectful of other people's views and accept that we are all entitled to our own.

These guidelines will be enforced by the moderators based on their best judgement, and anyone who does not take them seriously will lose the privilege of posting here. Spammers will be banned from the entire forum.

Yes, they're 100% part of our community
55%
Yes, but they're only sort of a part of the community
5%
No
25%
Unsure
15%

Total votes : 20

Unread postby Corrdorr » 3rd October, 2017, 7:32 am

The question is simple, should they? I want opinions and people's experiences, if any, to compare with with a friend who is extremely adamant against it.
Image Image Image Image

Corrdorr
House Cup Judge Howl

First name: Corey
Likes received: 78

Re: Should Heteroromantic Asexuals Identify as Members of the LGBT?

Unread postby Woollyhoolly » 3rd October, 2017, 9:00 am

Where can we draw the line from regular hetero not feeling like having sex (due tk reasons) and asexual though
Made you look

Trudeau's my daddy
Woollyhoolly

First name: Tim
Likes received: 7

Unread postby Woollyhoolly » 3rd October, 2017, 9:00 am

Made you look

Trudeau's my daddy
Woollyhoolly

First name: Tim
Likes received: 7

Unread postby Corrdorr » 3rd October, 2017, 9:26 am

Woollyhoolly wrote:Where can we draw the line from regular hetero not feeling like having sex (due tk reasons) and asexual though

Well, that's simple.
Asexuality is not "oh I don't feel like sex" or abstinence, it's the literal absence of sexual desire.
By that definition, an Asexual regardless of their romantic inclinations would deem them queer, and a member of the LGBT. By definition, at least. There's a definite difference between a straight person "not feeling like sex" trying to be a member of the community and an actual member of a minority who needs to be part of an inclusive environment.

For a bit of context, a very close friend of mine was confused about the concept and the discussion quickly devolved to him spewing hate rhetoric about the concept of a "Straight" Asexual. He believes that because they don't face the same prejudices and discrimination as "the rest of us", they don't deserve to be a part of the community and instead form their own one. From the people I've talked to about this in the past, it seems to be an opinion shared exclusively between cis gay men. Which is part of the reason why I'm asking y'all, because that's the main demographic of the forum. Let's open the can of worms!
Image Image Image Image

Corrdorr
House Cup Judge Howl

Unread postby Scherzy » 3rd October, 2017, 10:24 am

It's a very clear no for me. With the exception of sexual behavior, "heteroromantic asexuals" are, for all intents and purposes, straight. They are not and have not been subjected to the same experiences, oppression, or culture as the rest of the LGBT. Not enjoying sexual intercourse doesn't make you part of the LGBT community.
ImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Scherzy
Community Ambassador

First name: Aiden
Likes received: 179

Unread postby Corrdorr » 3rd October, 2017, 9:29 pm

Scherzy wrote:They are not and have not been subjected to the same experiences, oppression, or culture as the rest of the LGBT.

Do you have anything to support that statement? Because most sources and anecdotes I've seen show that the most common things between all asexuals, regardless of romantic attraction, is that they're raped and sexually harassed to try to and "fix" them and make them sexual.

Scherzy wrote:Not enjoying sexual intercourse doesn't make you part of the LGBT community.

I don't know if you're being serious here but ???? Asexuality is not "not enjoying sexual intercourse". It's the absence of sexual attraction and desire. They can still enjoy sex if they ever decide to have it.
Image Image Image Image

Corrdorr
House Cup Judge Howl

Unread postby Unseasoned Chicken » 3rd October, 2017, 10:08 pm

I think heteromantic asexuals are entitled to be part of the LGBT community on count of their asexuality, regardless of their romantic interests. I think the argument that they aren't oppressed is silly because you don't need to be oppressed to be part of the LGBT community. In fact the ace-erasure that occurs both in society and even LGBT (as witnessed in this thread) is a means of oppression if we were going down that route xx
Twink enthusiast
Unseasoned Chicken
Is shaking

First name: Ethan
Likes received: 648

Unread postby GaycrazyBoi » 5th October, 2017, 5:36 pm

No. Fuck no. Asexuals are not even technically a sexuality. It's the absence of one. Could we call them MOGII? Yes. But could we say they are part of the LGBT umbrella? No. I don't even think Non-binaries are in the LGBT umbrella.

I break it down into this. The "Families" could be broken down further. Namely the Uncertains, LGBT, Asexual, and Other Families. This isn't a shot at the Asexuals, either. I don't have any issues with them, and I'm not going to say it's okay to mistreat them or that their struggle isn't real, but they aren't LGBTs.

MOGII

-LGBT Family
-Non-Binary Family (Distinctly different from the trans umbrella)
-Asexuality Family
-Uncertain Family
-Fetishist Family (The "normal" fetishes don't fit. The main ones here are the really weird fringe fetishes that you don't want to know about)
-Other Family (Includes such lovely treats as zoophiles, otherkin, and generally people "normal" society would install in a mental hospital).

Systematic oppression is not a requirement to be LGBT. But I don't think we should keep adding letters to the LGBT umbrella to make more people feel included.
GaycrazyBoi

First name: Nate
Likes received: 45

Unread postby Scorpius X-1 » 5th October, 2017, 9:01 pm

Ace is already part of the LGBTQIA+ umbrella.
Scorpius X-1

First name: Patrick
Likes received: 10

Unread postby Pity » 6th October, 2017, 8:31 pm

I think asexuality is a disorder rather than a sexuality, but I don't really really care if they want to identify under the LGBT+ umbrella. It's nonsense to exclude them just because they don't rank high in the Oppression Olympics.
Pity
hotty & disgraced member

First name: Marcus
Likes received: 485

Unread postby Scorpius X-1 » 7th October, 2017, 12:11 am

Pity wrote:I think asexuality is a disorder rather than a sexuality, but I don't really really care if they want to identify under the LGBT+ umbrella. It's nonsense to exclude them just because they don't rank high in the Oppression Olympics.

Asexuality is not a disorder.
Scorpius X-1

Unread postby Pity » 7th October, 2017, 1:16 pm

Scorpius X-1 wrote:
Pity wrote:I think asexuality is a disorder rather than a sexuality, but I don't really really care if they want to identify under the LGBT+ umbrella. It's nonsense to exclude them just because they don't rank high in the Oppression Olympics.

Asexuality is not a disorder.

not having sexual feelings is a disorder ok
Pity
hotty & disgraced member

Unread postby Sokol » 7th October, 2017, 1:25 pm

If you consider asexuality a disorder, homosexuality can be considered as a disorder aswell
Sokol
Sokol The Cocks
Member of the Month

Unread postby Pity » 7th October, 2017, 1:57 pm

Sokol wrote:If you consider asexuality a disorder, homosexuality can be considered as a disorder aswell

Pity
hotty & disgraced member

Unread postby Togetik » 7th October, 2017, 9:39 pm

Pity wrote:Image

It's not a straw man, it's pointing out the double standard you're using
Togetik

Likes received: 81

Unread postby Pity » 8th October, 2017, 12:21 am

Togetik wrote:
Pity wrote:Image

It's not a straw man, it's pointing out the double standard you're using

Normal, healthy individuals experience sexual desire. It's biological. I don't care if they want to identify as LGBT+ at all, though.
Pity
hotty & disgraced member

Unread postby Scorpius X-1 » 8th October, 2017, 1:40 am

So asexuals don't feel sexual attraction. So what? Isn't it a bit weird that most people like sex/sticking dick in butt/straight intercourse? And lust over it?

If asexuality is a disorder, than homosexuality is too. And heterosexuality too.
Scorpius X-1

Unread postby Anonymous Boy » 8th October, 2017, 8:29 am

Pity wrote:Normal, healthy individuals experience sexual desire. It's biological.

You could just as easily say:
Normal, healthy individuals experience sexual desire for the opposite sex. It's biological.

(I actually feel like that's what you might say if you were straight.)

Heterosexual desire is the norm. Homosexual desire and lack of sexual desire are both deviations from the norm. That doesn't make either of them unhealthy or disordered. People of both (dis)inclinations are able to live productive, satisfying lives. Neither causes any suffering or disability in and of itself.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Anonymous Boy
Owner/Administrator

First name: René
Likes received: 219

Unread postby Pity » 8th October, 2017, 11:21 am

I said disorder, not a disability. And it really doesn't matter whether or not asexuality should be considered a sexuality rather than a medical condition like I said in my original post.
Pity
hotty & disgraced member

Unread postby Anonymous Boy » 8th October, 2017, 11:36 am

Pity wrote:I said disorder, not a disability. And it really doesn't matter whether or not asexuality should be considered a sexuality rather than a medical condition like I said in my original post.

So why call it a disorder?
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Anonymous Boy
Owner/Administrator

First name: René
Likes received: 219

Next

Recently active