Homophobia in music

A forum for respectful discussion & exchange of views on news, current affairs & thought-provoking topics; please read and be aware of the guidelines prior to posting.

Forum rules

Welcome to the News, Current Affairs & Debate subforum.

This forum is the place for intellectual discussions relating to news, current affairs, or philosophical & scientific debates. There are some guidelines that apply specifically to posts in this forum, of which you will be expected to have made yourself aware before participating. They are as follows:

• Intellectually stimulating topics only. If you can't have a deep discussion about something, it does not belong here.
  • If you're going to post, have something to say. When you make a new thread, write the initial post in a way that provides an introduction to the topic and invites further discussion. You could tell us how you feel and why, but always aim for constructive responses that further a discussion about the ideas involved, rather than a simple list of people's views. (Instead of asking "Are you a vegetarian?", discuss some of the arguments involved.) This guideline likewise applies for responses to topics.
  • Write using good English. That means full sentences with proper capitalisation, punctuation, spelling and grammar. No one is perfect, though; this is not an invitation to criticise others for minor mistakes.
  • Be nice. This is a forum for rational discourse, not flame wars. No one is always right. Be respectful of other people's views and accept that we are all entitled to our own.

These guidelines will be enforced by the moderators based on their best judgement, and anyone who does not take them seriously will lose the privilege of posting here. Spammers will be banned from the entire forum.

Homophobia in music

Unread postby Olivurh » 2nd December, 2017, 6:11 am

soo lets start this off with a recent hit that made its way to the top of the hit charts basically today! i assume most of you have already heard the perfect duet by ed sheeran and beyoncé(which is absolutely amazing).
so while listening to this song, i noticed that when beyoncé starts singing, she sings "well i found a man" and it sounds incredibly out of place. then i realized that it was because in the original song, ed sheeran sings "well i found a woman".
here, try to hear it yourself:

so what really bothers me here is, man is 1 syllable, whereas woman is 2 syllables. they made a conscious decision to completely ruin beyoncés opening line in the song, entirely so she could be straight and the song fit into a straight perspective. it really bothers me because the message that it sends is that being lgbt is wrong, that not even beyoncé could think of singing a song where she comes across as lgbt. its just a really bad message.

now ill start off by saying that in this song, i can somewhat understand the change as they most likely wanted it to be a love song duet between two straighties, but really, how much would it have hurt either of them to just sing the normal lyrics? theyre both amazing singers, it'd still become a hit song, even though the straighties possibly didn't agree with it.
now anyways, when i noticed this in the song, i immediately pulled up the lyrics and noticed that they changed another lyric.

"be my girl, i'll be your man"
when beyoncé sings it, she sings "i'll be your girl, you'll be my man"
anyways, here's the lyrics, feel free to look for other places where the straights™ have change the lyrics to fit this heteronormative ass society.
[Reveal] Spoiler: the lyrics
"Perfect"

I found a love for me
Darling, just dive right in and follow my lead
Well, I found a girl, beautiful and sweet
Oh, I never knew you were the someone waiting for me

'Cause we were just kids when we fell in love
Not knowing what it was
I will not give you up this time
But darling, just kiss me slow
Your heart is all I own
And in your eyes you're holding mine

Baby, I'm dancing in the dark
With you between my arms
Barefoot on the grass
Listening to our favourite song
When you said you looked a mess
I whispered underneath my breath
But you heard it,
Darling, you look perfect tonight

Well, I found a woman, stronger than anyone I know (this is where beyonce changes it to man)
She shares my dreams, I hope that someday I'll share her home
I found a love to carry more than just my secrets
To carry love, to carry children of our own

We are still kids but we're so in love
Fighting against all odds
I know we'll be alright this time
Darling, just hold my hand
Be my girl, I'll be your man
I see my future in your eyes

With you between my arms
Barefoot on the grass
When I saw you in that dress
Looking so beautiful
I don't deserve this
Darling, you look perfect tonight

With you between my arms
Barefoot on the grass
I have faith in what I see
Now I know I have met an angel in person
And she looks perfect
I don't deserve this
You look perfect tonight

thank u kam for telling me how to embed yt video
Olivurh
great sass greater ass

First name: Oliver
Likes received: 15

Team: The Wild West

Re: Homophobia in music

Unread postby Influp » 2nd December, 2017, 6:31 am

Wat

Also this is like one of the only ed sheeran songs I actually enjoy.. Thanks oli x
Last edited by Influp on 2nd December, 2017, 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
King penguin has
arrived o/

Influp

First name: Ben

Unread postby boiii » 2nd December, 2017, 6:32 am

I don't think that it send any message other than "Beyoncé is not a lesbian" and she isn't.

If there was a sensual song and there would be this line in it: "She touches my pale skin." and A black guy sang it then he should be able to change the line if he wants to. Maybe he could just change it to: "She touches my soft skin" too. This would not send a bad message to white people either I think.

If someone wrote a war song and this line was in it: "Fighting under the starts and stripes" and a brit would sing it he could change it to: "fighting under the union jack" depending on the context. The message would still be anti-war, but not at all anti-america.

btw, doesn't beyoncé already have a husband?

ImageImage
boiii
oh shit waddup

First name: Kamiel
Likes received: 227

Team: The Far East

Unread postby Sokol » 2nd December, 2017, 6:33 am

I'm actually pretty sure this has nothing to do with homophobia.
Béyonce isn't LGBT, so why should she have to sing the lyrics which were directed towards a woman? I understand that they change the lyrics.
I think there's more than enough pop artists who support the LGBT-community, this doesn't mean they have to sing LGBT lyrics though.
I feel like this is looking for a problem where there isn't one.
There are also a lot of songs which are LGBT and they still do good (songs by Troye Sivan f.e.). If the artist isn't LGBT, I understand the fact that they don't change the lyrics.
Vortex: Sokol is my favourite of da mods
Sokol
Cucumber Fanatic

First name: Sokol
Likes received: 181

Unread postby Togetik » 2nd December, 2017, 7:35 am

I don't think it's homophobia, it's definitely heteronormative and harms the song through making it clunky, but I guess i don't consider that homophobia.

I was hoping this'd be a thread where i got to complain about non-straight musicians always being forced to use gender neutral lyrics (Seriously, look at almost anything by sam smith and see how it's all gender neutral, I can't imagine that's not an intentional mandate), but alas, I guess it's for another thread
Togetik

Likes received: 82

Unread postby ConnorM » 2nd December, 2017, 4:26 pm

Togetik wrote:I don't think it's homophobia, it's definitely heteronormative and harms the song through making it clunky, but I guess i don't consider that homophobia.

I was hoping this'd be a thread where i got to complain about non-straight musicians always being forced to use gender neutral lyrics (Seriously, look at almost anything by sam smith and see how it's all gender neutral, I can't imagine that's not an intentional mandate), but alas, I guess it's for another thread

I tend to doubt that it's an intentional mandate. Besides the fact that I personally despise Sam Smith's whiny, pathetic, self-pitying nonsense, I don't for a second think that he's forced by his record label to only use gender neutral perspectives.

Quite a few songs - especially love songs - tend to use the second person, and rather few of them explicitly state masculine or feminine things within their lyrics. So, while there are the occasional "sk8er boi"-s ("He was a boy, she was a girl/Can I make it any more obvious"), they seem to be the exception, not the rule. Why? Well, it's a lot more relatable for people to have songs that they can feel that they can use. Look at how popular "Can't Help Falling in Love" remains - despite being a fifty-five year old song, new covers of it regularly top the charts, whether it's Twenty-One Pilots covering or Haley Reinhart. Gender-neutral songs are just more popular and enduring.

And it isn't as though there's some sort of industry "ban" on anything same-sex in the music industry, or even straight artists singing songs from the opposite gender perspective. Look at Halsey's hit "Bad at Love", where she sings about both male and female ex-lovers, or the Lumineer's hit "Cleopatra", which is sung from the perspective of a worn-out actress reflecting on her missed opportunity, despite being written and sung by Wesley Schulz, a straight male. When you begin to look at what songs actually do chart, the majority of the songs dealing with feelings for another person, whether positive (such as "Halo" or "Thinking Out Loud"), negative ("Jar of Hearts", "Love Song") or something in between, ("Closer" or "The Sound") don't explicitly make reference to the gender of the person that they're addressing.
ConnorM
Sir Conor the Incompetent

Likes received: 106

Unread postby TheBrunswickian » 3rd December, 2017, 8:03 am

Straight people sing from the perspective of straight people because they're straight....? Gay artists tend to use gender neutral pronouns, because that's their experience. When I'm singing along in the car or in the shower, I tend to just change the pronoun to fit the fact I'm not into women where it fits. I don't see that as homophobic, just inherently hetero-normative. The world happens to be hetero-normative, no matter how us gays might wish it otherwise.
House Cup 2016 - Team Westeros
House Cup 2017 - Team Lion King
Year Cup 2017/18 - The Far East

TheBrunswickian
Jesse4Admin2020

First name: Jesse
Likes received: 387

Unread postby wolbre04 » 3rd December, 2017, 10:50 am

If a song says something like "kissing her" I don't change the words to reflect my own beliefs because a. It sounds weird to me and b. I think music should be enjoyed the way it is. Ultimately, if I were listening to, say, a love song about a guy and a girl, I can still enjoy the music at face value, although I might imagine it in a more applicable sense. Would I be making out with a girl in a car? No, but I would with another guy.
However, I do feel like artists should try to create music that is more neutral in terms of describing orientation sometimes
wolbre04
Not the Serial Killer

First name: Brennan
Likes received: 84

Unread postby Olivurh » 4th December, 2017, 6:45 pm

brennan completely captures my point perfectly here ^^
Olivurh
great sass greater ass

Unread postby wolbre04 » 5th December, 2017, 12:42 am

Olivurh wrote:brennan completely captures my point perfectly here ^^

The first time we have agreed on something :keke: :thumbsup:
wolbre04
Not the Serial Killer

First name: Brennan
Likes received: 84

Unread postby Sokol » 5th December, 2017, 12:52 pm

They do change it because they are actually singing it to eachother though, I think.
Vortex: Sokol is my favourite of da mods
Sokol
Cucumber Fanatic

First name: Sokol
Likes received: 181

Unread postby Olivurh » 5th December, 2017, 4:46 pm

Sokol wrote:

They do change it because they are actually singing it to eachother though, I think.

yeah i feel the same, but i took up the thread generally for doing this in songs, since its often done for literally no reason
Olivurh
great sass greater ass

Recently active