CHALLENGE#2, Art Attack!

Here you can participate in all manner of forum-wide games and contests, or even start one of your own!

CHALLENGE#2, Art Attack!

Unread postby Unseasoned Chicken » 2nd July, 2017, 9:40 pm

HOUSE CUP 2017

Challenge #2 Art Attack!

Welcome to your second individual challenge! Calling all Picasso's, Monet's and Van Gogh's of GTF. That’s right this is the Art Attack challenge and it's time to see how creative you can be. This challenge has proven to be rather popular last year so we’re bringing it back. You must make a drawing, painting, printing or sculpture relating to the chosen theme.

2015 thread
2016 thread

This year theme will be different. It is “Childhood”. It’s a vague theme and it allows for a wide range of interpretations. However you decide to approach this challenge, it must be something that we can connect back to anything relating to 'Childhood'. If you feel that you must, you can describe your Drawing/Painting/Printing/Sculpture in words.

Rules:
• You cannot use old photos; your submission must signed and dated.
• Do not use special effects on your your photos.
• Nothing too explicit.
• This challenge is not to be mistaken for digital/graphic art. These are drawings and paintings that you do in person, not through a software.
• You cannot have someone else do this for you. These must be completely, your own.
• You may ask for advice from team members, however.
• If you have any question, feel free to ask.

You will be judged on Creativity/Originality, Technical Ability, Communication of Ideas, and Effort.

Every member that submits will be given two points.

The deadline is this Sunday: 9th July, 10:01pm BST.

Standard rules apply
Last edited by Unseasoned Chicken on 4th July, 2017, 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twink enthusiast
Unseasoned Chicken
Is shaking

First name: Ethan
Likes received: 648

Re: CHALLENGE#2, Art Attack!

Unread postby Kaspar » 3rd July, 2017, 3:22 am

Art was never my best side
Proudly, the Captain of team Spirited Away
House Cup 2017

mattyk wrote:You are indeed all-round 100% certified awesome!

ImageImage
ImageImage
Kaspar
The Kind Moderator / Lochlan's cat enthusiast

First name: Kacper
Likes received: 343

Unread postby Unseasoned Chicken » 3rd July, 2017, 3:37 am

I'd love to see your best side :eli:
Twink enthusiast
Unseasoned Chicken
Is shaking

Unread postby NathanD3V » 3rd July, 2017, 6:13 pm

Submission for Team Lion King by NathanD3V (myself).

Full image (not so good quality):

Video showing each part (somewhat better quality):

For this challenge, the purpose was to show the theme of childhood. For this reason, I thought the best thing to do would be to submit a visual representation of my own personal childhood experience (if you can call it that). I know my drawing skills are as bad as Kim Kardashians' therapists so bare with me please.
NathanD3V

First name: Nathan
Likes received: 21

Unread postby ^George^ » 4th July, 2017, 7:50 am

These capture the vivid imagination of a child with a passion for history, future, the known and the unknown. Happiness, dreams, hopes, innocence; all the things a child has before life steps in and bitch slaps it across the face. From the deeply rooted love for your homeland (the mountains in the bottom are the national symbol of Slovakia, the High Tatra mountains) to the great unknown of all the possibilities the universe and the future hold (the two space-ish ones in the middle) to the beautiful, inspiring and mysterious sands of the ancient Egypt ((the top part (I used to dream of becoming an Egyptologist and it introduced me to being a nerd)) all coming from the dreams and thoughts of a happy, loving, absolutely fabulous and ever so gay clown ( bottom left corner) who felt like an alien child not being understood by anyone growing up feeling alone (bottom right corner).
^George^
Juraffe

First name: Juraj
Likes received: 18

Unread postby Finch » 5th July, 2017, 7:59 am

My picture represents a bittersweet representation of childhood, as its subject matter symbolically refers to the loss of innocence. The dandelion stalks are left bare after being blown away by the little girl, representing the shedding of our childhood innocence and naïvety. The girl, whose hand holds a clumsily plucked handful of dandelion stalks and her act of blowing away the spores is symbolic of how we unknowingly, recklessly and self-destructively throw ourselves into the world to face the harsh reality, thus forcibly and perhaps prematurely casting off the rose coloured glasses that gave us that childish sense of wonder and awe for which we now pine.

Yet, it still offers a glimmer of hope at the end of the metaphorical tunnel. The attire of the girl depicted is clearly not typical of our time, in a literal sense, it represents the endurance of childhood throughout the ages from one generation to the next. Her act of blowing on dandelions is an act that all children have done at some point, even today.

When we throw ourselves into the world with abandon, we make choices that form our character, represented by the trails that the spores travel in. Despite the effect of outside influences (the wind in this picture), we ultimately choose the direction of our lives, and along the way, we meet people who bring beauty and guidance to our lives whilst to navigate their own way through the unforgiving world (the butterflies). The most prominent message is that despite taking our childhood for granted and scattering it to the winds, all of us have something to offer, and our choices have had a definite and hopefully positively effect on the world around us. Like dandelion seeds, which we have symbolically scattered from the outset of our lives, our decisions eventually grow into something much more than what we originally anticipated. We are the butterflies of the picture to someone else around us.

Last edited by Finch on 5th July, 2017, 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I finally found something to put here!

Finch
the mom friend

First name: Joseph
Likes received: 58

Unread postby Pity » 5th July, 2017, 3:50 pm

Excuse my poor artistic talent and limited colors (I had to use lemonade flavoring to make that yellow!), but my drawing represents my interests and pastimes as a kid. As I child, I loved anything and everything related to magic, mythology, and cryptids, such as dragons, fairies, and witchcraft. As seen in the drawing, there is a younger version of myself in a wizard costume creating a mystical world of fantasy with a magic wand. There is a pixie relaxing mid-flight, a dragon breathing scorching-hot fire, a cauldron with an eery, blue vapor fuming from a fatal concoction, a towering beanstalk in the distance, and a commanding sun illuminating the scenery. Let us all take a moment to reminisce about reading fairy tales, playing pretend, and imagining a world of wonder.

Miss me with that melodramatic, emotional shit.
Pity
hotty & disgraced member

First name: Marcus
Likes received: 485

Unread postby Vortex » 5th July, 2017, 7:53 pm

...okay but could someone not just sign and put today's date on their old picture...?
ImageImageImage

Ebsy wrote:Leave it to losers on Twitter to complain about being pandered to. You're supposed to complain when someone panders to others, not to you.
[4:46 AM] Saint Drogo: Also, you've got a strangely appealing asshole. I'll give you that much.
[6:03 AM] Pity: Omg... stop making me sound like a racist idiot
[4:51 AM] Scherzy: jerk off to clinton in the safety of your own bedroom luv
[2:56 PM] Saint Drogo: Literally let me use my cock as a paintbrush and my unborn children as paint.
Vortex
Saint Drogo's mistress.

First name: Da'Neil Boxley
Likes received: 263

Unread postby MCarr » 7th July, 2017, 5:44 pm

Just three kids playing in the sunset, like I used to do...
In my childhood I have some of my fondest memories. It all made sense, so I was just blindly happy.
I used to go to the woods with my friends to play. We would play pretend or just explore, but our absolute favourite think to do was build shelters. At first, we would just collect canes and build basic shelters against a tree. Towards the end we would make more complex creations. There was one who had tiles in the floor that we found dumped near a house in construction. We would play until there wasn't enough light to see... and then we would catch fireflies.
I had a good childhood and I think this kids are having a good one too.
"I hate the word homophobia. It's not a phobia. You are not scared. You are an asshole"

MCarr
I won a bet with Kaspar

First name: Miguel
Likes received: 160

Unread postby Kaspar » 7th July, 2017, 6:15 pm

Thats a great entry, Miguel! Looking very artsy :heart:
Proudly, the Captain of team Spirited Away
House Cup 2017

mattyk wrote:You are indeed all-round 100% certified awesome!

ImageImage
ImageImage
Kaspar
The Kind Moderator / Lochlan's cat enthusiast

First name: Kacper
Likes received: 343

Unread postby Vortex » 7th July, 2017, 7:25 pm

My home was there and then, those Meadows of Heaven
A little girl on the cusp of adulthood feels herself drawn ever further away from what she used to hold dear. As she forgets what she used to love and lets go of her passions, the winds of change blow her towards a new life in the autumn of her childhood.
ImageImageImage

Ebsy wrote:Leave it to losers on Twitter to complain about being pandered to. You're supposed to complain when someone panders to others, not to you.
[4:46 AM] Saint Drogo: Also, you've got a strangely appealing asshole. I'll give you that much.
[6:03 AM] Pity: Omg... stop making me sound like a racist idiot
[4:51 AM] Scherzy: jerk off to clinton in the safety of your own bedroom luv
[2:56 PM] Saint Drogo: Literally let me use my cock as a paintbrush and my unborn children as paint.
Vortex
Saint Drogo's mistress.

First name: Da'Neil Boxley
Likes received: 263

Unread postby ConnorM » 7th July, 2017, 11:58 pm

[Reveal] Spoiler: "Pillars of Salt"

So as at least some of you are aware, my dad fought in Afghanistan. To me, the beginning of Operation Enduring Freedom VII (2006-2007) was the end of my childhood. To worry about my dad's safety, and to have nightmares during and after the year and a half deployment caused me to lose the careless attitude which I know associate with childhood. Beforehand, if I had a nightmare, it was ill-defined, or scary in the same sense that a horror movie is scary - jump scares are about your own fright. But after the tenth or eleventh rocket attack (there were about fifteen in the span of six months at FOB Salerno) I started having a recurring nightmare that my mother walked into my room to wake me up, and tell me that my dad had died. The worst one was the day of my dad coming home, and I remember the dream lucidly; it was the one where both my dad and my grandfather died in a car accident on the way home from the airport.
War fucking sucks.
As to the drawing, it's inspired by the song "Viva la Vida" by Coldplay - "And I discovered that my castles stand/Upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand".
The feeling of safety that childhood provides is surprisingly fragile when the real world intervenes.
ConnorM
Sir Conor the Incompetent

Likes received: 90

Unread postby boiii » 8th July, 2017, 2:40 pm

Behold!

The BussyDestroyer 4000

When I was little I loved to draw. Now I sucked and still suck at drawing tbh, but I still did it. One of the things I drew most were soldiers. Alien or robotic or monstrous soldiers. In my years of childhood I must have designed +50 weird looking warriors that would help me get to the throne of the world. It was while browsing through my old drawings that I remembered how much of these I actually made and how passionate I was. I can't say that there is anything more iconic about my childhood than my imagination. My wild, crazy, fantastic imagination.
So? What is this? This is a fighting robot. A very, very gay one. Not only is this my entry for the art attack challenge, this is also the prototype for the 1st ever national defense robot. All Hail the Queen of Barebackistan! I took the idea's I had when I was a child and took it to a whole new gay level. I made a warrior come to life by giving it legs and feet that it can stand on and by cutting it out of the paper. I drew the legs and feet, the torso, head and arms separately. Assembly was done with glue. And the result is this a warrior. An actual one. No kidding this fucker gave me a paper cut before he was even assembled. I'll add 2 more pictures. one to date it and one unobstructed picture of the paper figure.
[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Image Image

ImageImage

Winner of the best friendship award together with Kaspar ^.^ and also that other one we don't talk about.
boiii
oh shit waddup

First name: Kamiel
Likes received: 195

Unread postby Lochlan » 8th July, 2017, 7:59 pm

Sorry about my thumb in the corner, couldn't scan it in...
When I think of childhood, the first thing that comes to mind is school. I think this is just because I flourished well in that sort of environment. But after so many conversations with artsy people, I came to realise how oppressive a conformist school system is to some people, and this is meant to represent the mind of one of these people. The mental contrast of the arts and of school is depicted in the contrast of the top and bottom of the sheet. I could sit and pore over every detail of it, but that just detracts from trying to see it for the judges themselves. I suppose since I used a rainbow, you could also see it as a suppression of homosexuality, you know, since this is a gay forum, but meh, it's up to whoever sees it.
I'll find some real nice thing for my signature one day..
Lochlan

First name: Lochlan
Likes received: 44

Unread postby Zeus » 8th July, 2017, 9:41 pm

Sign me uppppp
House Cup - 2015 #TeamAirNomads

House Cup - 2016 #TeamHogwarts
Zeus
Member/God

First name: Raph
Likes received: 4

Unread postby DotMycin » 9th July, 2017, 1:37 am

[Reveal] Spoiler:

I'll let my drawing speak for itself. You'll come up with a more poetic explanation than i can anyway.
I am a MIGHTY DRAGON!
All of you are going to learn how to fight dragons!
DotMycin
Momentary Brain Fart

First name: Ronald
Likes received: 32

Unread postby Pity » 9th July, 2017, 2:15 am

So cute. I love the band-aid.
Pity
hotty & disgraced member

First name: Marcus
Likes received: 485

Unread postby Unseasoned Chicken » 9th July, 2017, 3:04 am

Zeus wrote:Sign me uppppp

Actually? Please join the HC Raff babe it need u <3
Twink enthusiast
Unseasoned Chicken
Is shaking

Unread postby Unseasoned Chicken » 9th July, 2017, 3:05 am

Also guys with only 10 entries so far it means every person will place.... if we don't get more
Twink enthusiast
Unseasoned Chicken
Is shaking

Unread postby Peekaboo » 9th July, 2017, 5:14 am

Fear is a Fiction that limits Curiosity
Peekaboo

First name: Jakob
Likes received: 31

Next