Advertising donation drive

Off-topic posts go in here; this forum is only loosely moderated.

Advertising donation drive

Unread postby Anonymous Boy » 9th July, 2017, 4:00 pm

£228.36
donated so far

See below for alternative donation methods.

Hi everyone,

We'd like to start running some paid advertisements for the forum soon to see if we can get some more members and activity going, and we'd like to ask for your donations to help us pay for this. Jack, Brenden and I will be putting in some of our own money too, but any help would be greatly appreciated and is sure to benefit the site :keke:

Be assured that we'll use this money very carefully — we'll start by allocating small bits to different kinds of advertising campaigns and track the resulting visitors to find out how we can have the greatest impact.

There are several different ways to donate:

• To use a debit/credit card, bank account or PayPal account, click the PayPal donate button above. (No PayPal account needed.)
  • If you use PayPal, you can also set up a recurring monthly donation.
  • You can also make a PayPal transfer straight to donate@gayteenforum.org if you prefer.
  • Donating by bank transfer directly (not through PayPal) is now also quite easy from almost any country thanks to TransferWise — please PM me if you'd like to make use of this.
  • If you want to use cash, you can use Western Union to donate from a retail outlet near you (they want a fee, though).
  • Donate using bitcoin by sending to the following address: 13PtRV6ydzyuT1kXiW1gqbH3RUrSUmHjyh

Every little bit helps, and a recurring monthly donation would be a great way to support GTF in the long term.

If you're worried about anonymity, bitcoin or Western Union may be the best option for you.

If you need any help (for example if you'd like to use bitcoin but aren't sure how to go about it), feel free to ask in a post or PM :)

Thank you!

-René
Last edited by Anonymous Boy on 21st July, 2017, 5:56 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Reason: Update
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Anonymous Boy
Owner/Administrator

First name: René
Likes received: 219

Re: Advertising donation drive

Unread postby Kaspar » 9th July, 2017, 4:33 pm

I'm a jobless student, but donated something :P If you guys are not able to take large sums of money from your wallets, don't worry, that's not the point! Even just a few pounds from many people will help greatly :heart: !
Proudly, the Captain of team Spirited Away
House Cup 2017

mattyk wrote:You are indeed all-round 100% certified awesome!

ImageImage
ImageImage
Kaspar
The Kind Moderator / Lochlan's cat enthusiast

First name: Kacper
Likes received: 343

Unread postby Anonymous Boy » 9th July, 2017, 4:36 pm

Kaspar wrote:I'm a jobless student, but donated something :P If you guys are not able to take large sums of money from your wallets, don't worry, that's not the point! Even just a few pounds from many people will help greatly :heart: !

Thanks Kacper :keke:
Anonymous Boy
Owner/Administrator

Unread postby Jacketh » 9th July, 2017, 7:39 pm

As Rene said - we will be most appreciatve if you can spare some loose change. I think many of us know forum activity isn't great, and a dedent fund for us to work with will hopefully create an advertisement campaign that will bring a lot of new members to the site. I think it's kinda crucial for the sites future - so it would help, a lot. I'm sure many of you have benefited in some way from GTF so :heart:

I'll donate next week as ive lost my bank card :runaway: Ive been relying on my family to western-Union me money.

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImage
Jacketh
Admin

First name: Jack
Likes received: 548

Unread postby Pity » 9th July, 2017, 8:44 pm

I am interested in donating, however, I would like a few questions answered beforehand.

1. Are there plans to release financial statements? If I donate, I want to make sure it is being used solely to upkeep, maintain, and potentially upgrade the forum. Personally, I would like to see how much money is allocated to different expenses, such as the server, domain, SSL certificate, etc., how much of is being saved for future advancements, where money is being spent on advertisements, and how much, if any, you and Brenden are keeping as profits.

2. What incentives, if any are being offered? Are there plans to have, say, colored user titles, exclusive access to certain areas or features of the website or chat, or any other benefits contributors would receive? I would be more apt to donate if I knew there was something to gain while supporting one of my favorite websites.

Thank you!
Pity
hotty & disgraced member

First name: Marcus
Likes received: 485

Unread postby Unseasoned Chicken » 9th July, 2017, 9:16 pm

Pity, the incentive should be wanting to support this amazing site that has offered you so much and still continues to, I don't think there's many places bar Stormfront that would have put up with you for so long. :tea:

but also will donate for backroom access ;)
Twink enthusiast
Unseasoned Chicken
Is shaking

First name: Ethan
Likes received: 648

Unread postby Pity » 9th July, 2017, 9:27 pm

But I want pretty colors and financial reports to look through! :hitler:
Pity
hotty & disgraced member

Unread postby Jacketh » 9th July, 2017, 10:17 pm

Pity wrote:2. What incentives, if any are being offered? Are there plans to have, say, colored user titles, exclusive access to certain areas or features of the website or chat, or any other benefits contributors would receive? I would be more apt to donate if I knew there was something to gain while supporting one of my favorite websites.

Thank you!

Rene can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this was suggested before and the conclusion was that everyone should have the same experience on here, regardless of whether they are in the position to donate or not. I'm not exactly sure what we could do - coloured names would be messy and confusing with the CA/moderators. Maybe something small like a 'donor' banner could be considered if you pay over X amount, but I'm not sure - would people really thrive from that? :P

You have our graditude and the knowledge that you're helping sustain and improve the site that has given you/others so much. I think that is bigger than any banner or external 'perk' - you, and others, will hopefully gain as the site improves.

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImage
Jacketh
Admin

First name: Jack
Likes received: 548

Unread postby Kaspar » 10th July, 2017, 3:21 am

I've secretly heard that donors won't be banned, Pity :naughty: QUICK SEND US AS MUCH MONEY AS YOU CAN!

But seriously, it's not about becoming a more special user, but more about just sincerely helping the community that has helped you :)
House Cup 2017

ImageImage
ImageImage
Kaspar

Unread postby freakism » 10th July, 2017, 12:50 pm

Pity... why can't you just let people have nice things smh typical capitalist

Also, done :thumbsup:

(is there gonna be a big thermometer to show how much the forum has raised?)
GTF House Cup 2016 - Team Middle Earth
freakism
Head tllt boy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

First name: Harry
Likes received: 129

Unread postby Kaspar » 10th July, 2017, 12:59 pm

freakism wrote:Pity... why can't you just let people have nice things smh typical capitalist

Also, done :thumbsup:

Maybe better not cause it would be depressing :rofl:
House Cup 2017

ImageImage
ImageImage
Kaspar

Unread postby Pity » 10th July, 2017, 1:01 pm

freakism wrote:smh typical capitalist

It makes the world go 'round, my friend. :thumbsup:

Kaspar wrote:I've secretly heard that donors won't be banned, Pity

I've already invested enough in other resources to not get banned ;)

Jacketh wrote:You have our graditude and the knowledge that you're helping sustain and improve the site that has given you/others so much. I think that is bigger than any banner or external 'perk' - you, and others, will hopefully gain as the site improves.

Yeah, but I want financial reports so I know my donation is going to a good place. I plan on donating a lot, so that is why I am asking if there are any perks. By colored user title I meant where it says "Hotty & Disgraced Member," but I think I like the donator banner idea. I am quite interested in having a donators'-only sub-forum, though.
Pity
hotty & disgraced member

Unread postby Anonymous Boy » 10th July, 2017, 7:11 pm

freakism wrote:Also, done :thumbsup:

Thank you very much :keke:

I've added a big(ish) blue counter at the top of my original post :P

Pity wrote:I am interested in donating, however, I would like a few questions answered beforehand.

1. Are there plans to release financial statements? If I donate, I want to make sure it is being used solely to upkeep, maintain, and potentially upgrade the forum. Personally, I would like to see how much money is allocated to different expenses, such as the server, domain, SSL certificate, etc., how much of is being saved for future advancements, where money is being spent on advertisements, and how much, if any, you and Brenden are keeping as profits.
Pity wrote:
Jacketh wrote:You have our graditude and the knowledge that you're helping sustain and improve the site that has given you/others so much. I think that is bigger than any banner or external 'perk' - you, and others, will hopefully gain as the site improves.

Yeah, but I want financial reports so I know my donation is going to a good place.

That's actually kind of understandable.

Is it okay if it's very brief? As much as I would enjoy preparing beautiful financial statements and using all the fancy words I've learned in my translation work like valuation principles for assets and liabilities, consolidated statement of cash flows and proposed profit appropriation, I don't really have time for that. :P

• The dedicated server on which both GTF and GFO run costs €35.29/month.
  • Maintaining the domain registrations (gayteenforum.org, gt-forum.org, gayforum.org, gayteenforum.net) costs something like $9/year each.
  • DNS for all the domains costs $29.95/year.
  • The SSL certificate is free (see Let's Encrypt).
  • We certainly plan to keep everyone informed about what's happening with the advertising, how different experiments have turned out, what seems to be the most effective, etc.
  • The idea of keeping any portion of these donations as "profits" seems totally disingenuous. That is not something I can imagine doing.

Pity wrote:2. What incentives, if any are being offered? Are there plans to have, say, colored user titles, exclusive access to certain areas or features of the website or chat, or any other benefits contributors would receive? I would be more apt to donate if I knew there was something to gain while supporting one of my favorite websites.

Thank you!
Pity wrote:I plan on donating a lot, so that is why I am asking if there are any perks. By colored user title I meant where it says "Hotty & Disgraced Member," but I think I like the donator banner idea. I am quite interested in having a donators'-only sub-forum, though.

I'm not comfortable with giving people who are able to donate any special privileges, because I'm sure there are members who would like to donate but who can't afford to, which isn't their fault.

The perk is really that you're helping the community you're a part of here; you will benefit from that directly. I can't express that any better than others already have.

But I'll think about the banner idea!
Anonymous Boy
Owner/Administrator

Unread postby Pity » 10th July, 2017, 7:58 pm

Ok! Sounds good. I'll donate a little bit for now until the banner thing is decided ;)
Pity
hotty & disgraced member

Unread postby Anonymous Boy » 11th July, 2017, 8:55 am

Pity wrote:Ok! Sounds good. I'll donate a little bit for now until the banner thing is decided ;)

Thank you :keke:

You do realise statements like this make it harder for me to say yes to the banner thing, right? :P
Anonymous Boy
Owner/Administrator

Unread postby George » 12th July, 2017, 3:50 pm

AS soon as I get my first paycheck, Rene xxx just hold out a few more weeks x
Image Hi, I'm George. Never met Me before? Image
George
Diaper Rash

First name: George
Likes received: 106

Unread postby Dessy » 12th July, 2017, 3:53 pm

I might pay in something sometime next week.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Dessy
Moderator Emeriti

First name: Des
Likes received: 307

Unread postby Anonymous Boy » 16th July, 2017, 6:34 am

Anonymous bitcoin user, thanks for your donation :keke:
Anonymous Boy
Owner/Administrator

Unread postby JamieC » 17th July, 2017, 9:02 pm

Donated! :keke: The site has formed a huge part of my coming to terms with my sexuality and becoming comfortable with my individuality since I was merely 14, and here I am at 19 and it still forms a large part of my life. This community is the greatest I have ever had the pleasure to be a part of, so I'm happy to help. :heart:
JamieC
Desperado

Likes received: 110

Unread postby Anonymous Boy » 17th July, 2017, 9:10 pm

JamieC wrote:Donated! :keke: The site has formed a huge part of my coming to terms with my sexuality and becoming comfortable with my individuality since I was merely 14, and here I am at 19 and it still forms a large part of my life. This community is the greatest I have ever had the pleasure to be a part of, so I'm happy to help. :heart:

That's great to hear, Jamie! Thank you very much. :keke:
Anonymous Boy
Owner/Administrator

Next

Recently active