New Moderator Confirmation Poll & Other Changes to Staff

Off-topic posts go in here; this forum is only loosely moderated.

Do you support the confirmation of Example as a Moderator?

Poll ended at 16th September, 2017, 1:48 pm

Yes
82%
No
18%

Total votes : 34

New Moderator Confirmation Poll & Other Changes to Staff

Unread postby Jacketh » 9th September, 2017, 1:42 pm

Yo.

After the departure of both Cobalt and Dessy as Moderators, we're lacking a bit of Americas in our ranks. After winning both Best Community Ambassador & Member of the Year in the GTFA and being one of the most prominent members in the last couple of years, we think Example would make a perfect candidate for Moderator.

What can we say about Example? He's pretty much GTF's Mariah Carey. Needy, a diva, fabulous at lip syncing, and is the Hero GTF needs with his enthusiasm and desire to make the site better.

As is always the case, feel free to state why you think Example is or is not a good fit for Moderator - this is more important than the poll numbers.

In addition to hopefully appointing Example, we are making some changes to structure of the staff, and especially the Community Ambassador team which has been a bit dysfuctional. We are scrapping the "Community Ambassador" title and instead making two seperate groups. The Social Team, and The Community Team. The social team will look after the social media and chat, primarily, and The Community Team will be more about the forum. They will all have chat powers and be considered staff.

We are bringing Tim., Freakism, and Ethan on. Two Aussies and an Englishman.

We are also introducing two ranks to Moderator. Senior Moderator, and Moderator. After all the changes, this is how we suspect the staff we look:

Senior Moderators: KrisCross, Kaspar.
Moderator(s): Example.

Community Team: boiii, MCarr, Tim, Scherzy.
Social Team: TheBrunswickian, Scottnesss, Freakism, Ethán.

It's possible we'll appoint one of these to join Example as a Moderator in the near future if the spam doesn't go away and activity asks for it.

We're really excited about this and think that with smaller groups and the new additions of the shadey Australian, Grandaddy Tim, and... Harry, that we'll finally start working together and getting things done. There is a clear correlation between staff activity & enthusiasm and forum activity - and we're going to ensure this place doesn't become a wasteland as everyone heads back to university and school.

Thanks guys :)
Jacketh
Admin

First name: Jack
Likes received: 627

Re: New Moderator Confirmation Poll & Other Changes to Staff

Unread postby Dolly » 9th September, 2017, 1:43 pm

I entirely reject his promotion. He is not experienced enough and has not contributed to the forum much as a Community Ambassador nearly as well as he should have. We should give him a few more months to prove himself. Sorry!

Dolly
hotty & country singer

Likes received: 532

Team: The Wild West

Unread postby Abdeltyf » 9th September, 2017, 1:47 pm

Politics smh

:keke:
Abdeltyf
Formerly "Winpartium"

First name: Abdeltyf
Likes received: 25

Team: The Far East

Unread postby Example » 9th September, 2017, 1:48 pm

ImageMomma has arrived its about time the staff gets a little femme fatal a little magic a little grace Image

A VOTE FOR ME IS A VOTE FOR FREEEEEDOM
Example

First name: Kyler
Likes received: 446

Unread postby Kaspar » 9th September, 2017, 1:49 pm

Example wrote:
ImageMomma has arrived its about time the staff gets a little femme fatal a little magic a little grace Image

I think that this post is more than enough to convince you how to vote :lol:
Proudly, the Captain of team Spirited Away
House Cup 2017

mattyk wrote:You are indeed all-round 100% certified awesome!

ImageImage
ImageImage
Kaspar
The Kind Moderator / Year Cup Judge / Lochlan's cat enthusiast

First name: Kacper
Likes received: 400

Unread postby boiii » 9th September, 2017, 1:53 pm

Kaspar wrote:
Example wrote:

I think that this post is more than enough to convince you how to vote :lol:

I can't change to "no" anymore :(
boiii
oh shit waddup

First name: Kamiel
Likes received: 217

Team: The Far East

Unread postby Jacketh » 9th September, 2017, 1:54 pm

Jacketh wrote:As is always the case, feel free to state why you think Example is or is not a good fit for Moderator - this is more important than the poll numbers.

I would like to emphasis this now for anyone who votes "no". Particularly after a recent Moderator poll :P
Jacketh
Admin

Unread postby Dolly » 9th September, 2017, 2:02 pm

jk ofc Kyler should be a mod, but the structural changes are overly complicated and have the potential to confuse new members.

In addition to my basic complaint that the reorganization makes little sense when put in effect,
1. Kaspar was just made a moderator, what, a few weeks ago and he's a senior moderator? I see KrisKross as being a good fit since he has been in this position a lot longer. I know your reasoning was that you didn't want moderators to get bored, but randomly picking people to be "seniors" seems to defeat this purpose especially when we already know the merits of the staff members.
2. Splitting the CA team into two also seems unnecessarily confusing. I could see the benefit in making a distinction, but this should be made at the backend instead of creating new roles.
3. Scottnesss, Scherzy, Freakism, and Tim are generally inactive. Thus, I would switch Ethan and Scherzy in their positions.
Dolly
hotty & country singer

Unread postby KrisCross » 9th September, 2017, 2:17 pm

Pity wrote:jk ofc Kyler should be a mod, but the structural changes are overly complicated and have the potential to confuse new members.

In addition to my basic complaint that the reorganization makes little sense when put in effect,
1. Kaspar was just made a moderator, what, a few weeks ago and he's a senior moderator? I see KrisKross as being a good fit since he has been in this position a lot longer. I know your reasoning was that you didn't want moderators to get bored, but randomly picking people to be "seniors" seems to defeat this purpose especially when we already know the merits of the staff members.
2. Splitting the CA team into two also seems unnecessarily confusing. I could see the benefit in making a distinction, but this should be made at the backend instead of creating new roles.
3. Scottnesss, Scherzy, Freakism, and Tim are generally inactive. Thus, I would switch Ethan and Scherzy in their positions.

It's pretty simple actually, we have a social media team and a forum activity team. These changes are mostly to boost staff productivity and other than the results of their efforts, these titles don't change much for you.

1. The role of moderator got twitched a bit, basically Kaspar and I still fulfill the same role, while Kyler's really will be more aching towards the role of 'head CA' he unofficially fulfilled until now. :P
2. It was very much necessary as the role of CA became a bit of a shallow reward. The restructuring comes with internal changes, like how our staff chats work as well and judging by the response from the current team, we're rather hopeful!
KrisCross
Moderator Emeriti

Likes received: 246

Unread postby Dolly » 9th September, 2017, 2:25 pm

Like I said, it makes more sense to let that be an unofficial backend distinction (designating some CAs to do certain jobs). To new users, it seems confusing when instead of three staff levels (CA, Mod, & Admin) there are now five (Social, Community, Mod, Senior Mod, and Admin) where distinctions are blurred. My predictions are usually always correct, for better or worse, but considering there is no poll to vote on structural changes, I guess I am stuck.
Dolly
hotty & country singer

Unread postby Jacketh » 9th September, 2017, 2:30 pm

Pity wrote:Like I said, it makes more sense to let that be an unofficial backend distinction (designating some CAs to do certain jobs). To new users, it seems confusing when instead of three staff levels (CA, Mod, & Admin) there are now five (Social, Community, Mod, Senior Mod, and Admin) where distinctions are blurred. My predictions are usually always correct, for better or worse, but considering there is no poll to vote on structural changes, I guess I am stuck.

I think new members and our current members are more bright than you're giving them credit for. The Social team are in charge of Social stuff, including social media. The Community team, are in charge of community stuff.

A Senior Mod, is a... Senior Mod.

This isn't difficult :D
Jacketh
Admin

Unread postby KrisCross » 9th September, 2017, 2:33 pm

Also, distinctions are less blurred now, that is the point of these changes! Our CA's were a bit lost and I'm sure these new teams are less vague than simply the term 'Community ambassador'.
KrisCross
Moderator Emeriti

Unread postby Dolly » 9th September, 2017, 2:38 pm

Jacketh wrote:The Social team are in charge of Social stuff, including social media. The Community team, are in charge of social media.

Actually, that description kind of backs up my point. Social Team is in charge of "social stuff" (meaning?) "including social media" and the Community Team is in charge of social media. It also seems confusing because there appears to be no hierarchy between the two teams. If they have the same power and in effect do similar jobs, there is no point in creating new positions on the frontend. As the saying goes, you shouldn't fix what isn't broken.

Jacketh wrote:A Senior Mod, is a... Senior Mod.

I would presume that the title "senior" means they have more merit than the others and lead the team as a whole. It is fair to assume then that a senior performs his or her job better, has served for a much longer period of time, and/or is generally more respected in the community. Arbitrarily picking the only two moderators as "seniors" despite one of them only being in the position for a few weeks and leaving the clear contender as a regular moderator also makes this restructuring lack value.
Dolly
hotty & country singer

Unread postby Example » 9th September, 2017, 2:39 pm

A no without reasoning is a chicken without seasoning

Example

For post #This post was deleted by KrisCross on 9th September, 2017, 2:43 pm.
Reason: Double post

Unread postby Dolly » 9th September, 2017, 2:39 pm

KrisCross wrote:Also, distinctions are less blurred now, that is the point of these changes! Our CA's were a bit lost and I'm sure these new teams are less vague than simply the term 'Community ambassador'.

Would it really have been difficult to just tell, for example, Scott, Scherzy, and Jesse to manage social media and Kyler, Kaspar, and MCarr to do FTCs and community events?
Dolly
hotty & country singer

Unread postby KrisCross » 9th September, 2017, 2:42 pm

It was broken Pity. And the Social team does social media, obviously, the Community team is about forum activity. Read the roles properly before you criticize ;)
KrisCross
Moderator Emeriti

Unread postby Jacketh » 9th September, 2017, 2:43 pm

I made a typo. Obviously the social team are in charge of social media :P

This should help you, Pity:

Team Social
ROLE: You will be in charge of GTF's social media. This includes regularly tweeting, creating an attractive Tumblr, trying to gather followers, being active on Discord, coming up with new ideas on how to attract new members or how to integrate the social media more with the forums etc. Basically, drag GTF into 2017!

Team Community
ROLE: We don't have much use for Team Social if new members arrive on a dead forum and hop on the first train back out of here. That's where you guys come in! Your main focus is posting, creating new threads, welcoming new members, give advice, helping out with forum activities and coming up with new ways to make GTF attractive and fun!
Jacketh
Admin

Unread postby Dolly » 9th September, 2017, 2:44 pm

KrisCross wrote:It was broken Pity. And the Social team does social media, obviously, the Community team is about forum activity. Read the roles properly before you criticize ;)

When I quoted Jack, he had not edited his post, so shove that snarky winky face up where the sun doesn't shine.
Dolly
hotty & country singer

Unread postby Example » 9th September, 2017, 2:45 pm

Pity wrote:
KrisCross wrote:It was broken Pity. And the Social team does social media, obviously, the Community team is about forum activity. Read the roles properly before you criticize ;)

When I quoted Jack, he had not edited his post, so shove that snarky winky face up where the sun doesn't shine.

LMAO
Example

Next

Recently active