Newfags vs. Oldfags

Off-topic posts go in here; this forum is only loosely moderated.

Re: Newfags vs. Oldfags

Unread postby TheBrunswickian » 4th January, 2018, 7:10 pm

wolbre04 wrote:He was elected into my heart on November 4, 2008, Ryan. Quit trying to spoil my moment!!!!

but wasnt inaugurated until January 2009
House Cup 2016 - Team Westeros
House Cup 2017 - Team Lion King
Year Cup 2017/18 - The Far East



Image
User avatar
TheBrunswickian
Lazarus
 
First name: Jesse
Posts: 3352
Likes received: 524
Joined: 30th January, 2014, 11:49 pm
Location: Poundtown
Country: Australia (au)

Re: Newfags vs. Oldfags

Unread postby JonathanT88 » 4th January, 2018, 9:07 pm

Has anyone noticed that people seem to spend about twice as much time talking about how shit GTF is as actually.... talking? Perhaps it's becoming a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy, and by going on about how terrible the newbies are (they're not) we're making others see the terrible in them.

I've only noticed this trend in the past few weeks, and it's leaving a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. "Old GTF" means a lot to me, as it does to many others, because it played a crucial part in our formative years. However, we experienced it with a certain mindset, at a certain age, in a now increasingly distant era and it's about time we accepted we cannot recapture that.

Instead, we should try and make current GTF as enjoyable as it can be for all users, including those who have been here several years. Newbies will not enjoy the forum if they keep getting told they're shit (they're not) and old members will not enjoy the forum if they can concentrate on the here and now without having some bygone era, which they're supposed to think was MUCH better than now, constantly shoved in their faces.

I miss 2014 GTF, but don't you think it's arrogant to go on about it when the only purpose that serves it showing newbies you were part of something much better than the thing which exists today, and don't you think it's cruel to blame them for this? Most of them are here for the same reasons you were, most of them are lovely people and, if you get to know them, many can provide the humour (or drama) you so clearly crave.

But hey, what we really need are users about whom we can make the same recurring fisting joke for several years. That's quality contribution.
Gudrun wrote:

"How many times have I told you? Homosexuality is only to be used for revolutionary purposes!"

Image ImageImage

ImageImageImage
User avatar
JonathanT88
Horny Jonathan of the Homosexual Intifada
 
First name: Jonathan (duh.)
Posts: 5617
Likes received: 752
Joined: 1st June, 2013, 1:19 pm
Location: A Berlin sex dungeon
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Newfags vs. Oldfags

Unread postby Cobalt » 4th January, 2018, 9:09 pm

Vortex wrote:nah, but, like, for real, this is exhausting. Chill the fuck out, all y'all. no, GTF wasn't "way better" x years ago. I can't pinpoint to a time when it was "way better" overall. Because you know what? It used to have a FUCKTON of problems that y'all are romanticizing away like white bitches glamorizing the 1950's while ignoring all the racism, homophobia, and sexism.

Oh no! GTF is no longer a bastion of sexual misconduct between minors and adults! THE HORROR.

screaming omg
User avatar
Cobalt
Momderator
 
Posts: 21579
Likes received: 266
Joined: 1st August, 2009, 12:20 am
Country: United States (us)

Re: Newfags vs. Oldfags

Unread postby Hierax » 4th January, 2018, 9:09 pm

hi I'm an oldfag kappa
ImageImage
User avatar
Hierax
Flazéda
 
Posts: 1220
Likes received: 309
Joined: 3rd August, 2017, 8:55 am

Re: Newfags vs. Oldfags

Unread postby VinnyV » 4th January, 2018, 9:24 pm

Jacketh wrote:Still, oldfags are better because Vinny was an oldfag and no one comes close to him :gaycat:


What are the odds that you post this hours before I come back from like 8 months of inactivity :rofl2: :heart:
Image

Image
User avatar
VinnyV
dudebro graduate
 
Posts: 192
Likes received: 4
Joined: 29th December, 2013, 12:35 pm
Location: New York
Country: United States (us)

Re: Newfags vs. Oldfags

Unread postby VinnyV » 4th January, 2018, 9:28 pm

Also, people have been talking about how the forum was dying since I joined at the end of 2013, and clearly it's not dead. Sure, it's not what it used to be, but just like people mature and change with age, so does the forum. Why is that a bad thing?
Image

Image
User avatar
VinnyV
dudebro graduate
 
Posts: 192
Likes received: 4
Joined: 29th December, 2013, 12:35 pm
Location: New York
Country: United States (us)

Re: Newfags vs. Oldfags

Unread postby JonathanT88 » 4th January, 2018, 9:32 pm

VinnyV wrote:Also, people have been talking about how the forum was dying since I joined at the end of 2013, and clearly it's not dead. Sure, it's not what it used to be, but just like people mature and change with age, so does the forum. Why is that a bad thing?


True! I first remember "the forum is dead" stuff getting discussed after the 25-plus ban and Pooler's departure.
Gudrun wrote:

"How many times have I told you? Homosexuality is only to be used for revolutionary purposes!"

Image ImageImage

ImageImageImage
User avatar
JonathanT88
Horny Jonathan of the Homosexual Intifada
 
First name: Jonathan (duh.)
Posts: 5617
Likes received: 752
Joined: 1st June, 2013, 1:19 pm
Location: A Berlin sex dungeon
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Newfags vs. Oldfags

Unread postby Dolly » 4th January, 2018, 10:49 pm

I don't think anyone has personal issues with the new users. The qualms "oldfags" have mostly appear to be about the collective attitudes and culture of the new user base. Specifically, the case is often made that they are generally far more sensitive, non-confrontational, incapable of grasping sarcasm, unable to enjoy playful banter, and bland.

1. Sensitivity: When witnessing a fat joke, rude comment, or otherwise uncomfortable situation, it seems that new users freak out. They immediately turn to the report system, cower like a dog caught in a thunderstorm, or end up talking about depression for the next hour instead of firing back. Look at the GTFessions in which presumably new users cry and whine about Kyler calling people "rats" and "baby fats." The world doesn't consist of fairies and unicorns. If viewing the words "autistic" and "fat" makes one want to cry, then he or she shouldn't be on the internet.

2. Non-confrontational behavior: When new users have issues with other members, specifically older ones, they instantly begin to trash talk one another in private. They're fake. Without much debate, "old GTF" had its fair share of backroom gossip, but everyone typically called each other out for stupid comments or annoying behavior. Bickering was largely performed publicly or within the confines of private messages between a victim and an offender. I have had multiple people here share screenshots of brats complaining about me and others despite never contacting me about issues they have. Please, new users, if you don't like something, stand up to the podium and call me out.

3. Incapability of grasping sarcasm and irony: Again, this issue is similar to the aforementioned ones. It seems that many new users read messages at face value and cannot decipher a deeper meaning or joke behind them. Upon making light of miscommunication, recently-registered members almost immediately begin apologizing far more than necessary and cause a confusing scene. Part of me believes this is the result a geographically-created divide of culture. In other words, droves of non-North American act as if they have neither used mockery nor ridiculous when cracking a joke.

4. Inability to enjoy playful banter: When Kyler calls me an ugly tranny with an eating disorder, I play along with him because I know how to have fun with people. Even with people like Scott, Vortex, and George, I love stirring the pot whenever we get into arguments. New members, however, take any confrontation personally and dislike jokes with any depth or interactivity. When fights occur in chat, inexperienced users are quick to become repulsed and disgruntled, finding other ways to occupy their attention spans in the meantime.

5. Blandness: I've gathered that the idolization of "old GTF" stems from the phenomenon of recent users not having a unique personality. They regurgitate the same conversational pieces over and over again. By no means does this argument apply to all users and perhaps not even a majority, but most conversations I see from new users are primitive in nature and simple, even for the younger teens here. In terms of personality, a lot of people become prominent in the social ranks here because they have special qualities. Jon, for example, is famous for articulating his disputes in a persuasive and challenging format. Scott is well-known for his classic props when video chatting: a cigarette and a glass of alcohol. Kyler is popular for producing ridiculously entertaining videos and GIFs. I have become notorious for being confrontational, offensive, and a stubborn contrarian. Many new users appear all too similar. You could switch around their usernames and it would be difficult to differentiate them. Very few users exert the uniqueness that "old fags" have in the past.

I am not an expert on "old GTF." While I did join the forum over 4 years ago in late 2013, my activity was sporadic and I was not well-known until mid-2016. Between those times, I still put myself out there; some older users can still remember the emblematic 14-year-old version of myself that was Design. I miss the feeling of stumbling upon on our now defunct 123FlashChat room to see 20+ different users throwing out GIFs, playing iconic reaction audio clips like "Sure, Jan" and an occasional gasp, and goofing around.

My theory as to why the demographic has changed is because the internet's version of natural selection is becoming impossible to occur. Yes, it sucks to feel like the outsider when you first join, but that filtration process ensures we have long-lasting, quality members. We have always had childish, boring, and sensitive users join. In the times of "old GTF," however, it was eat or be eaten. If you didn't make yourself known or couldn't keep up with the fruitful conversations, you were swept under the rug and never seen again. Those who stuck it out or had an incredibly unique personality are today considered "oldfags." On Discord, there can be 50 "newfags" online that quickly form loose-net cliques and become impossible extinguish, effectively alienating "old fags" and suffocating them until they quit because the website has lost its persona. At this point, the forum is becoming no different than our competitor forums and subreddits. New users can exciting, entertaining, and a benefit to the website, but due to current circumstances, I think an innumerable amount of them will always be considered to be sub-par.
Image
User avatar
Dolly
hotty & country singer
 
Posts: 3588
Likes received: 798
Joined: 19th July, 2015, 11:50 pm
Location: Tennesee
Country: United States (us)

Re: Newfags vs. Oldfags

Unread postby Lightboy » 4th January, 2018, 11:07 pm

I'm going to give Dolly a virtual award for what he wrote, I love it for his effort.
Image

Image
User avatar
Lightboy
Compulsive Hugger
 
First name: Fady
Posts: 239
Likes received: 63
Joined: 25th January, 2017, 10:11 am
Location: On Earth

Re: Newfags vs. Oldfags

Unread postby Jacketh » 5th January, 2018, 1:16 am

5/5 for effort, yep
..
Jacketh
Member
 
Posts: 10298
Likes received: 830
Joined: 12th June, 2012, 7:00 pm
Location: Solar System
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Newfags vs. Oldfags

Unread postby ireland » 5th January, 2018, 1:17 am

I do think that criticisms on both sides are indeed legitimate, however, I do not view this whole issue as a genuine issue, I think it is entirely up to personal preference, and if you dislike the way something is going, try to change it.

Also I would like to thank Pity, George, and any other user who wrote a long, detailed and interesting post outlining their perspective, it makes for interesting reading. At least this thread is creating contributions to the forum that is meant to spark debate, something which I believe to be a good thing.
ireland
Member
 
First name: Connor
Posts: 141
Likes received: 20
Joined: 1st April, 2016, 2:06 pm
Country: Ireland (ie)

Re: Newfags vs. Oldfags

Unread postby Rwinter96 » 5th January, 2018, 1:22 am

Whilst I do agree with some of the points Pity made, there is one specific thing I wish to raise. I don't like people using words such as "autistic" as a throwaway insult because for me anyway, it makes me feel like I am worth less and it's just a joke to y'all. Whilst that may not be how you intend it, because I don't know where people choose to draw their lines and since a common trait of Autism/Asperger's is an inability to detect sarcasm (plus it's not particularly easy with text to begin with) I do interpret things like that at face value, correctly or not. I don't intend to apportion blame in any way by saying this, I just want to give my perspective as to why some may be offended in this particular scenario
Rwinter96
Member
 
First name: Ryan
Posts: 315
Likes received: 43
Joined: 4th March, 2017, 11:02 am
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Newfags vs. Oldfags

Unread postby Gavin » 5th January, 2018, 4:09 am

Dolly wrote:I don't think anyone has personal issues with the new users. The qualms "oldfags" have mostly appear to be about the collective attitudes and culture of the new user base. Specifically, the case is often made that they are generally far more sensitive, non-confrontational, incapable of grasping sarcasm, unable to enjoy playful banter, and bland.

1. Sensitivity: When witnessing a fat joke, rude comment, or otherwise uncomfortable situation, it seems that new users freak out. They immediately turn to the report system, cower like a dog caught in a thunderstorm, or end up talking about depression for the next hour instead of firing back. Look at the GTFessions in which presumably new users cry and whine about Kyler calling people "rats" and "baby fats." The world doesn't consist of fairies and unicorns. If viewing the words "autistic" and "fat" makes one want to cry, then he or she shouldn't be on the internet.

2. Non-confrontational behavior: When new users have issues with other members, specifically older ones, they instantly begin to trash talk one another in private. They're fake. Without much debate, "old GTF" had its fair share of backroom gossip, but everyone typically called each other out for stupid comments or annoying behavior. Bickering was largely performed publicly or within the confines of private messages between a victim and an offender. I have had multiple people here share screenshots of brats complaining about me and others despite never contacting me about issues they have. Please, new users, if you don't like something, stand up to the podium and call me out.

3. Incapability of grasping sarcasm and irony: Again, this issue is similar to the aforementioned ones. It seems that many new users read messages at face value and cannot decipher a deeper meaning or joke behind them. Upon making light of miscommunication, recently-registered members almost immediately begin apologizing far more than necessary and cause a confusing scene. Part of me believes this is the result a geographically-created divide of culture. In other words, droves of non-North American act as if they have neither used mockery nor ridiculous when cracking a joke.

4. Inability to enjoy playful banter: When Kyler calls me an ugly tranny with an eating disorder, I play along with him because I know how to have fun with people. Even with people like Scott, Vortex, and George, I love stirring the pot whenever we get into arguments. New members, however, take any confrontation personally and dislike jokes with any depth or interactivity. When fights occur in chat, inexperienced users are quick to become repulsed and disgruntled, finding other ways to occupy their attention spans in the meantime.

5. Blandness: I've gathered that the idolization of "old GTF" stems from the phenomenon of recent users not having a unique personality. They regurgitate the same conversational pieces over and over again. By no means does this argument apply to all users and perhaps not even a majority, but most conversations I see from new users are primitive in nature and simple, even for the younger teens here. In terms of personality, a lot of people become prominent in the social ranks here because they have special qualities. Jon, for example, is famous for articulating his disputes in a persuasive and challenging format. Scott is well-known for his classic props when video chatting: a cigarette and a glass of alcohol. Kyler is popular for producing ridiculously entertaining videos and GIFs. I have become notorious for being confrontational, offensive, and a stubborn contrarian. Many new users appear all too similar. You could switch around their usernames and it would be difficult to differentiate them. Very few users exert the uniqueness that "old fags" have in the past.

I am not an expert on "old GTF." While I did join the forum over 4 years ago in late 2013, my activity was sporadic and I was not well-known until mid-2016. Between those times, I still put myself out there; some older users can still remember the emblematic 14-year-old version of myself that was Design. I miss the feeling of stumbling upon on our now defunct 123FlashChat room to see 20+ different users throwing out GIFs, playing iconic reaction audio clips like "Sure, Jan" and an occasional gasp, and goofing around.

My theory as to why the demographic has changed is because the internet's version of natural selection is becoming impossible to occur. Yes, it sucks to feel like the outsider when you first join, but that filtration process ensures we have long-lasting, quality members. We have always had childish, boring, and sensitive users join. In the times of "old GTF," however, it was eat or be eaten. If you didn't make yourself known or couldn't keep up with the fruitful conversations, you were swept under the rug and never seen again. Those who stuck it out or had an incredibly unique personality are today considered "oldfags." On Discord, there can be 50 "newfags" online that quickly form loose-net cliques and become impossible extinguish, effectively alienating "old fags" and suffocating them until they quit because the website has lost its persona. At this point, the forum is becoming no different than our competitor forums and subreddits. New users can exciting, entertaining, and a benefit to the website, but due to current circumstances, I think an innumerable amount of them will always be considered to be sub-par.


:nod: :applause:
All i need, is the love you breathe
put your lips on me,
and i can live underwater ~Mika

ImageImage
User avatar
Gavin
Kevin but shittier
 
First name: Gavin
Posts: 811
Likes received: 139
Joined: 10th May, 2017, 2:00 am
Location: a old funhouse, full of evil clowns
Country: Netherlands (nl)

Re: Newfags vs. Oldfags

Unread postby Hierax » 5th January, 2018, 4:25 am

We new fags are offended too quickly. Smh.
ImageImage
User avatar
Hierax
Flazéda
 
Posts: 1220
Likes received: 309
Joined: 3rd August, 2017, 8:55 am

Re: Newfags vs. Oldfags

Unread postby Kaspar » 5th January, 2018, 1:41 pm

Sokol wrote:We new fags are offended too quickly. Smh.


I'm offended at the fact you say I'm getting offended too quickly
Proudly, the Captain of team Spirited Away
House Cup 2017



ImageImage
ImageImage
User avatar
Kaspar
Silently sucking dick
 
First name: Kacper
Posts: 2431
Likes received: 602
Joined: 18th January, 2017, 5:50 pm
Location: Northern Poland, almost by the sea ey
Country: Poland (pl)

Re: Newfags vs. Oldfags

Unread postby CRUSTY SEA MILF » 5th January, 2018, 4:35 pm

Dolly wrote:Blandness: I've gathered that the idolization of "old GTF" stems from the phenomenon of recent users not having a unique personality. They regurgitate the same conversational pieces over and over again. By no means does this argument apply to all users and perhaps not even a majority, but most conversations I see from new users are primitive in nature and simple, even for the younger teens here. In terms of personality, a lot of people become prominent in the social ranks here because they have special qualities. Jon, for example, is famous for articulating his disputes in a persuasive and challenging format. Scott is well-known for his classic props when video chatting: a cigarette and a glass of alcohol. Kyler is popular for producing ridiculously entertaining videos and GIFs. I have become notorious for being confrontational, offensive, and a stubborn contrarian. Many new users appear all too similar. You could switch around their usernames and it would be difficult to differentiate them. Very few users exert the uniqueness that "old fags" have in the past.

I am not an expert on "old GTF." While I did join the forum over 4 years ago in late 2013, my activity was sporadic and I was not well-known until mid-2016. Between those times, I still put myself out there; some older users can still remember the emblematic 14-year-old version of myself that was Design. I miss the feeling of stumbling upon on our now defunct 123FlashChat room to see 20+ different users throwing out GIFs, playing iconic reaction audio clips like "Sure, Jan" and an occasional gasp, and goofing around.

My theory as to why the demographic has changed is because the internet's version of natural selection is becoming impossible to occur. Yes, it sucks to feel like the outsider when you first join, but that filtration process ensures we have long-lasting, quality members. We have always had childish, boring, and sensitive users join. In the times of "old GTF," however, it was eat or be eaten. If you didn't make yourself known or couldn't keep up with the fruitful conversations, you were swept under the rug and never seen again. Those who stuck it out or had an incredibly unique personality are today considered "oldfags." On Discord, there can be 50 "newfags" online that quickly form loose-net cliques and become impossible extinguish, effectively alienating "old fags" and suffocating them until they quit because the website has lost its persona. At this point, the forum is becoming no different than our competitor forums and subreddits. New users can exciting, entertaining, and a benefit to the website, but due to current circumstances, I think an innumerable amount of them will always be considered to be sub-par.

Image
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
CRUSTY SEA MILF
Egregious Infundibular
 
First name: Brennan/wolbre4
Posts: 1423
Likes received: 351
Joined: 1st November, 2017, 7:04 pm
Location: Probably Kevin's DMs / Minnesota
Country: United States (us)

Re: Newfags vs. Oldfags

Unread postby Example » 5th January, 2018, 5:06 pm

i want the new fags to write a counter post like dollys now
ImageImage
User avatar
Example
Moderator
 
First name: Kyler
Posts: 2900
Likes received: 566
Joined: 25th April, 2011, 10:25 pm
Location: vancouver
Country: Canada (ca)

Re: Newfags vs. Oldfags

Unread postby Kaspar » 5th January, 2018, 5:16 pm

JonathanT88 wrote:Has anyone noticed that people seem to spend about twice as much time talking about how shit GTF is as actually.... talking? Perhaps it's becoming a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy, and by going on about how terrible the newbies are (they're not) we're making others see the terrible in them.

I've only noticed this trend in the past few weeks, and it's leaving a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. "Old GTF" means a lot to me, as it does to many others, because it played a crucial part in our formative years. However, we experienced it with a certain mindset, at a certain age, in a now increasingly distant era and it's about time we accepted we cannot recapture that.

Instead, we should try and make current GTF as enjoyable as it can be for all users, including those who have been here several years. Newbies will not enjoy the forum if they keep getting told they're shit (they're not) and old members will not enjoy the forum if they can concentrate on the here and now without having some bygone era, which they're supposed to think was MUCH better than now, constantly shoved in their faces.

I miss 2014 GTF, but don't you think it's arrogant to go on about it when the only purpose that serves it showing newbies you were part of something much better than the thing which exists today, and don't you think it's cruel to blame them for this? Most of them are here for the same reasons you were, most of them are lovely people and, if you get to know them, many can provide the humour (or drama) you so clearly crave.

But hey, what we really need are users about whom we can make the same recurring fisting joke for several years. That's quality contribution.


Jon, how DARE YOU come here and be reasonable!
Proudly, the Captain of team Spirited Away
House Cup 2017



ImageImage
ImageImage
User avatar
Kaspar
Silently sucking dick
 
First name: Kacper
Posts: 2431
Likes received: 602
Joined: 18th January, 2017, 5:50 pm
Location: Northern Poland, almost by the sea ey
Country: Poland (pl)

Re: Newfags vs. Oldfags

Unread postby JonathanT88 » 5th January, 2018, 6:57 pm

As an old fag, I am THOROUGHLY offended by the treatment of the new fags. I am ACTUALLY SHAKING.

How does that square with your stereotypes?
Gudrun wrote:

"How many times have I told you? Homosexuality is only to be used for revolutionary purposes!"

Image ImageImage

ImageImageImage
User avatar
JonathanT88
Horny Jonathan of the Homosexual Intifada
 
First name: Jonathan (duh.)
Posts: 5617
Likes received: 752
Joined: 1st June, 2013, 1:19 pm
Location: A Berlin sex dungeon
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Newfags vs. Oldfags

Unread postby Kaspar » 5th January, 2018, 7:26 pm

JonathanT88 wrote:As an old fag, I am THOROUGHLY offended by the treatment of the new fags. I am ACTUALLY SHAKING.

How does that square with your stereotypes?


It shows how WEAK the oldfags are xo
Proudly, the Captain of team Spirited Away
House Cup 2017



ImageImage
ImageImage
User avatar
Kaspar
Silently sucking dick
 
First name: Kacper
Posts: 2431
Likes received: 602
Joined: 18th January, 2017, 5:50 pm
Location: Northern Poland, almost by the sea ey
Country: Poland (pl)

PreviousNext

Recently active
Users browsing this forum: Ahrefs [Bot], Anonymous Boy, CommonCrawl [Bot], Corrdorr, CRUSTY SEA MILF, Dim0811, DotNetDotCom.org [Bot], Estaphel, Exabot [Bot], ExaleadThumbnails [Bot], FirePhantom, freakism, Google Search Appliance, Google Web Preview [Bot], JuhO, KieranCat, Levelsio, Lightboy, LoneWolf, Nolvlon, Nostalgia, Shayla, swedeam, Tim., Yandex [Bot], Zephyrus and 126 guests