Favourite place you've travelled to

Off-topic posts go in here; this forum is only loosely moderated.

Favourite place you've travelled to

Unread postby Lochlan » 11th March, 2018, 5:38 am

Ok so I've been mindlessly trawling the forum looking for threads to screenshot as reference and remake, expect more every now and then ;)

Regardless, what is your favourite place you've travelled to? What did you do? Some GTFers seem to do a lot of traveling, so I imagine there should be some good answers.

For myself it was when I went to CERN in Switzerland and had a small tour with my school. We got to see CERN's first particle collider ever created (the Synchrocyclotron, honestly, the name is rediculous) as well as one of the building blocks of the Large Hadron Collider. The physics behind it all baffles me.

We also saw the Jet d'Eau in Geneva, quite pretty.
I didn't take the picture, didn't feel like finding my old phone to get the ones I have.
Chaos is great! Chaos is what killed the dinosaurs, darling.
Lochlan
BOT Hunter

First name: Lochlan
Likes received: 279

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier IV
Progress to next tier:
17 / 28

Re: Favourite place you've travelled to

Unread postby Dolly » 11th March, 2018, 1:42 pm

umm i went to north carolina and got this view at Chimney Rock State Park

(i also didnt feel like getting my own pics)

Dolly
hotty & country singer

Likes received: 843

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier IV
Progress to next tier:
12 / 28

Unread postby KrisCross » 11th March, 2018, 3:20 pm

My favorite trip was hands down to Thailand. The nature is excessively beautiful, the food cheap and delicious, the cities lively and there is a very relaxing, laid-back vibe. Bangkok wasn't my favorite city I ever visited, but I was incredibly fond of it for the cultural differences and nice people I met there. The nature in the north and especially the south is well worth the effort and definitely have strengthened my desire to travel outside of Europe more often.

Vacay pic spam you didn't ask for:

If we're talking cities, New York, London and Porto take the crown, but these are places I enjoyed for very different reasons, so it doesn't really feel fair to compare them to any place I've been to in Thailand.
KrisCross
Belgian Daddy

Likes received: 413

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
4 / 7

Unread postby Lochlan » 11th March, 2018, 6:39 pm

KrisCross wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
My favorite trip was hands down to Thailand. The nature is excessively beautiful, the food cheap and delicious, the cities lively and there is a very relaxing, laid-back vibe. Bangkok wasn't my favorite city I ever visited, but I was incredibly fond of it for the cultural differences and nice people I met there. The nature in the north and especially the south is well worth the effort and definitely have strengthened my desire to travel outside of Europe more often.

If we're talking cities, New York, London and Porto take the crown, but these are places I enjoyed for very different reasons, so it doesn't really feel fair to compare them to any place I've been to in Thailand.

Omg, those pictures make Thailand look amazing, like, I'm planning a trip now amazing.
Chaos is great! Chaos is what killed the dinosaurs, darling.
Lochlan
BOT Hunter

First name: Lochlan
Likes received: 279

:
Tier IV
Progress to next tier:
17 / 28

Unread postby Kaspar » 11th March, 2018, 8:51 pm

Lochlan wrote:
KrisCross wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

Omg, those pictures make Thailand look amazing, like, I'm planning a trip now amazing.

If you plan on going there, you'll need to pay extra attention to keeping your virginity in place, though, just saying :lol:
Proudly, the Captain of team Spirited Away
House Cup 2017

ImageImage
ImageImage
Kaspar
Lochlan's cat enthusiast

First name: Kacper
Likes received: 692

:
Tier IV
Progress to next tier:
25 / 28

Unread postby Jacketh » 11th March, 2018, 8:59 pm

Thailand! KrisCross is pretty spot on. I'm planning on going back for a few months soon.

I do love Bangkok though. It can be dirty. It can be smelly. It is polluted. It is humid. It is chaotic. But you mix that with the fact its a growing international business city (it dwarfs even London for the high rise business towers), attracts thousands of backpackers, has so much to see and do in terms of culture, and the street food, tuktuks, crazy things that you constantly see... it's just an incredible city with a unique buzz once you adapt to it. I spent about 10 days there, when most only stick around for a couple of days before heading elsewhere.

I went to Beijing for a couple of weeks after Bangkok and I didn't really enjoy it. It was far more orderly, the people were not as kind, and I missed how chaotic and bizarre Bangkok was.

Jacketh

Likes received: 903

:
Tier II
Progress to next tier:
5 / 7

Unread postby macdan096 » 17th April, 2018, 12:50 pm

Norway is definitely on the top of my list, the roads, the scenery, everything was bang on!
macdan096

First name: Dan
Likes received: 3

:
Tier IV
Progress to next tier:
16 / 28

Unread postby Woollyhoolly » 17th April, 2018, 2:13 pm

Naturewise, the seas north of Bali. I saw some beautiful dolphins there, and there are some very pretty waterfalls on land.

city wise, it's a tie between London and Singapore. If I'd have to choose it would be Singapore because 1. the climate and 2. so many interesting culture mixes Image Image Image
Made you look

Trudeau's my daddy
Woollyhoolly
Classy

First name: Tim
Likes received: 152

:
Tier IV
Progress to next tier:
27 / 28

Unread postby Woollyhoolly » 17th April, 2018, 2:17 pm

I would place Kuala Lumpur 2nd. Eventhough the city has a good climate, has friendly people, and is very cheap, the methods of inner and intercity transport are not well developped.
Made you look

Trudeau's my daddy
Woollyhoolly
Classy

First name: Tim
Likes received: 152

:
Tier IV
Progress to next tier:
27 / 28

Unread postby FirePhantom » 30th April, 2018, 7:04 am

Bratislava's historic centre is wonderful. It's completely pedestrian and just the right size, with terrace restaurants and old buildings and not too many tourists. Praha's Old Town and Little Side is nice too, except that many streets are still vehicular and there are way too many tourists.

On my recent birthday I stumbled on a faerie wonderland of dozens of waterfalls and a white tree (like Gondor's) in a little offshoot valley near Edale, Hope Valley, Derbyshire. I already loved the area, so this has just further solidified it.

In Portugal there's a historic beach resort town called Nazaré that is the perfect, quintessential beach town. It's got a long, deep beach, ice cream parlours, restaurants, shopping, a funicular up to a village on a cliff in which there's one of the best restaurants ever. On the other side of the cliff there's an area that gets some of the largest waves in the world, where many surfboarding records have been set. There aren't that many tourists because it's so far from Lisbon (1.5 hours) and Porto (2 hours), and a lot of the tourists are French and Spanish, but they still have English on menus.
FirePhantom
Valar Dohaeris

First name: Brenden
Likes received: 67

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
2 / 7

Recently active