Doctor Who - #Doctor13

The place for your music, films, television shows, and all things pop culture.

Re: Doctor Who

Unread postby KrisCross » 24th April, 2016, 8:37 am

I think the new companion deserves a little bump! Let's welcome Bill! She looks like a lot of fun and reminded me a bit of Donna, which got me very excited.

KrisCross
Senior Moderator

Likes received: 231

Unread postby noface99 » 24th April, 2016, 9:41 am

It's a strange choice but I'm looking forward to seeing what they'll do with her.
I'm gone for now.
noface99
Ginger Weirdo

First name: Phil

Unread postby KrisCross » 24th April, 2016, 10:08 am

Why do you think it's a strange choice?
KrisCross
Senior Moderator

Unread postby noface99 » 24th April, 2016, 11:06 am

Unlike the previous companions of the new era, she hasn't had any roles on TV (apart from an appearance on a low key TV soap about Doctors, yes I know how ironic). The others had notable TV roles, especially Catherine Tate and Jenna Coleman.
I'm gone for now.
noface99
Ginger Weirdo

Unread postby KrisCross » 24th April, 2016, 11:53 am

Ah yes, but I think it's kind of cool they went for someone like that!
KrisCross
Senior Moderator

Unread postby Mathue » 24th April, 2016, 12:02 pm

Personally im not a fan tbh not sure why but she seems really annoying
HOUSE CUP 2015 WATER

Image Image
Mathue
The Better Matt

First name: Matt/Matthew
Likes received: 3

Unread postby BrownjaminBen » 24th April, 2016, 12:03 pm

Clara set the bar incredibly low for me so I'm all for this.
ImageImageImage
BrownjaminBen
Here For Your Bentertainment
Popularité Runner-Up

First name: Ben
Likes received: 11

Unread postby KrisCross » 24th April, 2016, 12:08 pm

Mathue wrote:Personally im not a fan tbh not sure why but she seems really annoying

We literally only saw like a minute of her in a hastily written introduction trailer, at least give her a chance. :skull: I mean Clara was bland in the beginning, but she had the best character growth of any companion so far!

I thought the dialogue was a bit clunky too, but I'm not judging her on that, the only thing we know about her so far is that she's a new companion, lighthearted and maybe from the 80's.
KrisCross
Senior Moderator

Unread postby Mathue » 24th April, 2016, 12:49 pm

BrownjaminBen wrote:Clara set the bar incredibly low for me so I'm all for this.

She did but still idk I don't think they made a very good first impression... It is SM still (isnt this his last series??)
HOUSE CUP 2015 WATER

Image Image
Mathue
The Better Matt

Unread postby Barbeller » 24th April, 2016, 12:55 pm

I've seen Pearl Mackie at the theatre, and she is honestly hilarious. I'm really excited for her, although the trailer did seem a little forced, awkward and over-extended. I really hope they don't waste her talent!
Barbeller
Popularité Whore

First name: Alec

Unread postby KrisCross » 24th April, 2016, 1:10 pm

Mathue wrote:She did but still idk I don't think they made a very good first impression... It is SM still (isnt this his last series??)

Yesss, Chris Chibnall is taking over. I'm really thrilled to see a new take on the show, but I'm slightly worried since none of the episodes he has done for DW so far were much more than just okay (except 42).

Nonetheless excited to see what he'll do, I loved Moffat, but it's about time the show gets a little refreshment.
KrisCross
Senior Moderator

Unread postby Mathue » 24th April, 2016, 1:33 pm

KrisCross wrote:
Mathue wrote:She did but still idk I don't think they made a very good first impression... It is SM still (isnt this his last series??)

Yesss, Chris Chibnall is taking over. I'm really thrilled to see a new take on the show, but I'm slightly worried since none of the episodes he has done for DW so far were much more than just okay (except 42).

Nonetheless excited to see what he'll do, I loved Moffat, but it's about time the show gets a little refreshment.

Omg no Moffat was awful... so many plot circles

Broadchurch is amazing apparently so yeah Im excited to see his take on a series approach rather than an episode or two if ygm
HOUSE CUP 2015 WATER

Image Image
Mathue
The Better Matt

Unread postby KrisCross » 24th April, 2016, 2:36 pm

Mathue wrote:Omg no Moffat was awful... so many plot circles

Broadchurch is amazing apparently so yeah Im excited to see his take on a series approach rather than an episode or two if ygm

Hey, to each his own! Moffat is still one of the most celebrated writers on TV and 8 of the top 10 highest rated Doctor Who episodes on IMDB are written by him, so no need to go bursting people's bubbles. :lol: As for the plotholes, it's a common complaint coming from people who don't like Moff, but he usually ties things up in later episodes or leaves them deliberately open to interpretation. The only real plothole he hasn't explained yet is why the Doctor's grave was still on Trenzalore in The Name of The Doctor when he cheated death in The Time of The Doctor, but that could just mean the Doctor still ends up dying there. Either way I never really agreed with that complaint.

But yes, I heard so too! Which is why I'm rather excited for season 11. I kinda hoped Moffat would have quit after series 9, it was glorious and a great moment to end his run, yet another series might be overkill. I'll probably still enjoy it though.
KrisCross
Senior Moderator

Unread postby Barbeller » 24th April, 2016, 3:43 pm

KrisCross wrote:Hey, to each his own! Moffat is still one of the most celebrated writers on TV and 8 of the top 10 highest rated Doctor Who episodes on IMDB are written by him, so no need to go bursting people's bubbles. :lol: As for the plotholes, it's a common complaint coming from people who don't like Moff, but he usually ties things up in later episodes or leaves them deliberately open to interpretation. The only real plothole he hasn't explained yet is why the Doctor's grave was still on Trenzalore in The Name of The Doctor when he cheated death in The Time of The Doctor, but that could just mean the Doctor still ends up dying there. Either way I never really agreed with that complaint.

There's a massive difference between being able to write good episodes and setting a good direction for a whole series, though. Moffat has always been pretty good at the individual episodes (see Blink), but I've always found his overarching plots to be too cheesy and overcomplicated.

Other plotholes include how the Statue of Liberty managed to actually move at all? New York is the city that never sleeps, and there are literally always people looking at the Statue of Liberty, so how the hell could it become a Weeping Angel?

Maybe we were just spoilt after Russell T Davies though...
Barbeller
Popularité Whore

First name: Alec

Unread postby Mathue » 24th April, 2016, 3:56 pm

Barbeller wrote:
KrisCross wrote:Hey, to each his own! Moffat is still one of the most celebrated writers on TV and 8 of the top 10 highest rated Doctor Who episodes on IMDB are written by him, so no need to go bursting people's bubbles. :lol: As for the plotholes, it's a common complaint coming from people who don't like Moff, but he usually ties things up in later episodes or leaves them deliberately open to interpretation. The only real plothole he hasn't explained yet is why the Doctor's grave was still on Trenzalore in The Name of The Doctor when he cheated death in The Time of The Doctor, but that could just mean the Doctor still ends up dying there. Either way I never really agreed with that complaint.

There's a massive difference between being able to write good episodes and setting a good direction for a whole series, though. Moffat has always been pretty good at the individual episodes (see Blink), but I've always found his overarching plots to be too cheesy and overcomplicated.

Other plotholes include how the Statue of Liberty managed to actually move at all? New York is the city that never sleeps, and there are literally always people looking at the Statue of Liberty, so how the hell could it become a Weeping Angel?

Yeah its not the plotHOLES its the plotCIRCLES during a series the underlying circle just I think is too much

Have to admit his singular episode writing is a lot better than his series writing imo, blink is an excellent example (bloody love that episode)

Loved RTD agreed :P
HOUSE CUP 2015 WATER

Image Image
Mathue
The Better Matt

Unread postby KrisCross » 24th April, 2016, 4:10 pm

Barbeller wrote:There's a massive difference between being able to write good episodes and setting a good direction for a whole series, though. Moffat has always been pretty good at the individual episodes (see Blink), but I've always found his overarching plots to be too cheesy and overcomplicated.

Even his series as a whole got great critical reviews though, but that all just boils down to personal preferences doesn't it? I for one love his more complex, overarching storylines.

Russel T Davies on the other hand I didn't enjoy as much because of his over-reliance on Deus ex Machinas and because the lack of overarching storylines felt unrewarding. Not to mention how he merely used the time traveling aspect of the show as a vehicle to bring the characters from one setting to another, which is a bit of a let down if you got into the show during a Moffat season.

Oh yes, the Angel of Liberty :lol: I'll give you that one!

What I just don't like about the DW fanbase is that for every Doctor, companion, recurring character or storywriter there is an entire bandwagon hating them, ready to shoot down every positive comment another fan makes. I mean in the end it's all just personal opinion and DW is a show where everything is constantly changing, yet the fans tend to get really vile when they don't like something.

EDIT: Just to make it clear I absolutely loved RTD's run, just a little bit less than Moffat.
KrisCross
Senior Moderator

Unread postby noface99 » 25th April, 2016, 12:01 pm

Broadchurch was great. Chris Chibnall will certainly know what he's doing. I'd expect him to bring a few people from that onto the cast too. He seems to keep the story interesting and also have a lot of plot twists and mysterious angles, I'm looking forward to what he can bring after Moffat is gone.

I personally am not a fan of Moffat's work, Russell T Davies was much better and I enjoyed that era more with Eccleston and Tennant.
I'm gone for now.
noface99
Ginger Weirdo

Unread postby KrisCross » 25th April, 2016, 7:27 pm

I love twists and mysterious angles, maybe I should check out Broadchurch to get myself hyped up!

Never been a big fan of Eccleston, but Tennant was great! I hope we get a Capaldi-Smith-Tennant episode one day, that would be glorious.
KrisCross
Senior Moderator

Unread postby KrisCross » 1st April, 2017, 6:16 am

Gunna bump this with the trailer for the new season in honor of Bill becoming the first openly gay companion!

KrisCross
Senior Moderator

Unread postby George » 1st April, 2017, 9:06 am

whatttt? we've had LGBT guys for agessss

Cpt Jack is so gay

those victorian interspecies lesbians

Clara and River have hinted at bisexualityyyyy

Dont get me wrong its a good thing, but its not the first :P
Image Hi, I'm George. Never met Me before? Image
George