Today I Learned... (Post Random *Facts*, Obviously)

Feeling happy, sad or excited about something? Seen a great movie? Write about your day in these long-running threads.

Re: Today I Learned... (Post Random *Facts*, Obviously)

Unread postby Will » 10th June, 2014, 7:08 pm

Mestaris wrote:That apparently including "an almost infinite army with the capabilities to wipe out civilian losses" (as in, real people don't need to join the army because we have artificial people to) whilst listing the uses of human cloning is a bad thing and makes me a terrible person who should kill himself. I can understand if you dont agree, but jesus christ you took it a bit far.


Stupid bloody liberals and their moral high ground.

Cloning isn't really a liberal vs conservative argument, and when it is it's usually conservatives who are against it. At any rate, these clone soldiers of yours would presumably have minds and the ability to feel pain, so not caring about the suffering you'd inflict on them is utterly callous.
User avatar
Will
"It cannot be fixed now."
 
Posts: 5711
Joined: 25th February, 2012, 4:31 am
Location: Clockwork City

Re: Today I Learned... (Post Random *Facts*, Obviously)

Unread postby Soulless » 10th June, 2014, 7:14 pm

Will wrote:
Mestaris wrote:That apparently including "an almost infinite army with the capabilities to wipe out civilian losses" (as in, real people don't need to join the army because we have artificial people to) whilst listing the uses of human cloning is a bad thing and makes me a terrible person who should kill himself. I can understand if you dont agree, but jesus christ you took it a bit far.


Stupid bloody liberals and their moral high ground.

Cloning isn't really a liberal vs conservative argument, and when it is it's usually conservatives who are against it. At any rate, these clone soldiers of yours would presumably have minds and the ability to feel pain, so not caring about the suffering you'd inflict on them is utterly callous.

Wouldn't you want to kill a clone?
Soulless
Not harmless. Still adorable.
 
Posts: 6643
Joined: 14th November, 2011, 1:27 pm
Location: England
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Today I Learned... (Post Random *Facts*, Obviously)

Unread postby Will » 10th June, 2014, 7:54 pm

Not if the only thing differentiating it from any other human was its method of creation, no.
User avatar
Will
"It cannot be fixed now."
 
Posts: 5711
Joined: 25th February, 2012, 4:31 am
Location: Clockwork City

Re: Today I Learned... (Post Random *Facts*, Obviously)

Unread postby Russell » 11th June, 2014, 5:45 am

Will wrote:
Russell wrote:I just realised (thanks to tumblr) that there is no actual reason for the alphabet to be in order. Like, I feel as though the world as I know it has been shattered.

Having an alphabetical order makes it significantly easier to organise other kinds of information, viz. by putting them into alphabetical order. How would you propose, for instance, that we organise phonebooks without an alphabetical order? GTF's Spill Your Guts list? Roll calls? And that's just people's names. All sorts of information can and is sorted alphabetically because that makes it far easier to access, and we couldn't do that if the alphabet wasn't in order.

So, what a surprise, someone on Tumblr was wrong.
Yes, I understand that the alphabet being in order has various uses, but who just sat down one day and decided that it had to be ordered? The aforementioned uses, would not have been devised until after the creation of a set order, so your point is moot. Also, why since the existence of the alphabet has it been in that particular order (obviously some languages have extra letters to represent sounds not found in other languages, but the general abcdef order has been observed throughout history). My mind is filled with questions which google apparently cannot answer.
I'm not arrogant. I'm just better than you.
--------
Death is lighter than a feather; duty heavier than a mountain.
Image
Image
User avatar
Russell
Heart of a Chilf, Soul of a Dragon
 
First name: Spaceman
Posts: 6946
Likes received: 24
Joined: 24th April, 2010, 2:45 pm
Location: Galbadia
Country: Australia (au)

Re: Today I Learned... (Post Random *Facts*, Obviously)

Unread postby Will » 11th June, 2014, 6:23 am

Russell wrote:Yes, I understand that the alphabet being in order has various uses, but who just sat down one day and decided that it had to be ordered? The aforementioned uses, would not have been devised until after the creation of a set order, so your point is moot. Also, why since the existence of the alphabet has it been in that particular order (obviously some languages have extra letters to represent sounds not found in other languages, but the general abcdef order has been observed throughout history). My mind is filled with questions which google apparently cannot answer.

My point is very much not moot. You said "there is no actual reason for the alphabet to be in order", to which I responded that there is a reason: organisation. That organisational advantage only being realised later has no bearing on its validity as a reason for order. Had you said there is no actual reason for someone to have initially ordered the alphabet my point would be moot, but you did not.

A reason why it may have initially been ordered is because ordered lists are easier to remember, hence easier to teach and learn. We remember things best in association with other things. It's easier for a student to remember a letter if there are set letters before and after it, as every successful recalling of a letter triggers the memory of the next letter.

As for why the order it is in has been continued, I would simply attribute that to convention.
User avatar
Will
"It cannot be fixed now."
 
Posts: 5711
Joined: 25th February, 2012, 4:31 am
Location: Clockwork City

Re: Today I Learned... (Post Random *Facts*, Obviously)

Unread postby martinhalldin » 17th June, 2014, 4:07 pm

Going out walking for two hours straight (not stopping at any point) will make your feet implode and make your legs bleed.
How do you tell someone "please fuck off in that direction -->" in the nicest way possible?
martinhalldin
Member
 
Posts: 124
Joined: 23rd March, 2014, 5:15 am
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Country: Sweden (se)

Re: Today I Learned... (Post Random *Facts*, Obviously)

Unread postby Will » 18th June, 2014, 9:18 pm

A least 101 out of my 188 Facebook friends, which is to say approximately 54%, are queer.
User avatar
Will
"It cannot be fixed now."
 
Posts: 5711
Joined: 25th February, 2012, 4:31 am
Location: Clockwork City

Re: Today I Learned... (Post Random *Facts*, Obviously)

Unread postby HjGranger » 18th June, 2014, 9:52 pm

According to one member of this forum, people should stick to their gender roles, in all walks of life, especially when it comes to parenting...but also, same sex couples can be good parents.
ImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
HjGranger
Father Synthetic
 
First name: Dan
Posts: 1267
Likes received: 4
Joined: 18th March, 2014, 5:32 pm
Location: Egham, Surrey
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Today I Learned... (Post Random *Facts*, Obviously)

Unread postby Snoop » 19th June, 2014, 7:32 am

Just found out from my brother that one of the guys we used to know has recently been diagnosed with HIV (He went public with it yesterday). A lesson learnt that it can happen to anyone, you are never the exception.
Boop boop
User avatar
Snoop
Member
 
Posts: 1095
Joined: 29th May, 2013, 6:07 pm
Location: Chester
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Today I Learned... (Post Random *Facts*, Obviously)

Unread postby James » 20th June, 2014, 4:22 pm

Found out today that my brother has a fetish for MILF porn today when I grabbed the wrong computer and saw the history.
Jhumpa Lahiri wrote:In death we're equal. It has that advantage over life.
[10:23 PM] HjGranger: Why read the Bible when you can have sex with other men?
[5:10 AM] Commander: Somebody help that gay!
[6:52 PM] JudgeDes: Omg Jake this is bigger than Ciara
[12:56 PM] Bourdain: Cum is like a reward after a job well done.
[9:11 PM] scottnesss: if i never see another gay again for a week ill be happy


ImageImageImage
User avatar
James
corrupted by irony
 
Posts: 1651
Likes received: 2
Joined: 14th April, 2014, 8:21 pm
Country: United States (us)

Team: The Far East

Re: Today I Learned... (Post Random *Facts*, Obviously)

Unread postby kid3210 » 20th June, 2014, 5:15 pm

Polish boys are kinky.
kid3210
Member
 
Posts: 197
Joined: 15th June, 2014, 5:33 pm

Re: Today I Learned... (Post Random *Facts*, Obviously)

Unread postby ucancallmeback » 20th June, 2014, 6:49 pm

You can't make jelly by putting it in the freezer for half the time, it just goes like ice : /
Image
TEAM HUFFLEPUFF - POPULARITE
User avatar
ucancallmeback
Gives You Lemons
 
Posts: 322
Joined: 11th October, 2013, 2:03 pm
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Today I Learned... (Post Random *Facts*, Obviously)

Unread postby Thumper » 21st June, 2014, 8:29 am

Today, I learned that the man who directed my favourite film (How to Train Your Dragon), Dean Deblois, was also in charge of my favourite Disney film, Lilo and Stitch, AS WELL AS co-writing Mulan. I have a new favourite director...oh, and he also worked on Atlantis: The Lost Empire too.
"Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Thumper
Retired
 
Posts: 6278
Joined: 21st March, 2011, 4:47 pm
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Today I Learned... (Post Random *Facts*, Obviously)

Unread postby django9_8 » 21st June, 2014, 2:44 pm

If you're bi and have two dicks, you can convert any straight guy

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1 ... enises_ama
Image
User avatar
django9_8
Member
 
Posts: 554
Joined: 20th November, 2013, 10:43 am
Country: Norway (no)

Re: Today I Learned... (Post Random *Facts*, Obviously)

Unread postby Soulless » 23rd June, 2014, 8:00 am

Never type the word "dirty" in a gay porn search.
Soulless
Not harmless. Still adorable.
 
Posts: 6643
Joined: 14th November, 2011, 1:27 pm
Location: England
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: Today I Learned... (Post Random *Facts*, Obviously)

Unread postby MiloValderrama » 12th July, 2014, 8:50 am

Newport Sex Scandal. Just another homosexual entrapping effort in military by offering blowjob to guys in early 1920's.

I think it's nice how wikipedia toning down their words in that particular article
MiloValderrama
Member
 
Posts: 541
Joined: 19th June, 2013, 10:43 am
Country: United States (us)

Re: Today I Learned... (Post Random *Facts*, Obviously)

Unread postby J-Pow » 21st August, 2014, 12:31 am

The lesbian relationship between Princess Bubblegum and Marceline in Adventure Time is canon. :monocle:

User avatar
J-Pow
Það er allt vel
 
Posts: 6754
Likes received: 1
Joined: 5th December, 2010, 6:20 pm
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Country: United States (us)

Re: Today I Learned... (Post Random *Facts*, Obviously)

Unread postby Ebsy » 21st August, 2014, 1:31 am

The acting dirvector of the USGS is Suzette Kimball.
Will wrote:Eye contact is serious. Make sure you get tested for H-eye-V.
Thumper wrote:I've read washing machine manuals that aroused me more.
User avatar
Ebsy
EBay
 
Posts: 2681
Likes received: 37
Joined: 2nd June, 2012, 1:27 am
Location: Missouri

Team: The Far East

Re: Today I Learned... (Post Random *Facts*, Obviously)

Unread postby Catharsis » 6th September, 2014, 5:43 pm

That there are people that think the holocaust never happenned
Catharsis: Extreme change of emotions due to any kind of renewal or rebirth
"I hurt myself, blaming you" - Christina Aguilera (Hurt)
"I fight like a girl" - Emilie Autumn (Fight like a girl), also, it's time for tea!
"Don't dress PORN!!!" - Mirandasings
"Oblivion is inevitable" - Hazel Grace Lancaster
Image
User avatar
Catharsis
Member
 
Posts: 83
Joined: 3rd September, 2014, 5:37 pm
Location: Paradox space
Country: Sweden (se)

Re: Today I Learned... (Post Random *Facts*, Obviously)

Unread postby Bonbon » 7th September, 2014, 2:10 am

43
Bonbon
Little Miss GTF 2011
 
Posts: 2166
Joined: 2nd December, 2010, 8:45 pm
Location: Canada
Country: Canada (ca)

PreviousNext

Recently active
Users browsing this forum: Ahrefs [Bot], CommonCrawl [Bot], Google [Bot], Woollyhoolly and 21 guests