Need help accepting myself

This is the place to discuss and get advice about things like coming out and relationships. Everyone is expected to be courteous here.

Need help accepting myself

Unread postby Gavin89 » 7th October, 2017, 9:46 pm

I have always known that I was Bi, and I tend to have a stronger attraction towards males. One of the things that has been holding me back is I fear that I won't be accepted from friends/family anymore if I had a relationship with the same sex. Also that I would have to face harassment from strangers for having a boyfriend. I have only dated women in my lifetime, but not men because of this fear. I've started using a dating app and so far it has been successful I am surprised that I was getting a lot more likes and messages from men but I think thats due because it is expected that the man messages the woman first and not vice versa. I am planning on having a date, how can I learn not to care what others think and enjoy myself?

Another thing I'm worried about is if people know I'm bi when dating they will tend to think I will cheat on them with a different sex since there is that stereotype around.
Gavin89

First name: Gavin

Re: Need help accepting myself

Unread postby Pity » 8th October, 2017, 12:22 am

I don't think there is a way to stop caring about other people. You kind of just have to realize that you're living your own life the way you want to. Also, I don't really know if people consider bisexuals more likely to cheat or if it's just a joke. In any case, good luck and welcome to the forum. :)
Pity
hotty & disgraced member

First name: Marcus
Likes received: 485

Re: Need help accepting myself

Unread postby Kaspar » 8th October, 2017, 10:57 am

Bi people cheating is indeed an existing stereotype. But as with every stereotype, it is usually only believed by the more narrow-minded people. If you find someone to be in a relationship with, he/she should understand what being bi truly means :P
As for the fear of what people will say - I'm not sure where you're from, but if it's a western country, then you will most likely have close to no trouble with that honestly. If not, find an environment that accepts you as you are, change toxic friends. If you fear the discrimination from the society - sometimes it's unavoidable, but we just have to try to educate those who can and ignore those who won't change their narrow-minded views.
Proudly, the Captain of team Spirited Away
House Cup 2017

mattyk wrote:You are indeed all-round 100% certified awesome!

ImageImage
ImageImage
Kaspar
The Kind Moderator / Lochlan's cat enthusiast

First name: Kacper
Likes received: 346

Recently active