Is it weird that I find it uncomfortable to talk about my sexuality?

This is the place to discuss and get advice about things like coming out and relationships. Everyone is expected to be courteous here.

Is it weird that I find it uncomfortable to talk about my sexuality?

Unread postby Powerdwarf » 5th December, 2017, 7:01 pm

I feel really awkward talking about my sexuality to others (i.e who/what I like, my opinions on LGBT matters etc.), including those I'm out to.

Has anyone else had this? Or is it just my introverted nature? I've been out for 6 months now.

Thanks for any responses.
Powerdwarf

Likes received: 11

Re: Is it weird that I find it uncomfortable to talk about my sexuali

Unread postby Dolly » 5th December, 2017, 9:16 pm

Why do you feel the need to discuss your sexuality with others? I don't think you should feel too bad about feeling nervous about admitting who you like. Being gay doesn't mean you have to talk about LGBT matters and your sex life.
Dolly
hotty & country singer

Likes received: 667

Team: The Wild West

Re: Is it weird that I find it uncomfortable to talk about my sexuali

Unread postby JamieC » 5th December, 2017, 10:34 pm

I certainly wouldn't say it's weird.

There are many factors that could be causing you to feel that way.

It takes time for these things to become second nature to talk about in general conversation... I think with so many of us bottling up these feelings for years, it can seem strange to adjust to revealing your thoughts on what seems so inherently personal at the time, especially shortly after coming out.

For me, I've been at uni for a year and a half now and have been out just as long. I came out to my friends at uni pretty much straight away but before that I wasn't out to anyone except immediate family. Even now, it depends on my individual relationship with a person as to how I feel opening up them about my sexuality. However in the year and a half I've been living a much more open lifestyle regarding my sexuality it has become so much easier to open up to friends in wider circles when they've asked anything.

I think it really depends on feeling comfortable in the environment you're in. In university I feel much more in my own skin than I did at home, that hence meant for me personally that I could feel more comfortable talking about my sexuality almost straight away where before I had been a closed book on the subject and avoided it profusely.

Your introverted nature may well be playing a part in why you feel this way. My introverted side has certainly been an obstacle for me. But you've only been out 6 months. You don't have to criticise yourself for feeling this way so shortly after coming out. Allow yourself the necessary time to adjust to being out and living in that for now. You'll know in your mind when you feel ready to discuss any feelings you have more in-depth with people. Trust your own judgement and live in the now, you'll probably find you'll surprise yourself sometime. :)
JamieC
Desperado

Likes received: 115

Team: The Wild West

Recently active