Kevin Spacey accused of sexual assault & comes out gay

A forum for respectful discussion & exchange of views on news, current affairs & thought-provoking topics; please read and be aware of the guidelines prior to posting.

Forum rules

Welcome to the News, Current Affairs & Debate subforum.

This forum is the place for intellectual discussions relating to news, current affairs, or philosophical & scientific debates. There are some guidelines that apply specifically to posts in this forum, of which you will be expected to have made yourself aware before participating. They are as follows:

• Intellectually stimulating topics only. If you can't have a deep discussion about something, it does not belong here.
  • If you're going to post, have something to say. When you make a new thread, write the initial post in a way that provides an introduction to the topic and invites further discussion. You could tell us how you feel and why, but always aim for constructive responses that further a discussion about the ideas involved, rather than a simple list of people's views. (Instead of asking "Are you a vegetarian?", discuss some of the arguments involved.) This guideline likewise applies for responses to topics.
  • Write using good English. That means full sentences with proper capitalisation, punctuation, spelling and grammar. No one is perfect, though; this is not an invitation to criticise others for minor mistakes.
  • Be nice. This is a forum for rational discourse, not flame wars. No one is always right. Be respectful of other people's views and accept that we are all entitled to our own.

These guidelines will be enforced by the moderators based on their best judgement, and anyone who does not take them seriously will lose the privilege of posting here. Spammers will be banned from the entire forum.

Kevin Spacey accused of sexual assault & comes out gay

Unread postby Jacketh » 30th October, 2017, 8:24 am

This has really disappointed me - and the fact that he's using allegations of sexual assault against him as a way of coming out gay is... not cool. At all. I suspect this will really damage him.

The statement he put out which you can see here by scrolling down is actually awful.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... ar-old-boy

Thoughts?
Jacketh

Likes received: 919

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Re: Kevin Spacey accused of sexual assault & comes out gay

Unread postby JonathanT88 » 30th October, 2017, 11:06 am

Seems ludicrous to defend this as "drunken antics" having invited a 17 year old and a 14 year old to a nightclub first, before taking them back to a party. That's dodgy in itself. The fact that the (alleged) victim turned out to be gay himself makes me feel like Spacey noticed certain 'characteristics' in him, which fuelled his exceedingly creepy opportunism.

I wouldn't have minded if he'd left his own (homo)sexuality implicit in the statement, as a way of making it known, but this is pretty inexcusable. The wording in that statement sounds so insincere, and the bit about his own sexuality seems stuck on the end to distract from the allegations of abuse. I don't doubt that he might have improved as a person and might regret this incident (or chapter) in his life, but my god has he gone about showing it in the wrong way.

So many excellent films (and House of Cards) ruined :'(
Gudrun wrote:

"How many times have I told you? Homosexuality is only to be used for revolutionary purposes!"

Image ImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImage
JonathanT88
Horny Jonathan of the Homosexual Intifada

First name: Jonathan (duh.)
Likes received: 786

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Jacketh » 30th October, 2017, 12:01 pm

Yep, the "this story has encouraged me to..." really has fucked him over.

I wonder if he'll come back from this.
Jacketh

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Unread postby Anonymous Boy » 30th October, 2017, 12:16 pm

Really disappointing. :(

It is very believable that alcohol played a big role in all of his interactions with Anthony, though (as it so often does in crimes like this). I think one enormous underlying problem is likely to be the fact that it is considered normal in our society — even expected — to use a poisonous drug that causes people to lose their inhibitions in social situations. I really hope that will change at some point. (Of course that doesn't take away from Kevin's personal responsibility — I would argue that his responsibility goes beyond not forcing himself on minors without their consent, and that it is immoral to put oneself in a situation where one's inhibitions are, or might become, suppressed to the extent that one would be capable of something like this.)

Alcohol can also definitely block memory formation, meaning it is not inconceivable that he truly doesn't remember.

The coming-out bit reads strangely and I can't really follow his logic, but I can believe that this is him trying to be more transparent. (If his publicist thought this was a good idea, he or she should probably be fired.)

He says he intends to examine his behaviour. I hope that this will lead to the conclusion that alcohol is a dumb drug and he shouldn't use it.

(I am obviously assuming that forcing himself on anyone is something he wouldn't do while sober. Naturally this assumption could be refuted by further reports. If anyone else has been victimised by this man, hopefully they will now be more likely to speak out.)

(Please don't take this post to be a defence of his actions. It is intended to be an attack on his actions. I'd simply like to draw attention to a major societal problem which is involved in a ridiculous amount of (often violent) crime and seems likely to have been involved in this one.)
Anonymous Boy
Owner/Administrator

First name: René
Likes received: 315

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby George » 30th October, 2017, 2:25 pm

This is honestly quite a shocking revelation and they way he's trying to cover up the big story with an even bigger one is really really shitty.

Its the equivalent of him strangling a man with piano wire only to come out and say "but guys did you know I play piano?". It damages perception of LGBT by outsiders, and that is hurtful. Not wishing to defend him, but the media hasn't helped either; the headlines "Spacey Apologises for Attempting to Sexually Assault 14 year old" sound even more pedophilic than they already do when you consider it was only 12 years between the two, not 46. Its disgusting all round, and I am just shocked and saddened. If he had come out himself, and said "I did this thing and it was bad", I think I would have more respect, but I still have very little.
Image Hi, I'm George. Never met Me before? Image
George
Diaper Rash

First name: George
Likes received: 180

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby KrisCross » 30th October, 2017, 8:11 pm

I really don't like media shitstorms like these. It's a very poorly conceived reaction to the accusation, but it shouldn't be all about that. The issue is how widespread sexual assault is and how often it goes under the radar, not 'Did Kevin Spacey intend to cover up one story with the other and is he a dickhead now?'. The only discussion worth having right now is how to prevent it from happening to others and how to support those who fell victim to it.

I am sorely disappointed in him. I immensely enjoyed his work and will likely continue to do so, but the man behind the artistry has fallen from his pedestal for me.
KrisCross
Belgian Daddy

Likes received: 430

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Team: Cheer Team

Unread postby TheBrunswickian » 1st November, 2017, 2:41 am

The way he addressed the claims he assaulted a 14-year-old and then jumped sideways like "oh and I'm gay" was just horrible. The way he skirted around the issue and suggested that this story going public has prompted him to come out effectively suggested that his sexuality and his alleged abuse are somehow connected. The fact Spacey is gay has nothing to do at all with the separate fact he allegedly assaulted a teenager over 30 years ago. Due to the nature of the case, we'll never know what happened, but personally I believe it - and Spacey didn't exactly deny it (citing alcohol, which is a little dodgy but ehhh). What he's done is draw a connection between homosexuality and pedophilia and sexual abuse, which has always been a connotation to LGBTI people no matter how hard we try and shake it.

Its such a disappointment. The situation was made worse by the fact he'd addressed his sexuality in the statement. If he'd just addressed the allegations against him, it wouldn't have blown up quite as much as it has. Coming out in the same statement basically poured fuel on the fire
House Cup 2016 - Team Westeros
House Cup 2017 - Team Lion King
Year Cup 2017/18 - The Far East

Shittiest Member 2018 - Amadeus

ImageImage
TheBrunswickian
Lazarus

First name: Jesse
Likes received: 598

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Tim. » 1st November, 2017, 9:10 am

I've been easy to set off all week, so this really annoyed me.
The deflection from the accusations, and the way he has just turned all the attention to himself is so disgustingly obvious. Really not doing good things to the perception of gay males. Enough homophobes already associate us with pedophilia.

Just to add there's also a new accusation of him been a creep to a teenager. http://bbc.in/2ilc2TU
Tim.
The Southern Ex-Moderator

Likes received: 202

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Hyacinth » 2nd November, 2017, 8:29 pm

This is not the end, girls. Another interview with a guy who claims to have been raped by Spacey.

You were a working child actor.
Of course I have a 24-year-old boyfriend and I’m going out to punk clubs. I’m lying to my parents about all of this. And I’m “cheating” on my cousin/boyfriend to go see Kevin Spacey. I’m very caught up in the drama, and it’s now early winter. So now I’m 15. He was in a different apartment, also on the Upper West Side, and I called him from a pay phone, like you used to do, and said, “I’m close by. Can I see you?” I had like 15 minutes before I had to meet my parents and some family friends for dinner.

He told me to come over, and I went to the apartment. And I thought we were going to kiss and tell each other we loved each other and I was going to go. But he wanted to have sex, and this time he wanted to fuck me, which had never happened to me before.

He said he wanted to top you?
He did not say. He just did. I guess he must have come up behind me and yanked down my baggy jeans, and he goes to fuck me and I’m like, “No, I don’t want to.” And he pushes hard, and grabs me, and starts shoving up against my asshole, and it hurts like a motherfucker. I again tell him no, and he tries again. I am strong enough, thank God, both somewhere in my brain and in my body, to get him off of me. I’m sturdy, thankfully. I throw him off of me and I run crying down the stairs and out into the street and then suck it all up and go have dinner.

Did he penetrate you?
No. I don’t think so. I know it hurt, so something went somewhere to the point where it hurt, but I remember feeling like I got him. I did not feel like I had been fucked.

After you talked in the park, when did you and Kevin first meet?
I called him on the phone the next day, and he told me how he was in love with me and wanted to see me. I went and saw him at an apartment he was renting on the Upper West Side. He had a black Labrador named Snake. He might’ve been walking that dog in Central Park when we bumped into him that night. We started a sexual relationship that first visit, which mostly involved me ****ing him.

Did he ever talk about his personal life?
There were pictures around his house of Jennifer Jason Leigh. I remember him talking about her as his girlfriend.

Did you know if he was sleeping with anyone else?
I assumed that he was sleeping with Jennifer Jason Leigh.

How did the sexual part start happening? Did you talk?
We talked a little bit, but it was more like, “You know why you’re here, I know why we’re here.” I don’t remember a lot of conversation. I remember a lot of physical activity.

And how did you feel after the first time with Kevin?
Dizzy.

What happened afterward?
I think we lay around and talked some. I was probably just there for a couple hours. I remember feeling like [I was] cheating, going back and forth between these two men.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/11/kevin-spacey-alleged-sexual-relationship.html
Hyacinth
Candlelight Supper Enthusiast

First name: Jan
Likes received: 40

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Jacketh » 2nd November, 2017, 8:40 pm

:err:

He was apparently really bad on the set of House of Cards too:

https://www.engadget.com/2017/11/02/new ... ards-crew/
Jacketh

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Unread postby Cobalt » 2nd November, 2017, 9:12 pm

I am extremely satisfied with the amount of visibility that sexual assault accusations have been receiving nowadays. Long gone are the times where Hollywood executives and stars get away with anything because that's just "part of the business." The fact that Weinstein received the amount of backlash that he did is a big step forward for victim advocacy and letting innocent people know that this is not okay, that they have a voice and can speak up about it even if someone has more power and influence than them.

That being said, this particular case with Anthony Rapp is particularly despicable. I don't care if Kevin Spacey was drunk, he had intentions going into it. He was 26. Anthony was 14. As a 23 year old man, the thought of preying on a 14 year old boy disgusts me, and it's clear that despite whatever repression Spacey may have been going through, what he did was predatory and intentional.

Coming out of the closet is a cheap, sad coverup to attempt enough buzz to excuse what he did. The fact that he apologized doesn't matter. He has a victim (likely MULTIPLE victims) who's had to live with that unfortunate experience and the memory of that for his entire adolescent and adult life. Anthony Rapp should be applauded for being honest and risking his own personal comfort for the sake of calling out what should be called out.

We've been seeing a kind of snowball effect with sexual assault accusations in Hollywood and it's about damn time that these people had a platform and a voice and a widely-spread source of support. Times are changing, it's 2017, and it's time to stop blaming victims and to place full criminal responsibility on sexual abusers and rapists.

Kevin Spacey should be ashamed of himself, and of every action he's done since this issue came into the public eye. Disappointment is not the word. I have lost all respect for a man I previously held in high regard as an aspiring actor and a student seeking influential role models for my craft. I'm disgusted.

So no, some headlines shouldn't be "Kevin Spacey comes out of the closet" with the Anthony Rapp assault as a sidenote. That's a god damn mess. So it's good that other victims are coming forward with their own stories.
Cobalt
Momderator

Likes received: 302

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Jacketh » 2nd November, 2017, 9:22 pm

Cobalt wrote:I am extremely satisfied with the amount of visibility that sexual assault accusations have been receiving nowadays. Long gone are the times where Hollywood executives and stars get away with anything because that's just "part of the business." The fact that Weinstein received the amount of backlash that he did is a big step forward for victim advocacy and letting innocent people know that this is not okay, that they have a voice and can speak up about it even if someone has more power and influence than them.

I agree. The deeply worrying thing is though with how much (and how quickly) these accusations have come out, it makes you wonder just how prominent it is, and just how much has gone on... and it took all these years for it to come out with the people who have been accused. I can guarantee there are still executives, actors, and producers out there right now shitting themselves and wondering if it will be them next and probably have a team of very scary people trying their best to make sure it isn't going to happen.
Jacketh

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Unread postby Togetik » 2nd November, 2017, 11:58 pm

I think it's obvious Spacey himself didn't write the canned media response, but it's kind of reprehensible he signed off on it and his publicists decided they were going to shoot this media thing to the side by dropping the "i'm gay" part as a distraction.

He's now "seeking treatment" which is something I don't understand, the wording on that statement implied, to me, that they were saying he's been very hurt by the reaction against his shitty attempt to distract from the actual crimes he's done, to the point he's seeking mental help- but that seems kind of absurd?
Togetik

Likes received: 95

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Sig » 3rd November, 2017, 11:58 pm

I'm surprised this is a surprise to anyone tbh, both the Spacey thing and the hollywood sexual assault in general. Now I'm not saying it's okay, but I thought it was common knowledge how perverted all of Hollywood is, you sleep with people even unwillingly to get ahead powerful actors/directors get away with all kinds of shit since if you report it you get blackballed.

I mean they literally gave an Oscar and a standing ovation to a child rapist who had to flee the country a few years (Roman Polanski) back and he's still in the academy and respected, the people in Hollywood by and large don't give a shit about these people and you see the stories about parents of young stars not allowing them to go to parties alone, think it was the actor who played Frodo, and there have been a fair amount of stories just talking about the pedophile and rape in general that is so prevalent in Hollywood.

For Spacey I seem to remember talking about it in chat a few years back, how there was rumors he would pick up 15+ boys and take them to his house for parties.

This does set gay rights and optics for LGBTQ back a fair amount. I'd also argue there isn't anything gay about what Spacey did, inviting children into a club, getting them drunk, inviting them home ect isn't the behavior of an average gay guy its one of a predator. I've got no doubt in my mind his plan was to rape the kid from the moment he engaged him when he was still sober and we can see from more stories that are coming out this wasn't a one time I got drunk thing it was a pattern of behaviors.
Sig
Sig4ourEcEenTriK

First name: Sigurd :P
Likes received: 9

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Team: Nerd Herd

Unread postby Sig » 4th November, 2017, 12:00 am

Also the whole mental health thing is an excuse to fade out for awhile, "recover" and then be accepted back into Hollywoods society, unless SPacey ends up in prison he'll be moving in the same circles doing the same thing in at most five years.
Sig
Sig4ourEcEenTriK

First name: Sigurd :P
Likes received: 9

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Team: Nerd Herd

Unread postby Woollyhoolly » 5th November, 2017, 8:17 am

Made you look

Trudeau's my daddy
Woollyhoolly
Classy

First name: Tim
Likes received: 160

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Unread postby Lightbringer » 11th November, 2017, 8:18 am

So, did anyone see the interview they did with Kevin Spacey's brother and recent allegations? He said Kevin is not acting in most of the movies, he IS a monster.

Its seems their father abused them in every way imaginable when they were children.

I also heard their father was a Nazi as well. Not sure how true that is, but quite believable. (Not a neo-Nazi, a literal supporter of 3rd Reich)
Lightbringer

First name: Lukas
Likes received: 20

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Tim the Great » 10th August, 2018, 5:24 pm

Yeah that’s pretty bad because he’s trying to draw attention away from the bad things he did by coming out he is gay. I can see why the lgbt community would be angry at this
Tim the Great

First name: Tim
Likes received: 1

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Recently active