Climate Change - How much does it matter to you?

A forum for respectful discussion & exchange of views on news, current affairs & thought-provoking topics; please read and be aware of the guidelines prior to posting.

Forum rules

Welcome to the News, Current Affairs & Debate subforum.

This forum is the place for intellectual discussions relating to news, current affairs, or philosophical & scientific debates. There are some guidelines that apply specifically to posts in this forum, of which you will be expected to have made yourself aware before participating. They are as follows:

• Intellectually stimulating topics only. If you can't have a deep discussion about something, it does not belong here.
  • If you're going to post, have something to say. When you make a new thread, write the initial post in a way that provides an introduction to the topic and invites further discussion. You could tell us how you feel and why, but always aim for constructive responses that further a discussion about the ideas involved, rather than a simple list of people's views. (Instead of asking "Are you a vegetarian?", discuss some of the arguments involved.) This guideline likewise applies for responses to topics.
  • Write using good English. That means full sentences with proper capitalisation, punctuation, spelling and grammar. No one is perfect, though; this is not an invitation to criticise others for minor mistakes.
  • Be nice. This is a forum for rational discourse, not flame wars. No one is always right. Be respectful of other people's views and accept that we are all entitled to our own.

These guidelines will be enforced by the moderators based on their best judgement, and anyone who does not take them seriously will lose the privilege of posting here. Spammers will be banned from the entire forum.

Climate Change - How much does it matter to you?

Unread postby Jacketh » 4th November, 2017, 10:58 pm

A US report today by government agencies found that global warming is more than 90% manmade. Most people accept this, but there is a surprising amount of people who accept that global warming is a thing, but argue that it is a natural phenomenon.

"A comprehensive review by 13 US federal agencies concludes that evidence of global warming is stronger than ever and that more than 90% of it has been caused by humans.

The conclusion contradicts a favorite talking point of senior members of the Trump administration.

A 477-page report released on Friday said it was “extremely likely” – meaning with 95 to 100% certainty – that global warming is manmade, mostly from carbon dioxide through the burning of coal, oil and natural gas.

The energy secretary, Rick Perry, and Environmental Protection Agency chief, Scott Pruitt, have said carbon dioxide is not the primary contributor to global warming.

Despite fears by some scientists and environmental advocates, David Fahey of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (Noaa) and several authors said there was no political interference or censoring. It is the most comprehensive summary of climate science since 2013, showing a warming, worsening world."

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... icts-trump

We see more and more evidence each year of the impact global warming is having on us. So I wonder - how much does it matter to you? Have you taken any steps personally? I know, for example, a lot of people who have gone vegan and argue one of the key reasons is because of global warming. Or, perhaps you're of the few who do believe it is natural and that we're past the point of no return.
Jacketh

Likes received: 919

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Re: Climate Change - How much does it matter to you?

Unread postby CRUSTY SEA MILF » 4th November, 2017, 11:22 pm

I guess it matters a lot to me, since I like places like parks, beaches, and the mountains. Personally, I try and turn things like the lights off when I'm not using them, recycle, and pick up trash when its blowing around on the ground. Additionally, unless anyone enjoys the idea of their house being burned by a wildfire, a drought creating famine, or seeing higher patterns and longer seasons of deadly storms: hurricanes, tornados, tsunamis, droughts, blizzards, there's something in it for all of us to care, since no matter where you live there are natural (and increasingly constant and unnatural) disasters. Agriculture (livestock primarily) and burning of fossil fuels produces lots of greenhouse gases like methane and carbon dioxide. There's a lot of ways to combat both, in America, electric cars that run on wind, batteries, and solar power are becoming increasingly popular for dealing with ff carbon issues. Additionally, a person in my state is also working on a car that runs on water, and releases mostly water vapor instead of carcinogens and other crap. For agriculture, I think that government and 'green' companies should subsidize farmers in order to help them create a more green business. Managing forests and replanting effectively, rotating crop types annually, improving irrigation systems, and buying from local farms are all great ways to get involved. Lately, aquaponics have really become popular in my area, this involves growing plants and fish together in a sort of mini ecosystem. The plants help grow algae, filter water, and create oxygen and are fertilized by the nitrogen and nutrient rich waste from the fish. The fish, in turn, release carbon dioxide. In the end, a lot of vegetables and some fruits can be efficiently grown this way (heres a link if you wanna learn more: https://www.theaquaponicsource.com/what-is-aquaponics/ ). Something else to consider, is that the Earth itself naturally tries to adapt to its components, and there are some really awesome possibilities in the future. Potentially, trees and plants could become far more efficient in eliminating carbon from the atmosphere, and some bacteria use carbon for sustenance. Nature often easily adapts to contaminants, the proof is in fields such as how bacteria become immune to antibiotics, how (pests especially) can become immune to pesticides, et cetera. Ultimately, while it's a lot to ask for everyone to go completely green and Earth friendly, I think it would only take a little work on the parts of citizens (who put the practices in place), and governments (who help subsidize and incentivize sustainable projects) to keep the Earth a relatively happy place for several thousand years (hopefully). Whether you like to smoke the green (this is a weed joke, children) or make some green ($) do the right thing and don't plunge us into an apocalypse :D

ImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImage
CRUSTY SEA MILF wrote:You the right boob to my left, the peanut butter to my jelly, the Donald to my Melania, the Trisha Paytas to my 5 pounds of salami
CRUSTY SEA MILF
Egregious Infundibular

First name: Brennan/wolbre4
Likes received: 422

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Scookie_63 » 5th November, 2017, 1:05 am

Not that I know a lot about climate change but I know it is a big issue. We here in Australia are shutting down coal plants and the state of South Australia is powered by renewable resources I believe. I was taught all about the water cycle and co2 effects in Primary school. Its really important that we put rubbish in the right bins, reduce - reuse - recycle, and save water and electricity in many ways we can. We need to keep the earth healthy for all future generations.

Its important we do something and make sure we are being safe and making the planet a safe and happy and clean place to live.
Scookie_63

First name: Sebastian
Likes received: 12

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Fadi » 5th November, 2017, 1:06 am

Personally I think that what would affect me is both the weather change and the view of the environment, not only are endangering animals and others but we are also endangering outselves without even realizing it.

For exemple if I speak of weather pollution like an excessive amount of CO2 causes an increase in the temperature in the environment and even if the temperature slightly starts going up everything could change, it can takes 1C for snow to start melting by exemple.

As for the view of environment I’d like to think we are destroying the beauty and purity the Earth used to give and show us, many areas have changed and looked horrible because of climate change such as an excessive anount of polluted fog that gives the air a grayish-orange tint to the air of the city which can provide sickness to the lungs by exemple.

As for animal and human danfer climate changer also bringd an increase in natural disasters mostly being tornadoes and storms and that has brought appearances of them in many unexpexted areas (plz 3 hurricanes attacking USA i don’t believe a sec it can’t be related to climate change) or even tornadoes that have caused rains of spiders in Brazil or Frogs or Fish when this is an extremely rate occurance but suddenly becomes more and more common in the coming years?

Personally I have participated with friends in cleaning streats and we have suggested recycle bins in school (even tho no one really respects it), I don’t throw anything in the streets and I try to buy eco friendly products whenever I can!
Odd Squad Image Odd Squad
Fadi
Compulsive Hugger

First name: Fady
Likes received: 75

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Team: Odd Squad

Unread postby George » 5th November, 2017, 3:22 am

Global warming is huge and the fact we're doing next to nothing about it immediately is hugely fucking terrifying

the whole "ban X by 2040" "reduce Z by 2025" ITS NOT FAST ENOUGH WE'RE GOING UNDERWATER
Image Hi, I'm George. Never met Me before? Image
George
Diaper Rash

First name: George
Likes received: 180

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Dolly » 5th November, 2017, 10:56 am

Any changes made to combat climate change would not affect me and likely not any children I may have. Thus, I do not see climate change as an "OMG THIS IS SO SCARY AND HORRIFIC!!!!!" issue. I would like to add that virtually nothing one does can help change the path we are on. Throwing your juice bottles into the recycling bin and calling it a day means absolutely nothing.

If one wants to make any sort of difference in the impact on our planet, he or she would have to abandon consumerism and live a non-materialistic lifestyle. This would mean refusing to purchase factory-made products, farming one's own food, using one's fecal matter as compost, walking or biking, and handcrafting any necessities.

To add, I do not think that the government should place any major restrictions to combat climate change because the Western economy is at stake. A bunch of Western nations putting caps on carbon dioxide emissions would lead to economic suicide on the global stage. India and China can pretend to be progressive and say that they are imposing measures to combat global warming, but they are all talk and no action.
Dolly
hotty & country singer

Likes received: 855

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Unread postby Jacketh » 5th November, 2017, 12:18 pm

Pity wrote:Any changes made to combat climate change would not affect me and likely not any children I may have.

There is a lot of evidence coming out and a discussion that that Hurricanes are becoming more frequent, and particularly more worse, because of global warming. You live in a state that could be impacted pretty badly by hurricanes, particularly if they continue to grow in strength, no?

http://time.com/4931586/irma-hurricane- ... te-change/
Jacketh

Likes received: 919

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Unread postby ConnorM » 5th November, 2017, 1:48 pm

Pity wrote:Any changes made to combat climate change would not affect me and likely not any children I may have. Thus, I do not see climate change as an "OMG THIS IS SO SCARY AND HORRIFIC!!!!!" issue. I would like to add that virtually nothing one does can help change the path we are on. Throwing your juice bottles into the recycling bin and calling it a day means absolutely nothing.

If one wants to make any sort of difference in the impact on our planet, he or she would have to abandon consumerism and live a non-materialistic lifestyle. This would mean refusing to purchase factory-made products, farming one's own food, using one's fecal matter as compost, walking or biking, and handcrafting any necessities.

I believe that this is a false equivalency. To say that one person recycling means "absolutely nothing" isn't really true. While it is certainly the case that no singular glass bottle is going to be "the straw that broke the camel's back", when one billion people get into the habit of recycling usable material, those habits are meaningful. Human interaction on a macro level requires individual decisions on a personal level, repeated ad infinitum.
As to the second paragraph, to make a meaningful impact on the environment simply requires people to consume less goods, especially wasteful goods. Not eating fresh fruit when its out of season, for instance, will greatly reduce air shipping demand between the northern & southern hemispheres, thus aiding in the reduction of greenhouse emissions. Further, human fecal matter is pretty terrible as a compost, as it both increases by far the likelihood of disease as well as that it needs processing in order to be an effective fertilizer. Raw sewage, unless its purely from herbivores, cannot be used as an effective fertilizer. Hence why the hay from my chicken coop needs to be composted for months before its ready to go on the farm, and why I don't use human feces in compost. You have to treat sewage, especially that of omnivores or carnivores, in order to effectively use it as a fertilizer.
And again, this doesn't have to be an "all or nothing" deal. I'm all in favor of everyone else who has the land to start gardening and canning. It's a fantastic source of nutrition, and it teaches responsibility to people. We waste so much good arable land every year as lawn that it almost makes me want to cry. So no, you don't have to grow all of your food in order to make a difference, but if two and a half billion people on this planet grew, say, their own tomatoes and vegetable greens instead of buying them, it would notably reduce many of the pressures on the world.

Now, my last point is a plea - for God's sake, if you want to help the environment don't buy "organic"! "Organic" farming uses two to four times the farmland, more fertilizer (and the fertilizer is often obtained by strip-mining guano deposits, rather than being formed from natural gas and air, as artificial fertilizer is made) and far more water and pesticides as opposed to conventional farming, without any distinguishable difference either in chemical composition or in double-blind taste testing.
ConnorM
Sir Conor the Incompetent

Likes received: 106

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Samppapa » 7th November, 2017, 12:55 pm

Now we are talking about things that are really meaningful for me. I am very concerned about ecological issues and climate change is one huge issue. As a personal level I have to unfortunately say that we are probably not going to be able to slow climate change down. I hope so badly that I am wrong. The Paris Agreement was great. It showed that there is some will to make a change for better but nothing has happened. This year is going to be again warmer than last year and the amounts of greenhouse gases emitted to the atmosphere are higher than ever.

Here in Finland the climate change has already made winters warmer and shorter. It dramatically changes our eco-system. All species that are used to chilly climate are moving more and more north (or are dying out) and new species from south take their place. These new species have no enemies in our eco-system and they are slowly taking over our nature. New kinds of bacteria and pests are also found every year. Storms are also in here stronger and more frequent than before. This year also occured that it rained so much in August and September that farmers couldn't harvest and our domestic production was very low. But yeah... I could continue this list on and on. The point is that these are very serious problems. Living on this planet will be very tough very soon.

Pity wrote:Any changes made to combat climate change would not affect me and likely not any children I may have.

I wouldn't really say so. We and our children will face these problems. Famine, drought, diseases, storms etc will affect us all. It already affects in Europe as one of the biggest reasons for this huge refugee wave is drought.

Pity wrote:Throwing your juice bottles into the recycling bin and calling it a day means absolutely nothing.

This is not true. Recycling is very effective way to reduce the amount of raw materials and energy needed to produce new products. Did you know that recycling an aluminum can once saves up to 69% energy needed to produce a new can compared to producing it from new raw material? It also keeps our environment cleaner. Microplastic, for instance, is a big problem nowadays.

Pity wrote:To add, I do not think that the government should place any major restrictions to combat climate change because the Western economy is at stake. A bunch of Western nations putting caps on carbon dioxide emissions would lead to economic suicide on the global stage. India and China can pretend to be progressive and say that they are imposing measures to combat global warming, but they are all talk and no action.

I, personally, don't think that we can afford to say that economical issues are more important than environmental issues. We can't put price on our planet. We all have to make a change for better, give up on oil and coal power and start recycling.

It is also possible to make a bisnes of renewable energy and green products. Green products and green design are, at least in Finland, on high demand nowadays. In Norway it is very popular to own an electric car since they have to pay less taxes of them. They can also park for free, drive on bus lanes during traffic jams and so on. In other words, the government of Norway has made it a very good investment to go green so electric car bisnes is booming there. The next step they are planning is to give up on private cars in the centre of Oslo and I've heard that in some German cities they have the same idea. This is the way we should do it!

When it comes to myself, I recycle, I don't own a car and I'm not planning to get one, I try to save electricity and water and I don't buy unnecessary items. So, I don't just go shopping for fun and buy lots of nice stuff. But I admit that I could do a lot more.
Greetings from Finland!
Samppapa

First name: Samu
Likes received: 3

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Wayde » 9th November, 2017, 9:22 am

Jacketh wrote:

There is a lot of evidence coming out and a discussion that that Hurricanes are becoming more frequent, and particularly more worse, because of global warming. You live in a state that could be impacted pretty badly by hurricanes, particularly if they continue to grow in strength, no?

http://time.com/4931586/irma-hurricane- ... te-change/

I think he's saying that nothing we do to combat climate change now will be visible for generations. No matter what we do, we won't be around to see any positive effects it might have. So, seeing as nothing we do would work fast enough for us to notice a change, Pity doesn't see reason for us to freak out. Its too late for us.

Also, just curious, haven't scientists said that we're still technically in the end of an ice age? I'm not sure if thats true, but if it is, it seems like global warming would happen with or without us, because the ice age would still be ending.
Wayde
A Witty User Title™

First name: Wayde
Likes received: 31

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Kaspar » 9th November, 2017, 9:27 am

Wayde wrote:[...]
Also, just curious, haven't scientists said that we're still technically in the end of an ice age? I'm not sure if thats true, but if it is, it seems like global warming would happen with or without us, because the ice age would still be ending.

Yes, you're actually right, we're currently in the interglacial period.
Proudly, the Captain of team Spirited Away
House Cup 2017

ImageImage
ImageImage
Kaspar
Lochlan's cat enthusiast

First name: Kacper
Likes received: 703

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Tim the Great » 10th August, 2018, 10:31 pm

I believe that we should take care of our planet, because right now it’s the only one we have. I also don’t think it’s fair that the old get to decide what our future is like.
Tim the Great

First name: Tim
Likes received: 1

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Recently active