Older Music Appreciation Thread

Off-topic posts go in here; this forum is only loosely moderated.

Older Music Appreciation Thread

Unread postby Jacketh » 20th October, 2014, 10:26 am

This may or may not work. Just depends how many of you out there appreciate slightly older music. I'm talking before the 90s or so.

I'm quite a funny one really, I'm pretty ''gay'' when it comes to music from the current era. I enjoy most boybands. I even waited 8 hours surrouned by thousands of fangirls to see The Wanted at Hyde Park. How incredibly sad. :D

That said, I enjoy tons of old music and it somewhat saddens me if some people has no appreciation what so ever for it. I'd say the majority of the music on my iTunes is 80s or previous. Music can somewhat define an era and that is one of the reasons I find older music so interesting. Take this picture of Carnarby Street in London in the 60s.

You just get 'The Beates' feel by just looking at it. The whole psychedelic, vibrant, 'hippee culture' that was surrounding a lot of places at the time. The same was of course going on in America at the time with the Summer of Love.

Anyhow, some of the older music I really do enjoy listening to are Simon and Garfunkel, The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd, The Clash, John Denver, Pet Shop Boys, Kate Bush, Madonna, Stevie Wonder, Phil Collins and, of course, Rod Stewart. :D

These two songs are two of my favourites of all time.

Anyone else out there? :D
Jacketh

Likes received: 918

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier II
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Re: Older Music Appreciation Thread

Unread postby Russell » 20th October, 2014, 10:33 am

I love old music. I often go to garage sales and buy old records and play them when I'm by myself at my house.

Talking heads, Fleetwood Mac, Meatloaf, Kenny Rogers, Elton John, Bon Jovi, Frank Sinatra, Rod Stewart, Tanya Tucker, Van Morrison, et al.
(there are literally too many to list)
Last edited by Russell on 24th October, 2014, 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not arrogant. I'm just better than you.
--------
Death is lighter than a feather; duty heavier than a mountain.
Russell
Heart of a Chilf, Soul of a Dragon

First name: Spaceman
Likes received: 45

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier II
Progress to next tier:
4 / 7

Unread postby SWEDISHlobster » 20th October, 2014, 10:57 am

This album is what gets me through the day
Snapchat: pootis213 Kik: swedishlobster
SWEDISHlobster

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby JonathanT88 » 20th October, 2014, 11:02 am

Pink Floyd are probably my favourite band, closely followed by Led Zeppelin.

I just love everything about the Dark Side of the Moon (especially the ingenious and ever so slightly ambiguous lyrics) , and all of their other more conceptual albums (Wish You Were Here, The Wall, Animals) are favourites aswell.
Gudrun wrote:

"How many times have I told you? Homosexuality is only to be used for revolutionary purposes!"

Image ImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImage
JonathanT88
Horny Jonathan of the Homosexual Intifada

First name: Jonathan (duh.)
Likes received: 786

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Floyd » 20th October, 2014, 1:19 pm

JonathanT88 wrote:Pink Floyd are probably my favourite band, closely followed by Led Zeppelin.

I just love everything about the Dark Side of the Moon (especially the ingenious and ever so slightly ambiguous lyrics) , and all of their other more conceptual albums (Wish You Were Here, The Wall, Animals) are favourites aswell.

It would not be am unserstament to call Dark Side of the Moon the most complete rock album that has ever been produced. Adding to the albums you've mentioned, Meddle is such an underated album.

I think you need look no further than my signature to see what my music taste is :P

Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Dire Straits, Queen, ELP, the Beatles, Billy Joel, Bob Dylan, King Crimson, Genesis, the Rolling Stones, The Doors, Jethro Tull, Yes, Hendrix,Bowie, Styx...

I could say so much more ^.^
Glad to see I am not the only one.
ImageImage
Floyd
Earth Kingdom Vice Captain

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Jacketh » 20th October, 2014, 6:54 pm

Jeez. How did I forget Queen, Elton John and Billy Joel from my first post. So many legends.

- It makes you wonder, who from the current era, say 15 years, will be classed as a 'legend' in 20/30 years time?
Jacketh

:
Tier II
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby bennett999 » 20th October, 2014, 7:10 pm

I recommend the Rock Of Ages musical. The songs that the cast sung were the biggest 80s Rock songs like: Jukebox Hero, Here I go again, Pour Some Sugar On Me, I Wanna Rock, Don't Stop Believing and many more.
Gay Ninja Assassins Incorporated, this is Bennett speaking. Who would you like offed today?
bennett999

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Callum » 20th October, 2014, 7:19 pm

Most of the stuff I listen to is older music, my iTunes is mostly 60's, 70's and 80's. Queen, Phil Collins, The Police, The Beatles, Joy Division, Roxy Music, Pink Floyd, The Jam etc. The music back then is way better than today's stuff I think.

Here's some songs I've been listening to recently.

Last edited by Callum on 20th October, 2014, 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Callum
We Could Be Heroes

First name: Callum

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Jacketh » 20th October, 2014, 7:24 pm

I just knew seeing you post that you would at least say The Beatles. What scouser wouldn't? :D
Jacketh

:
Tier II
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Callum » 20th October, 2014, 7:30 pm

Jacketh wrote:I just knew seeing you post that you would at least say The Beatles. What scouser wouldn't? :D

It's a requirement for us scousers. :lol:
Callum
We Could Be Heroes

First name: Callum

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Sturgis » 20th October, 2014, 9:21 pm

My top 2 albums from before the 1990s:

IMO, the album is MJ's best.

I should listen to some of the Beatles' albums.

Jacketh wrote:Jeez. How did I forget Queen, Elton John and Billy Joel from my first post. So many legends.

- It makes you wonder, who from the current era, say 15 years, will be classed as a 'legend' in 20/30 years time?

For mainstream legends, I'd say Kanye West, Beyonce, and maybe Taylor Swift. There will be plenty of obscure legends that will be mentioned on /mu/ and Pitchfork, but for mainstream legends, they are the only artists I can think of.
Sturgis
Address me as: Jimmy Neutron or JAKEPOP

Likes received: 34

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Brockisdead » 20th October, 2014, 10:06 pm

N.I.B has one of the coolest Sabbath basslines
"Pretentious Quote" -Some Faggot

Brockisdead
Self Proclaimed Edge Expert or Some Shit

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby utib » 20th October, 2014, 11:41 pm

This was very important back in the day

utib
.:sad_girl_69:.

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Hnngh » 21st October, 2014, 12:08 am

utib wrote:This was very important back in the day

omfg
Come wallow in my sorrow
Breathe your air into my lungs
What hides in my shadow?
My worst fear is real life
Hnngh
Formally known as Poop

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Canadianborn » 21st October, 2014, 3:16 am

Any further attempt to derail this thread will result in a week long ban. I know it's located in the Anything Goes subforum, but I'm not in the mood to deal with immaturity tonight. If you have problems with this, feel free to take it up with my inbox.

Continue with your discussion boys.

Frank Sinatra's rendition of Fly Me To the Moon
Canadianborn

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby utib » 21st October, 2014, 3:59 am

I didn't post pop tho :/

This was made in 1987, is that old enough? Or should this thread be renamed "Dad Rock" so no one posts bannable material?
utib
.:sad_girl_69:.

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Canadianborn » 21st October, 2014, 4:03 am

OP says anything before 90's. If he wants to clarify on specifics he can. That's up to him.
Canadianborn

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby mattyk » 21st October, 2014, 5:38 am

Don't forget these guys... formed in 1983 and one of the most unduring rock bands of all time :awesome:

Ode to my favourite GTFer (you know who you are :D )

And an absolute CLASSIC!
Last edited by mattyk on 21st October, 2014, 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
One can pay back the loan of gold,
but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind.
- Malaysian proverb

Image ImageImage

ImageImageImage
mattyk
House Cup Host & Judge

First name: Matty
Likes received: 40

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Sturgis » 21st October, 2014, 6:43 am

I'm not a big fan of Sinatra's rendition of "Fly Me To The Moon," but I do love this rendition:

Sturgis
Address me as: Jimmy Neutron or JAKEPOP

Likes received: 34

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Floyd » 21st October, 2014, 12:19 pm

I could probably post anything but I'll plug these guys, who are really underrated.
Keith Emerson is probably the best rock keyboardist who has ever lived. His use of synths and piano, along with the vocal, bass and guitar work of Greg Lake is just great. They kinda flitted between catchy acoustic songs and huge prog behemoths.
Emerson, Lake and Palmer. They sound like a law firm.
So pretentious :lol:

It's worth listening to the whole thing, but here's the central part of the song, if that's even possible among the 30 minutes. :rofl2:

One of their simplest songs...

Then there's some of my favourite songs (ignoring Pink Floyd and the more obvious Billy Joel, Zeppelin songs, etc.):

(An underrated Zeppelin song)

ImageImage
Floyd
Earth Kingdom Vice Captain

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Next

Recently active