New Moderator Confirmation Poll - Woollyhoolly

Off-topic posts go in here; this forum is only loosely moderated.

Do you support the confirmation of Temi (Woollyhoolly) as a moderator?

Poll ended at 12th January, 2018, 12:55 pm

Yes
28
80%
No
7
20%
 
Total votes : 35

New Moderator Confirmation Poll - Woollyhoolly

Unread postby Kaspar » 7th January, 2018, 12:55 pm

We collectively decided as the staff, that due to the recent events, the team needs a bit of a reshuffling. The situation is precisely described in Jon's thread here, so please read this first.

This thread will be a discussion thread for only Temi's (Woollyhoolly) candidacy for moderatorship.
A person that we consider trustworthy and hardworking, Temi together with Sokol seem like a perfect new addition to the staff. Yes, they are quite new, yes, they haven't seen years of GTFs history, but in our view this doesn't make them any less relevant. We're going through a period of big generational shift on GTF, and the threads like "Oldfags vs Newfags" emerging just prove this point.
If staff members are people that the new users know, see around being active and friendly - they will be respected. These are the great qualities of both Temi and Sokol that other moderators might just simply lack. We've been working with them already for months as the CAs - and the way they cared about their job just ensures us that promoting them will be a good choice.
I can imagine the main argument against them might be their experience on GTF. I can say from my experience though, having been a CA for 5 months and a Moderator for another 4 while I'm still waiting for my one year on GTF anniversary, that getting into the team quite fast does not mean they will perform badly. The very same concerns surfaced upon my Mod Confirmation Poll and they turned out to be meaningless. Because in fact, it might very well be the opposite - as they will bring fresh enthusiasm, while being likeable figures in the community, known by the older, loved and respected by the new.

Go ahead and vote in this poll, if you choose to say NO, please voice your opinions as to why do you think so. Thank you all for voting and contributing to the fake impression of democracy behind mod dictatorship way GTF develops! :heart:

The poll will run for approximately 5 days, until midnight on Saturday 12th January GMT!
Proudly, the Captain of team Spirited Away
House Cup 2017



ImageImage
ImageImage
User avatar
Kaspar
Lochlan's cat enthusiast
 
First name: Kacper
Posts: 2624
Likes received: 703
Joined: 18th January, 2017, 5:50 pm
Location: Northern Poland almost by the sea ey
Country: Poland (pl)

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Re: New Moderator Confirmation Poll - Woollyhoolly

Unread postby Dolly » 7th January, 2018, 1:27 pm

Yes. He is pretty active and has created an enjoyable experience on the forum for me and others. However, Temi, please be more active in terms of programming and forum postings. Good luck! :)

Image
Image
User avatar
Dolly
hotty & country singer
 
Posts: 3728
Likes received: 855
Joined: 19th July, 2015, 11:50 pm
Location: Tennesee
Country: United States (us)

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Re: New Moderator Confirmation Poll - Woollyhoolly

Unread postby George » 7th January, 2018, 1:32 pm

I will be posting this response, word-for-word on each thread, for clarification.

Upon reflection and consideration, I cannot and will not (and have not) voted in favour of the confirmation of either Temi or Sokol on a variety of grounds, stemming from both personal, and logistical. I will lay them out below, in 3 points.

1) I cannot vote "Yes" for Sokol, on the grounds of his activity. Mods need to be at the forefront of our community, and you whilst have have taken the initiative to post a lot, and have run things such as "Game Night" in my absence, you have had to stop running Game Night for personal reasons stemming around your activity. You disappear from Discord for days at least at a time. This, whilst a criticism, is understandable, of course, as you are a student. But if you accept you cannot be as active as we need, I simply cannot support that as a moderator candidate, because you will just become obscure. Moreover, with Temi, whilst I am more inclined to vote yes on this matter, I simply feel that you are not present enough on the forum, but I cannot hardly blame you for that. None the less, I do not feel either candidates are able to be as visible as some other staff, especially Sokol.

2) Moreover, I worry about bureaucracy: This will now give us 6 moderators. At this moment in time, and as we have seen in recent months (particularly with Year Cup, and other events), the number of moderators has been a hindrance to the ability for the forum to churn out things effectively, as moderators are either inactive for periods (see above), or simply largening the debate. I worry that the addition of 2 more mods (to an effective 6, the most mods we have ever had whilst I have been active on GTF) will simply make this process worse.

3) Thirdly I turn to staff turnover: we have had 2 high-profile moderators been appointed and resigned with only roughly 6 months each in the post, and countless Community Ambassadors equally. I worry that the appointment of two relatively-new users risks this high-turnover continuing, and I do not want us to have to keep appointing mods in months time because one of the new two have resigned for whatever reason, or simply fall out of activity on GTF (as many of the new users have). This will be detrimental for the reasons listed above.

Overall, I feel that the current number of moderators is a perfectly fine choice, with 1 moderator in each major time zone. We are staffed effectively, and at the right number to carry out decisions succinctly, and to add two more people, who I feel personally have not had the time necessarily to demonstrate the dedication that the other staff have shown to the forum prior to appointment, is detrimental. GTF does not need more mods at this time, it needs to close the mod team, build a staff image, and work with that image effectively as it has in recent years. To appoint more staff now would simply undo months of hard work.
Image
Image Hi, I'm George. Never met Me before? Image
User avatar
George
Diaper Rash
 
First name: George
Posts: 2147
Likes received: 180
Joined: 11th December, 2012, 11:56 am
Location: Essex
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Re: New Moderator Confirmation Poll - Woollyhoolly

Unread postby JonathanT88 » 7th January, 2018, 2:07 pm

George wrote:I will be posting this response, word-for-word on each thread, for clarification.

Upon reflection and consideration, I cannot and will not (and have not) voted in favour of the confirmation of either Temi or Sokol on a variety of grounds, stemming from both personal, and logistical. I will lay them out below, in 3 points.


And for my riveting, action-packed response please click here.
Gudrun wrote:

"How many times have I told you? Homosexuality is only to be used for revolutionary purposes!"

Image ImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
JonathanT88
Horny Jonathan of the Homosexual Intifada
 
First name: Jonathan (duh.)
Posts: 5641
Likes received: 786
Joined: 1st June, 2013, 1:19 pm
Location: A Berlin sex dungeon
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Re: New Moderator Confirmation Poll - Woollyhoolly

Unread postby Flower » 7th January, 2018, 2:16 pm

Everyone deserves to be a part of someting special and I support that. I believe that he'll be a good moderator.
Image
A star is a star, it doesn’t matter where in the sky I shine.
User avatar
Flower
Member
 
Posts: 71
Likes received: 10
Joined: 1st January, 2018, 7:40 pm
Country: Turkey (tr)

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Re: New Moderator Confirmation Poll - Woollyhoolly

Unread postby Fadi » 7th January, 2018, 2:52 pm

Temi is a very active GTFer so far, even if for 10min he's there every day, watching over us but also participating and all whilst respecting the rules, I think he deserves a change to prove himself to be capable to take this responsibility :)
Odd Squad Image Odd Squad
User avatar
Fadi
Compulsive Hugger
 
First name: Fady
Posts: 263
Likes received: 75
Joined: 25th January, 2017, 10:11 am
Location: On Earth

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Team: Odd Squad

Re: New Moderator Confirmation Poll - Woollyhoolly

Unread postby Vortex » 7th January, 2018, 3:05 pm

he's a bro, ofc
ImageImageImage

Ebsy wrote:Leave it to losers on Twitter to complain about being pandered to. You're supposed to complain when someone panders to others, not to you.
[4:46 AM] Saint Drogo: Also, you've got a strangely appealing asshole. I'll give you that much.
[6:03 AM] Pity: Omg... stop making me sound like a racist idiot
[4:51 AM] Scherzy: jerk off to clinton in the safety of your own bedroom luv
[2:56 PM] Saint Drogo: Literally let me use my cock as a paintbrush and my unborn children as paint.
User avatar
Vortex
Daddysir
 
First name: Da'Neil Boxley
Posts: 9075
Likes received: 320
Joined: 28th August, 2008, 2:43 pm
Location: Kentucky
Country: United States (us)

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Re: New Moderator Confirmation Poll - Woollyhoolly

Unread postby CRUSTY SEA MILF » 7th January, 2018, 3:13 pm

Flower wrote:Everyone deserves to be a part of someting special and I support that. I believe that he'll be a good moderator.

This just doesn't really make sense to me. Being a part of a welcoming community is special enough for me, making someone Mod on the grounds that everyone deserves to feel what it is like is not particularly sound. Why not just draw a name out of a hat and make them a mod. While they are both very hardworking and I'm sure will make a good mod, I don't think that because everyone deserves a chance is why he should be elevated.
Image

ImageImageImageImage

Image
ImageImageImageImage
CRUSTY SEA MILF wrote:You the right boob to my left, the peanut butter to my jelly, the Donald to my Melania, the Trisha Paytas to my 5 pounds of salami
User avatar
CRUSTY SEA MILF
Egregious Infundibular
 
First name: Brennan/wolbre4
Posts: 1734
Likes received: 422
Joined: 1st November, 2017, 7:04 pm
Location: Probably Kevin's DMs / Minnesota
Country: United States (us)

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Re: New Moderator Confirmation Poll - Woollyhoolly

Unread postby JonathanT88 » 7th January, 2018, 3:15 pm

wolbre04 wrote:
Flower wrote:Everyone deserves to be a part of someting special and I support that. I believe that he'll be a good moderator.

This just doesn't really make sense to me. Being a part of a welcoming community is special enough for me, making someone Mod on the grounds that everyone deserves to feel what it is like is not particularly sound. Why not just draw a name out of a hat and make them a mod. While they are both very hardworking and I'm sure will make a good mod, I don't think that because everyone deserves a chance is why he should be elevated.


I agree, but I've outlined a wide variety of reasons why i think both should be a mod in both my initial post, and my response to George.

Might it not be more productive to attack those (in my inbox, in this thread, wherever) than the opinions of a total newbie?
Gudrun wrote:

"How many times have I told you? Homosexuality is only to be used for revolutionary purposes!"

Image ImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
JonathanT88
Horny Jonathan of the Homosexual Intifada
 
First name: Jonathan (duh.)
Posts: 5641
Likes received: 786
Joined: 1st June, 2013, 1:19 pm
Location: A Berlin sex dungeon
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Re: New Moderator Confirmation Poll - Woollyhoolly

Unread postby CRUSTY SEA MILF » 7th January, 2018, 3:21 pm

I'm voting yes with Temi for a few reasons:
1. Activity: Honestly I feel like several other jobs have been delegated/passed along to him and he has taken them up well and done a good job of managing his time and STILL maintaining a forum presence. Even during holidays, he was always on at least once a day, even if it was only briefly. During this sometimes brief period, he was stellar in communicating issues via pms, answering questions, and directing me as to who I should communicate with. This speaks bounds to me and I don't hesitate in my vote. I don't think there is a better candidate right now for moderator.
2. Community Relationships: In the 2 and a half months I've been here, I have known Temi for most, if not all of my stay here. He is easily approachable, friendly, humorous, and is a just, but not overbearing person. He used his power effectively, not abusively, and really seems to have a "One for All" mentality. He seems to have few, if any, qualms with people and doesn't give you the runaround, he is straightforward and loyal to the community. He ran several successful game nights, and I think he deserves a thanks from the community for picking up others' work.
3. Finally, Personality/Character: Temi is very responsible and mature, while just the sound of younger mods than me sends a shiver through my spine (mostly due to the lack of emotional development and critical thinking skills), Temi has clearly demonstrated that he can make appropriate, well thought out decisions, and knows how to follow through on commitments.

My only, half-criticism of Temi is that
He loves having fun: While this isn't inherently bad, I occasionally feel as if something could go too far in the idea of fun, and might amount in small bits of trouble or conflict, but nothing major. Again, I only included this so I have at least something on both sides of the table to say about Temi.
Image

ImageImageImageImage

Image
ImageImageImageImage
CRUSTY SEA MILF wrote:You the right boob to my left, the peanut butter to my jelly, the Donald to my Melania, the Trisha Paytas to my 5 pounds of salami
User avatar
CRUSTY SEA MILF
Egregious Infundibular
 
First name: Brennan/wolbre4
Posts: 1734
Likes received: 422
Joined: 1st November, 2017, 7:04 pm
Location: Probably Kevin's DMs / Minnesota
Country: United States (us)

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Re: New Moderator Confirmation Poll - Woollyhoolly

Unread postby CRUSTY SEA MILF » 7th January, 2018, 3:23 pm

JonathanT88 wrote:
wolbre04 wrote:
Flower wrote:Everyone deserves to be a part of someting special and I support that. I believe that he'll be a good moderator.

This just doesn't really make sense to me. Being a part of a welcoming community is special enough for me, making someone Mod on the grounds that everyone deserves to feel what it is like is not particularly sound. Why not just draw a name out of a hat and make them a mod. While they are both very hardworking and I'm sure will make a good mod, I don't think that because everyone deserves a chance is why he should be elevated.


I agree, but I've outlined a wide variety of reasons why i think both should be a mod in both my initial post, and my response to George.

Might it not be more productive to attack those (in my inbox, in this thread, wherever) than the opinions of a total newbie?

This is not intended to be an attack in any way, this is meant to explain my opinion and be constructive when thinking about the poll and what constitutes being a good candidate in my opinion
Image

ImageImageImageImage

Image
ImageImageImageImage
CRUSTY SEA MILF wrote:You the right boob to my left, the peanut butter to my jelly, the Donald to my Melania, the Trisha Paytas to my 5 pounds of salami
User avatar
CRUSTY SEA MILF
Egregious Infundibular
 
First name: Brennan/wolbre4
Posts: 1734
Likes received: 422
Joined: 1st November, 2017, 7:04 pm
Location: Probably Kevin's DMs / Minnesota
Country: United States (us)

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Re: New Moderator Confirmation Poll - Woollyhoolly

Unread postby Flower » 7th January, 2018, 3:24 pm

wolbre04 wrote:
Flower wrote:Everyone deserves to be a part of someting special and I support that. I believe that he'll be a good moderator.

This just doesn't really make sense to me. Being a part of a welcoming community is special enough for me, making someone Mod on the grounds that everyone deserves to feel what it is like is not particularly sound. Why not just draw a name out of a hat and make them a mod. While they are both very hardworking and I'm sure will make a good mod, I don't think that because everyone deserves a chance is why he should be elevated.


If the mods want to vote on this, they are sure that he is eligible to be a mod.

I just wanted to say, we shouldn't have prejudice before we even seen them as moderators. I believe that the moderators picked the right people.

So; its not anyone. Its someone mods choose to give a chance I support that. If mods chose anyone else, I would support them too.

Why being so harsh?
Image
A star is a star, it doesn’t matter where in the sky I shine.
User avatar
Flower
Member
 
Posts: 71
Likes received: 10
Joined: 1st January, 2018, 7:40 pm
Country: Turkey (tr)

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Re: New Moderator Confirmation Poll - Woollyhoolly

Unread postby Jacketh » 7th January, 2018, 4:34 pm

Yep, for the exact same reasons as I stated in Sokol's thread. Fresh blood is good. Just make sure you beat Jonathan to Best Mod at the GTFAs.
..
Jacketh
Member
 
Posts: 10406
Likes received: 919
Joined: 12th June, 2012, 7:00 pm
Location: Thai drug lab
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Re: New Moderator Confirmation Poll - Woollyhoolly

Unread postby JonathanT88 » 7th January, 2018, 4:39 pm

Jacketh wrote:Yep, for the exact same reasons as I stated in Sokol's thread. Fresh blood is good. Just make sure you beat Jonathan to Best Mod at the GTFAs.


I HAVE COME SECOND FOR THE LAST FUCKING TIME

Image
Gudrun wrote:

"How many times have I told you? Homosexuality is only to be used for revolutionary purposes!"

Image ImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
JonathanT88
Horny Jonathan of the Homosexual Intifada
 
First name: Jonathan (duh.)
Posts: 5641
Likes received: 786
Joined: 1st June, 2013, 1:19 pm
Location: A Berlin sex dungeon
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Re: New Moderator Confirmation Poll - Woollyhoolly

Unread postby Kaspar » 7th January, 2018, 7:05 pm

JonathanT88 wrote:
Jacketh wrote:Yep, for the exact same reasons as I stated in Sokol's thread. Fresh blood is good. Just make sure you beat Jonathan to Best Mod at the GTFAs.


I HAVE COME SECOND FOR THE LAST FUCKING TIME

Image


You wish Jon, we'll see in August :mad:
Proudly, the Captain of team Spirited Away
House Cup 2017



ImageImage
ImageImage
User avatar
Kaspar
Lochlan's cat enthusiast
 
First name: Kacper
Posts: 2624
Likes received: 703
Joined: 18th January, 2017, 5:50 pm
Location: Northern Poland almost by the sea ey
Country: Poland (pl)

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Re: New Moderator Confirmation Poll - Woollyhoolly

Unread postby CRUSTY SEA MILF » 7th January, 2018, 8:15 pm

wolbre04 wrote:3. Finally, Personality/Character: Temi is very responsible and mature, while just the sound of younger mods than me sends a shiver through my spine (mostly due to the lack of emotional development and critical thinking skills), Temi has clearly demonstrated that he can make appropriate, well thought out decisions, and knows how to follow through on commitments.

After I was pm'd about this line I feel the need to clarify what my point was. I realize that several Mods are younger ones, the point I was trying to raise is that the current mods are emotionally mature and critically think (often more so than me lol) and that Temi also shows these same strong traits. I traditionally associate members younger than me with being less experienced (which is some pretty shitty criteria ngl so I apologise) and therefore making less educated choices (none of the staff now have done this in my opinion).
On other previous servers I've dealt with 15 year old mods who were incredibly inept, useless, and trigger happy, and if I have no experience with younger prospects for staff I am often skeptical.
Image

ImageImageImageImage

Image
ImageImageImageImage
CRUSTY SEA MILF wrote:You the right boob to my left, the peanut butter to my jelly, the Donald to my Melania, the Trisha Paytas to my 5 pounds of salami
User avatar
CRUSTY SEA MILF
Egregious Infundibular
 
First name: Brennan/wolbre4
Posts: 1734
Likes received: 422
Joined: 1st November, 2017, 7:04 pm
Location: Probably Kevin's DMs / Minnesota
Country: United States (us)

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Re: New Moderator Confirmation Poll - Woollyhoolly

Unread postby Cobalt » 7th January, 2018, 9:57 pm

wolbre04 wrote:
wolbre04 wrote:3. Finally, Personality/Character: Temi is very responsible and mature, while just the sound of younger mods than me sends a shiver through my spine (mostly due to the lack of emotional development and critical thinking skills), Temi has clearly demonstrated that he can make appropriate, well thought out decisions, and knows how to follow through on commitments.

After I was pm'd about this line I feel the need to clarify what my point was. I realize that several Mods are younger ones, the point I was trying to raise is that the current mods are emotionally mature and critically think (often more so than me lol) and that Temi also shows these same strong traits. I traditionally associate members younger than me with being less experienced (which is some pretty shitty criteria ngl so I apologise) and therefore making less educated choices (none of the staff now have done this in my opinion).
On other previous servers I've dealt with 15 year old mods who were incredibly inept, useless, and trigger happy, and if I have no experience with younger prospects for staff I am often skeptical.

Then as the oldest mod with the longest membership on the forum take my word for it that we trust these candidates, yeah?
User avatar
Cobalt
Momderator
 
Posts: 21660
Likes received: 302
Joined: 1st August, 2009, 12:20 am
Country: United States (us)

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Re: New Moderator Confirmation Poll - Woollyhoolly

Unread postby Jacketh » 8th January, 2018, 4:55 am

It's not like Sokol and Temi are that young, jeez :D we made Jonathan a Moderator at 15, and I think Stark was 16. And that was a time when the average forum age was considerably higher too. In fact, there was a debate in Staff Chat a couple of years back about how it is probably necessary we start appointing younger moderators. I think character and the qualities they've shown since signing up is much more important than age.

I agree its important to have a few older heads on staff who have been around a while and know things are traditionally done and the rules interpreted, but at the same time, as the average age of the forum declines (and, the fact we brand ourselves as a teen forum), it is a positive thing to have a few younger members on staff now. A staff team full of 20-somethings on a teen forum is not a good look, IMO.
..
Jacketh
Member
 
Posts: 10406
Likes received: 919
Joined: 12th June, 2012, 7:00 pm
Location: Thai drug lab
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Re: New Moderator Confirmation Poll - Woollyhoolly

Unread postby Jacketh » 8th January, 2018, 5:10 am

George wrote:2) Moreover, I worry about bureaucracy: This will now give us 6 moderators. At this moment in time, and as we have seen in recent months (particularly with Year Cup, and other events), the number of moderators has been a hindrance to the ability for the forum to churn out things effectively, as moderators are either inactive for periods (see above), or simply largening the debate. I worry that the addition of 2 more mods (to an effective 6, the most mods we have ever had whilst I have been active on GTF) will simply make this process worse.


The best Moderator team I worked with was myself, JT, Joe, Jonathan, and Josh (later replaced by Des, who did a just a grand job). Five very different personalities and people there, and I think you know mine and Joe's relationships could be trying at the best of the time. As you could imagine, we disagreed quite a bit. Whether that be Joe and JT, me and Jonathan, or Josh and JT. And this was a time when there was a lot more activity and drama. But across those six months, we were enjoying running the site, we all clearly respected each other, and there was very, very, little drama. The problem with the CA position was that it was an invitation to help come run the site and foster activity, but be treated as a lesser. Practically everyone I've ever asked to be a CA has enthusiastically said yes - then months later, their enthusiasm drops and they actually become frustrated. It happened to Muddylegs. It happened to Liam. And recently it happened to boiii.

Having six people working as a collective to run the site is a much better structure. You have to rely on each other. You have to trust each other, and you don't have the excuse of "what are the CA's doing?". And whilst I've always said that Moderators shouldn't appoint their friends, it is essential that a willingness to talk to each naturally & to get on exists. And I know that Jon and Kasp get on well with Sokol and Temi especially (I think :shifty:), and I'm sure JT and Tim will soon get to know them. The "largening of the debate" I'd argue is a positive thing, so as long that people with the right personal qualities and who can keep their mouth shut are appointed :keke:
..
Jacketh
Member
 
Posts: 10406
Likes received: 919
Joined: 12th June, 2012, 7:00 pm
Location: Thai drug lab
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Re: New Moderator Confirmation Poll - Woollyhoolly

Unread postby Cobalt » 8th January, 2018, 11:53 am

Jacketh wrote:
George wrote:2) Moreover, I worry about bureaucracy: This will now give us 6 moderators. At this moment in time, and as we have seen in recent months (particularly with Year Cup, and other events), the number of moderators has been a hindrance to the ability for the forum to churn out things effectively, as moderators are either inactive for periods (see above), or simply largening the debate. I worry that the addition of 2 more mods (to an effective 6, the most mods we have ever had whilst I have been active on GTF) will simply make this process worse.


The best Moderator team I worked with was myself, JT, Joe, Jonathan, and Josh (later replaced by Des, who did a just a grand job). Five very different personalities and people there, and I think you know mine and Joe's relationships could be trying at the best of the time. As you could imagine, we disagreed quite a bit. Whether that be Joe and JT, me and Jonathan, or Josh and JT. And this was a time when there was a lot more activity and drama. But across those six months, we were enjoying running the site, we all clearly respected each other, and there was very, very, little drama. The problem with the CA position was that it was an invitation to help come run the site and foster activity, but be treated as a lesser. Practically everyone I've ever asked to be a CA has enthusiastically said yes - then months later, their enthusiasm drops and they actually become frustrated. It happened to Muddylegs. It happened to Liam. And recently it happened to boiii.

Having six people working as a collective to run the site is a much better structure. You have to rely on each other. You have to trust each other, and you don't have the excuse of "what are the CA's doing?". And whilst I've always said that Moderators shouldn't appoint their friends, it is essential that a willingness to talk to each naturally & to get on exists. And I know that Jon and Kasp get on well with Sokol and Temi especially (I think :shifty:), and I'm sure JT and Tim will soon get to know them. The "largening of the debate" I'd argue is a positive thing, so as long that people with the right personal qualities and who can keep their mouth shut are appointed :keke:

omg I miss J5 :wtc:
User avatar
Cobalt
Momderator
 
Posts: 21660
Likes received: 302
Joined: 1st August, 2009, 12:20 am
Country: United States (us)

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Next

Recently active
Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], Kara13xsm, liaemars, Linkdex [Bot], Sogou [Spider], Yandex [Bot] and 144 guests