My point of view on the forum <3

Off-topic posts go in here; this forum is only loosely moderated.

My point of view on the forum <3

Unread postby Gavin » 11th March, 2018, 12:56 pm

Firstly i wanna start of with saying this is in no-way meant to bitch about the forum, but to give you guys my thoughts about it and things that i think can be improved or traded in with better options. second, i as others do think the forum activity is... low to say the least.

1. Discord

To start of with the most spoken of topic, discord. to my opinion discord is good, too good actually. it replaced the forum in quite a few ways and by it being a stand alone thing, people dont need to go to the forum to go to the chat. the good thing about flashchat was that if you wanted to chat, you needed to visit the forum, wich actually made people visit the forum and look at/post threads. now you can just go to discord with the app and the forum just isnt involved anymore, wich results in that feeling of "lets look at the topics real quick" is kinda gone. one example of what discord took away from the forum are the selfies. i think it used to be the most popular thread, and now it basically ready for wasteland. this being caused by the fact that discord basically took over, everyones on here. So if it was my call, i would say get rid of the amazing discord (sadly) and find something that is more fitting to the forum. Also because i know this isnt going to happen, i would suggest giving the things that belonged to the forum ,such as the selfies, back to the forum. atleast this will be 1 thing that will get people back to the forum.

2. Advertising/social media

Another reason why the forum is losing its activity is cuz oldfags are leaving and very few active newfags are joining. and because teenage fags love social media, would this be the perfect space to advertise plus, its free. so lets revive the Instagram, lets revive the facebook (do we have one?, if not make one!), and lets contact lgtb youtubers if they would the last 10 seconds of their videos to kindly show the link to gtf, cuz it doesnt matter if the certain youtuber has 1000 or 1000000 subs has, as long as 10 kids think hay thats cool, it has already worked. and especially with the insta you can reach alot of people, as long as you the right hashtags and subjects.

3. Community ambassadors and mods

Pls bring it back. CA was the perfect way to reward frequent members, and a motivation for people to be more active. now its just modship and thats a. hard to reach b. full. Now the mods: i do agree with the bigger number of mods, just not the way it works. i think the best way to run the forum is by making mods (and ca's!) like ministers, every mod has their own thing to look after; one does the threads, the other the chat, etc. give the mods the bigger responsibalities, the ca's (!) the smaller ones.

4. GTFA'S

ive looked at a bit of gtf history and noticed that back in your good old day's, there were alot of awards and now theres just alot less. i mean winning a award is always fun, doesnt matter how stupid or funny it is. so pls bring back the old ones and make up some creative new ones (:

5. Year cup

it was a brilliant idea, just with 2 malfunctions, the activity and the frequently of the games. so i would love to see it return, but this time let people sign themselves up. And for the games, so family feud once a month (wich is already a thing) do a big event every 2 max 3 weeks, and do alot of little ones in between and give points for the most stupid little things, like making a thread, saying welcome to new members and other just very simple stuff, wich will also stimulate forum activity.

6. banning and warnings

Pls make a clear system. rn its just random when someone gets a warning or gets banned. make a clear system like 3 warnings= ban or whatever so we dont have to discus this all the time.

7. Ethan

Although i cant say like others that i know him very well, i did like him. okay some things he said were funn... i mean messed up, but wasnt that just his kind of humor? and tho i miss him on here, lets just stop complaining hes gone, i think he said he doesnt mind (?) so dont mind for him!

8. Brennan

make the guy atleast a ca goddamn (yes bring ca back!)

9. Face the chair

do it more frequently, like twice a month.

10. meet-ups

The prague one is an amazing idea, im quite sad i cant attend. but pls do keep this planning. have a mayor europe one during the summer, a british one, a belgiun/duth one and maybe more. also pls make a usa one happen. if it too far then just split it up in 2 or 4 ones. and do a australia one. i just wanna see more meet up pics :weep:

11. movie night

do 2 separate ones on sunday, sunday cuz thats when most of us have the time. and have one in two mayor time zones, so more people can watch.

12. tiny chat

if discord is gonna stay, and isnt getting replaced by a chat/camming system, pls put the link to tinychat also to the forum so it gets more active. (and make a ca manage tinychat!)

13. member of the month

bring ca back and give the motm ca(!) powers, so that its more then just an interview and a banner. i think more people will be active to get motm if you get rewarded with a month of being ca.

14. game night

make it more frequent and give clearer instructions, think thats all it needs to become more popular.

15. Returning members

Yes you were some hotshot back in the good old days, but this is the new gen and and not all of us know you, so dont come storming into chat like a hurricane and pls do a new introduction so we newfags get the chance to get to know you as well

16. leaderboard

make the leaderboards at the bottom of the website more clear, like with a normal list, and add the mafia one.

17. forum features

im almost here for a year and im still learning new stuff, so pls make a thread with all the features explained, or if it already exists bump it up.

18. the website it self

although it apparently has been redone recently, it still looks old and takes some get to know. so maybe make it look more slick and easier to work with?

pffft that was it, if you got to this point you have way too much time, but thanks for reading x

also i hope you mods read this as well!

(*let the nagging begin*)


ImageImage
User avatar
Gavin
Kevin but shittier
 
First name: Gavin
Posts: 1020
Likes received: 200
Joined: 10th May, 2017, 2:00 am
Location: GTF'S after game lobby
Country: Netherlands (nl)

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Team: Cheer Team

For post #This post was deleted by Kaspar on 11th March, 2018, 1:07 pm.
Reason: Requested

Re: My point of view on the forum <3

Unread postby Gavin » 11th March, 2018, 12:58 pm

god fucking damnit.

mod pls fix this <3


ImageImage
User avatar
Gavin
Kevin but shittier
 
First name: Gavin
Posts: 1020
Likes received: 200
Joined: 10th May, 2017, 2:00 am
Location: GTF'S after game lobby
Country: Netherlands (nl)

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Team: Cheer Team

Re: My point of view on the forum <3

Unread postby Rwinter96 » 11th March, 2018, 1:09 pm

Ways to improve GTF: Revive your workout thread :P
Rwinter96
Member
 
First name: Ryan
Posts: 374
Likes received: 50
Joined: 4th March, 2017, 11:02 am
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Team: Nerd Herd

Re: My point of view on the forum <3

Unread postby Gavin » 11th March, 2018, 1:14 pm

Rwinter96 wrote:Ways to improve GTF: Revive your workout thread :P


dont mention it! it died a peaceful death...


ImageImage
User avatar
Gavin
Kevin but shittier
 
First name: Gavin
Posts: 1020
Likes received: 200
Joined: 10th May, 2017, 2:00 am
Location: GTF'S after game lobby
Country: Netherlands (nl)

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Team: Cheer Team

Re: My point of view on the forum <3

Unread postby Calcifer » 11th March, 2018, 1:24 pm

Okie dokie, my own thoughts on some of these

Gavin wrote:1. Discord


If Discord went, then that'd probably be real catastrophic for the forum. It's done wonders for the GTF community as a whole, even if that doesn't translate to forum activity that well.

Gavin wrote:2. Advertising/social media


Welllll social media is a tricky thing. I feel that the change in membership overtime is partly due to there have been more and more LGBT friendly communities popping up. Combine that with being gay isn't as much of a social stigma as it was 5 or 10 years ago even, places like GTF are likely to drop in activity. The problem is though, how to advertise it? It's been something of an issue for a while.

Gavin wrote:3. Community ambassadors and mods


Sorry, but I entirely disagree with this. Member of the month is enough of a reward. Giving users extra powers just because they've stayed around doesn't sit right with me, it tends to lead to all sorts of bitching and drama.

Hell on the subject of mods, we have plenty. Maaaaybe have some people with limited moderation power on the Discord, but the current mods are active enough to not really need that.

Gavin wrote:5. Year cup


Expand that to more forum games and activities in general and yeah, I'd agree. Activity is still a problem, but hey.


Gavin wrote:8. Brennan


:shifty:

Gavin wrote:13. member of the month


Again I disagree with giving people power just for being around


Gavin wrote:15. Returning members

Yes you were some hotshot back in the good old days, but this is the new gen and and not all of us know you, so dont come storming into chat like a hurricane and pls do a new introduction so we newfags get the chance to get to know you as well


Eh, fair enough point, although there are enough people who know of or knew the older users that they can feel comfortable coming into chat and talking like normal.

Gavin wrote:16. leaderboard


Only thing I'd say about this is that it isn't a mafia forum so mafia leaderboards aren't all that necessary.

Gavin wrote:17. forum features

im almost here for a year and im still learning new stuff, so pls make a thread with all the features explained, or if it already exists bump it up.


That's actually a very good point, I might write up a thread on formatting and stuff.

Gavin wrote:18. the website it self

although it apparently has been redone recently, it still looks old and takes some get to know. so maybe make it look more slick and easier to work with?


I'm afraid that just isn't likely to happen. You should have seen the old GTF, this feels much more modern and nice.
ImageImageImage
User avatar
Calcifer
Some Hypersexual Puppy Cat Thing
 
First name: Calum
Posts: 1259
Likes received: 126
Joined: 30th June, 2014, 3:12 pm
Location: England
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
2 / 7

Re: My point of view on the forum <3

Unread postby Dolly » 11th March, 2018, 1:26 pm

the mods are gonna need an extinguisher for this heat
Image
User avatar
Dolly
hotty & country singer
 
Posts: 3731
Likes received: 855
Joined: 19th July, 2015, 11:50 pm
Location: Tennesee
Country: United States (us)

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Re: My point of view on the forum <3

Unread postby Jacketh » 11th March, 2018, 1:38 pm

Discord has indeed removed the need to come to the forum, you're right. But its worth remembering that Flashchat was dying, and almost dead, in the last couple of months. Sure you might get an active Sunday here or there, but for the most part, it was a few Brits in the evening time and the rest of the time-zones were dead. So I'm not sure if that many people were really coming to the forum because of chat anyway. The other problem is that Flash is problematic for a lot of people now, and cams and even the chat itself stopped working for a lot of people.

I agree it would be fantastic to have a chat (preferably with cams) which hooked up directly to the forum, but the issue is one simply does not exist. There is nothing like Flashchat apart from AV Chat - I spent hours looked into this. And AV Chat is the software we moved to Flashchat from because it had security issues, and that too runs from flash and has all the same problems Flashchat has.

The reason the Discord is so active is because its accessible. If we could have an app that hooked up to the forum, had cams, was very easy to use, we'd be using it. Discord is the best thing out there, and has kept the community together I'd argue. I think if we continued with Flashchat it would be as dead as it was and forum activity would be in a similar state.

Advertising does have a big effect, but the sad reality is that costs money! I personally think we should try advertising on Reddit on the LGBTeens subreddit, that would be effective.

I agree with most of your other points, I think more should be done to promote games nights, or a weekly cam night or whatever.

It's good to see members give their thoughts like this though and should be encouraged :keke:
..
Jacketh
Member
 
Posts: 10404
Likes received: 918
Joined: 12th June, 2012, 7:00 pm
Location: Thai drug lab
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier II
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Re: My point of view on the forum <3

Unread postby JonathanT88 » 11th March, 2018, 1:45 pm

1. Discord

To start of with the most spoken of topic, discord. to my opinion discord is good, too good actually. it replaced the forum in quite a few ways and by it being a stand alone thing, people dont need to go to the forum to go to the chat. the good thing about flashchat was that if you wanted to chat, you needed to visit the forum, wich actually made people visit the forum and look at/post threads. now you can just go to discord with the app and the forum just isnt involved anymore, wich results in that feeling of "lets look at the topics real quick" is kinda gone. one example of what discord took away from the forum are the selfies. i think it used to be the most popular thread, and now it basically ready for wasteland. this being caused by the fact that discord basically took over, everyones on here. So if it was my call, i would say get rid of the amazing discord (sadly) and find something that is more fitting to the forum. Also because i know this isnt going to happen, i would suggest giving the things that belonged to the forum ,such as the selfies, back to the forum. atleast this will be 1 thing that will get people back to the forum.


Getting rid of arguably the best thing which has happened for this forum's activity because it MIGHT (no guarantees) give the forum a boost is very bold. Too bold. This place is fun because it provides a community and while I have no desire to see the forum die, I'm happy so long as that community exists somewhere. Currently, that's on discord.

3. Community ambassadors and mods

Pls bring it back. CA was the perfect way to reward frequent members, and a motivation for people to be more active. now its just modship and thats a. hard to reach b. full. Now the mods: i do agree with the bigger number of mods, just not the way it works. i think the best way to run the forum is by making mods (and ca's!) like ministers, every mod has their own thing to look after; one does the threads, the other the chat, etc. give the mods the bigger responsibalities, the ca's (!) the smaller ones.


The CA position was a disaster. It created widespread resentment from those who wanted to be CAs but weren't, and often left a sour taste in the mouths of those who became CA. Some CAs felt their efforts weren't being sufficiently recognised, and members were turned off by the fact that the role seemed so pointless. Most of the CAs worked very hard to inject the forum with some life, but historically members with and without positions have done that. I explained my position on this in various places throughout this thread.

4. GTFA'S

ive looked at a bit of gtf history and noticed that back in your good old day's, there were alot of awards and now theres just alot less. i mean winning a award is always fun, doesnt matter how stupid or funny it is. so pls bring back the old ones and make up some creative new ones (:


There were more rewards, but a lot of them were deleted for a reason, often because they were so abstract that nobody could think of a candidate, or because they were plain mean-spirited.

Pls make a clear system. rn its just random when someone gets a warning or gets banned. make a clear system like 3 warnings= ban or whatever so we dont have to discus this all the time.


This would be disastrous. Some warnings are more serious than others, many things are factored into a ban, and I'd rather drama and extended discussion than unjustified bans. Some people with 1 warning are more ripe for a ban than those with 3/4. The reason there's not a clear system is because argument and discussion (though flawed) will always prevail in the passing of justified bans.

bring ca back and give the motm ca(!) powers, so that its more then just an interview and a banner. i think more people will be active to get motm if you get rewarded with a month of being ca.


There is no correlation between someone's efforts in energising the forum and their capacity to kick and warn users on discord.
Gudrun wrote:

"How many times have I told you? Homosexuality is only to be used for revolutionary purposes!"

Image ImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
JonathanT88
Horny Jonathan of the Homosexual Intifada
 
First name: Jonathan (duh.)
Posts: 5641
Likes received: 786
Joined: 1st June, 2013, 1:19 pm
Location: A Berlin sex dungeon
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Re: My point of view on the forum <3

Unread postby Gavin » 11th March, 2018, 3:00 pm

also about the returning members part, i did format that a bit weird/dickish. ofc not all returning members come storm in chat but still a re-introduction for us newfags would be nice :keke:


ImageImage
User avatar
Gavin
Kevin but shittier
 
First name: Gavin
Posts: 1020
Likes received: 200
Joined: 10th May, 2017, 2:00 am
Location: GTF'S after game lobby
Country: Netherlands (nl)

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Team: Cheer Team

Re: My point of view on the forum <3

Unread postby scottnesss » 11th March, 2018, 6:15 pm

Gavin wrote:also about the returning members part, i did format that a bit weird/dickish. ofc not all returning members come storm in chat but still a re-introduction for us newfags would be nice :keke:


I'm still gagged that this pisstake of a meme has entered into general GTF discourse omg
Image Image

Image

JonathanT88 wrote:Scottnesss - You'll always be GTF's token narcissist, and don't let any newbie scum tell you differently. You're wonderful, and watching you destroy everyone around you with your sass is very satisfying.
User avatar
scottnesss
I don't hate all of you; Some of you I only dislike.
 
Posts: 671
Likes received: 186
Joined: 28th August, 2012, 4:14 pm
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Re: My point of view on the forum <3

Unread postby Gavin » 11th March, 2018, 6:32 pm

scottnesss wrote:
Gavin wrote:also about the returning members part, i did format that a bit weird/dickish. ofc not all returning members come storm in chat but still a re-introduction for us newfags would be nice :keke:


I'm still gagged that this pisstake of a meme has entered into general GTF discourse omg


i also want dislikes :argh:


ImageImage
User avatar
Gavin
Kevin but shittier
 
First name: Gavin
Posts: 1020
Likes received: 200
Joined: 10th May, 2017, 2:00 am
Location: GTF'S after game lobby
Country: Netherlands (nl)

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Team: Cheer Team

Re: My point of view on the forum <3

Unread postby Lochlan » 11th March, 2018, 6:56 pm

Hm, most of what I would have said has already been said by Cal and Jon, however I would like to throw in my two cents on this:
Gavin wrote:4. GTFA'S

ive looked at a bit of gtf history and noticed that back in your good old day's, there were alot of awards and now theres just alot less. i mean winning a award is always fun, doesnt matter how stupid or funny it is. so pls bring back the old ones and make up some creative new ones (:


As Jon said, many of the old ones were perhaps mean spirited or targeted, however there absolutely should be a drive to produce some new and interesting awards to reward the people who stick around. Perhaps you should make a thread gathering ideas Gav :keke:
User avatar
Lochlan
BOT Hunter
 
First name: Lochlan
Posts: 1346
Likes received: 294
Joined: 16th March, 2015, 12:43 pm
Location: Merseyside
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
3 / 7

Team: Nerd Herd

Re: My point of view on the forum <3

Unread postby Kaspar » 11th March, 2018, 8:48 pm

Considering CAs - I do not think that the position was a bad idea. At the time it worked quite nicely and really gave opportunities for newer/engaged users to start cooperating with the staff directly. I need to say that it was definitely important for me, as the fact that I'm a moderator right now was greatly influenced by being a CA for a few months prior to this. Hadn't the CA post been there, I probably wouldn't have got noticed (so I count that as a positive impact though some users might argue :lol:). If you look closely - 3 out of 5 current moderators were CAs first for a few months and then became elected. The post of course had some disadvantages, such as making people burn out and depart completely (Miguel :weep:) or become frustrated with the job (Kamiel). There was a lot more to it if course, considering that CAs were de facto half mods, it completely changed how staff worked and on which level certain situations and problems were dealt with.
Proudly, the Captain of team Spirited Away
House Cup 2017



ImageImage
ImageImage
User avatar
Kaspar
Lochlan's cat enthusiast
 
First name: Kacper
Posts: 2623
Likes received: 703
Joined: 18th January, 2017, 5:50 pm
Location: Northern Poland almost by the sea ey
Country: Poland (pl)

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Re: My point of view on the forum <3

Unread postby Dessy » 11th March, 2018, 9:11 pm

Gavin wrote:15. Returning members

Yes you were some hotshot back in the good old days, but this is the new gen and and not all of us know you, so dont come storming into chat like a hurricane and pls do a new introduction so we newfags get the chance to get to know you as well


Image
Image
ImageImage
ImageImage


Image
User avatar
Dessy
Elemental Hero JudgeDes
 
First name: Des
Posts: 10874
Likes received: 357
Joined: 16th September, 2013, 2:02 am
Country: United States (us)

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Re: My point of view on the forum <3

Unread postby Cobalt » 12th March, 2018, 4:53 am

Firstly, I'd like to thank you personally for the initiative you showed with this thread and compiling a lot of opinions that have been thrown around casually but not put into words to this degree. Great job and keep it up Gavin. ^^

Here are just a few comments with regards to what you've said and also things that I would like to engage the mod team to work on.

Gavin wrote:1. Discord

To start of with the most spoken of topic, discord. to my opinion discord is good, too good actually. it replaced the forum in quite a few ways and by it being a stand alone thing, people dont need to go to the forum to go to the chat. the good thing about flashchat was that if you wanted to chat, you needed to visit the forum, wich actually made people visit the forum and look at/post threads. now you can just go to discord with the app and the forum just isnt involved anymore, wich results in that feeling of "lets look at the topics real quick" is kinda gone. one example of what discord took away from the forum are the selfies. i think it used to be the most popular thread, and now it basically ready for wasteland. this being caused by the fact that discord basically took over, everyones on here. So if it was my call, i would say get rid of the amazing discord (sadly) and find something that is more fitting to the forum. Also because i know this isnt going to happen, i would suggest giving the things that belonged to the forum ,such as the selfies, back to the forum. atleast this will be 1 thing that will get people back to the forum.

Currently the catch-22 that we're having is that there's no real way to incentivize people who actively use the discord to check into and post on the forums without imposing some kind of restriction or regulation on the discord which is the last thing we want to do. Jack and Jon have summarized the issue, but the bottom line is that the discord had a huge impact on keeping the chat alive and is a major component of the current active community. Taking it away in favor of something else (that doesn't exist because we haven't had anything else that worked since the dead flashchat) would simply be foolish at this point in time. It'll be the efforts of mods and members who are active on the forum that will draw people from the discord to forum posting - this will happen naturally, with a bit of effort. One of the reasons why I put in so much effort to revive the mafia community is because that's one example of events that can bring people to post on the forums in ways that the year cup failed to do.

Anyway, the discord should most definitely stay, and there are no plans to replace or get rid of it. But I think it'll just take a bit more effort overall from the community to encourage more active posting on the forum rather than people just sitting in the discord chat all day and not making a single post. It's a problem in and of itself but also not a problem in that people aren't active at all, because discord is MUCH more active than the old dying chat was in its last days.

2. Advertising/social media

Another reason why the forum is losing its activity is cuz oldfags are leaving and very few active newfags are joining. and because teenage fags love social media, would this be the perfect space to advertise plus, its free. so lets revive the Instagram, lets revive the facebook (do we have one?, if not make one!), and lets contact lgtb youtubers if they would the last 10 seconds of their videos to kindly show the link to gtf, cuz it doesnt matter if the certain youtuber has 1000 or 1000000 subs has, as long as 10 kids think hay thats cool, it has already worked. and especially with the insta you can reach alot of people, as long as you the right hashtags and subjects.

I think a lot of where this failed was simply a lack of organization or coordination amongst the staff members who ran the social media pages. I have a plan to kickstart our social media initiative in the works but it kind of took a back burner to a lot of stuff and work that I've had going on the past few months. Rest assured that our pages will see more activity when the simple task of actually hooking it all up to my phone is complete, and I think the mods should talk about everyone pitching in soon and I'll definitely bring this up.

As far as actual advertising go, yes these things cost money - I'm actually still awaiting a more detailed response from René about the logistics of an advertising drive and where to allocate those resources in order to have the most productive result when it comes to advertising. I'll poke him about the issue and bump the staff chat thread in which it was discussed, and hopefully I'll have a more definitive and public result to share with the community soon.

3. Community ambassadors and mods

Pls bring it back. CA was the perfect way to reward frequent members, and a motivation for people to be more active. now its just modship and thats a. hard to reach b. full. Now the mods: i do agree with the bigger number of mods, just not the way it works. i think the best way to run the forum is by making mods (and ca's!) like ministers, every mod has their own thing to look after; one does the threads, the other the chat, etc. give the mods the bigger responsibalities, the ca's (!) the smaller ones.

Absolutely not. The CA position succeeded in what it was intended to do, but created a whole lot of collateral damage along the way in terms of having too many heads butting together, but also the frustration when certain users weren't granted a CA position because we simply had too much staff.

The bottom line with this, Jon has said it, other staff members have said it, and I'll say it again now, is that constant activity should not need to be incentivized or rewarded with leadership. I was an extremely active member of this forum long before I even wanted to be a mod, and it was only through hard work and dedication that I proved myself to be a candidate due to leveling out a long history of eccentricity and drama. Not everyone is cut out for staff, and frankly at times it's a stressful and arbitrary position that sucks the fun out of being a forum member.

Active members are the lifeblood of any community, and if activity and contribution HAD to lead to leadership then there would be no sustainable way to maintain a constant demand for more leadership positions. The CA position was unsustainable due to the separation it created in staff and I don't think it returning in any capacity is in the best interests of the forum. Especially not in a rewarded capacity such as MOTM perks. I'm pretty sure that's a universal opinion within the mod team, though anyone in staff is of course welcome to speak out if they feel differently.

4. GTFA'S

ive looked at a bit of gtf history and noticed that back in your good old day's, there were alot of awards and now theres just alot less. i mean winning a award is always fun, doesnt matter how stupid or funny it is. so pls bring back the old ones and make up some creative new ones (:

I'm not sure who's going to run the GTFA's this year, but that usually isn't until late summer so there are bigger fish to fry and I think this particular issue can take a back seat for now.

5. Year cup

it was a brilliant idea, just with 2 malfunctions, the activity and the frequently of the games. so i would love to see it return, but this time let people sign themselves up. And for the games, so family feud once a month (wich is already a thing) do a big event every 2 max 3 weeks, and do alot of little ones in between and give points for the most stupid little things, like making a thread, saying welcome to new members and other just very simple stuff, wich will also stimulate forum activity.

I didn't really like the year cup for the reasons why it failed, but that also demotivated me to the point where I didn't even try to help, which was probably also to its detriment. I think a seasonal Popularité tournament as well as other things like mafia games and maybe some other games or contests we could run would be more successful existing in their own capacity (like mafia has done all these years), and if people could volunteer to come up with or run their own contests and things I'm sure that they'd draw more interest or success when they're not linked to arbitrary teams that users are just thrown into without signing up. That was the major flaw in execution in my opinion, and I think these contests and challenges existing as their own entities is a better formula for potential activity than what we saw this year, although it was a brilliant idea and a valiant effort.

6. banning and warnings

Pls make a clear system. rn its just random when someone gets a warning or gets banned. make a clear system like 3 warnings= ban or whatever so we dont have to discus this all the time.

As Jon said, this is disastrous, as every single case is completely different. The bottom line is, it isn't a public jury that decides punishments for users, it's discussion between the mods that results in unified decisions of disciplinary action. Although mods may warn and ban as they see fit if infractions are clear cut enough, they are almost ALWAYS discussed beforehand and to the knowledge of the other mods before they are executed. A three-strike system would be completely arbitrary, as some infractions are much more severe than others and people can get board warnings for something as simple as replying to a spam thread or bumping a years-old thread. Repeated instances of those things would hardly constitute a ban, I'd think. That's just an example, but public opinion is of course always welcome and if discussion is what it takes to make the rest of the community come to understand why the mods decided on a particular course of action I think that's much better than a harsh and rigid escalating system of punishment.

9. Face the chair

do it more frequently, like twice a month.

FTC has been brought up recently in modchat and I'm almost certain something is in the works for these being done more often...? May need to double check.

10. meet-ups

The prague one is an amazing idea, im quite sad i cant attend. but pls do keep this planning. have a mayor europe one during the summer, a british one, a belgiun/duth one and maybe more. also pls make a usa one happen. if it too far then just split it up in 2 or 4 ones. and do a australia one. i just wanna see more meet up pics :weep:

Meetups have almost always been organized by and attended by the Europeans, and this is infinitely more difficult in America due to the fact that you could probably pack most of Europe into an area the size of Texas, so we have a much larger range problem which makes it difficult for Americans to converge.

Obviously individual things have happened and there were a few NYC meetups back in the day when the forum was much more active with adults, but I would love to try and organize something for New York but the fact is with Americans this is just infinitely more difficult. I love all the Europe ones in talks though and know that my heart is with you all and I wish nothing more than to be able to attend.

11. movie night

do 2 separate ones on sunday, sunday cuz thats when most of us have the time. and have one in two mayor time zones, so more people can watch.

This has never been my particular thing as I usually concentrate my efforts elsewhere but these are super cute and a great idea and I do hope they are done more frequently and so that more people can attend. I'd love to pop in sometime if I'm not working all weekend.

12. tiny chat

if discord is gonna stay, and isnt getting replaced by a chat/camming system, pls put the link to tinychat also to the forum so it gets more active. (and make a ca manage tinychat!)

Already talked about CA's, but maybe this is something to think about as far as the tinychat goes? I'll look into it.

13. member of the month

bring ca back and give the motm ca(!) powers, so that its more then just an interview and a banner. i think more people will be active to get motm if you get rewarded with a month of being ca.

Absolutely atrocious definitely not.

MOTM exists as its own reward in and of itself, there is absolutely no reason to attach moderation powers to such a thing.

14. game night

make it more frequent and give clearer instructions, think thats all it needs to become more popular.

I'd love to play cards against humanity or something sometime if these are a thing. Boop my inbox or my discord PMs and let me know because I don't often read the game night threads.

16. leaderboard

make the leaderboards at the bottom of the website more clear, like with a normal list, and add the mafia one.

If mafia continues to grow I can look into sticking the leaderboard in the sidebar in a visually appealing way but I see no reason for that as of right now. Something to think about though. What other leaderboard are you referring to here?

18. the website it self

although it apparently has been redone recently, it still looks old and takes some get to know. so maybe make it look more slick and easier to work with?

Dear god, the skin revamp took like over a year to actually be implemented so no we are not going through that shit again lmaooo.

Turn on the AeroBlue skin sometime and see how old and different it looks. Quarto is much sleeker and visually appealing, and much in line with a lot of modernized forums. Just because it isn't streamlined like most social media doesn't mean it isn't good just the way it is.

Anyway, stay posted for a more public and comprehensive update on things that the mod team will be working on as far as social media, advertising and activity initiatives go, because I have a lot of ideas and would like to engage the rest of the team. :keke:
User avatar
Cobalt
Momderator
 
Posts: 21660
Likes received: 301
Joined: 1st August, 2009, 12:20 am
Country: United States (us)

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Re: My point of view on the forum <3

Unread postby Hierax » 12th March, 2018, 12:58 pm

Most of the people (Jack, Jon and Cobalt) have stated the things I wanted to say but I'm still going to state my opinion on some other things you've talked about:

CA's
The idea of CA's isn't horrendous but I, myself, hated being a CA and was close to resigning because it really didn't give me the voice I wanted. CA's were like the transition from Member to Moderator, I think, but CA's didn't get the respect they deserved, in my opinion. So if we brought it back, the new CA's would probably get frustrated as well because they would get treated as a joke, at least that's what frustrated me.

Game Night
I'm going to try and make the Game Night thread more consistent, as well as trying to make Game Night itself more consistent because I've been a mess last weeks. Sorry about that.

GTFA's
We will most certainly do the GTFA's during summer this year, as usual but I don't know when we will be starting the hype train. I'm pretty sure there will be room for some new categories though, so if you or any other member has ideas for new categories, you could always PM me or any other Mod.

Brennan
Who?

Member of the Month
Not really a reply to your opinion, but because of the lack of activity on the forum, we just haven't been able to crown a new Member of the Month...
But as far as your opinion goes, giving a Member of the Month CA/Mod powers is not a great idea to say the least.

Forum Features
Like Cal said, I'd love to make some guide on how to format if anyone wants that, but if Cal is going to do it, I'll leave it to him.



All that being said, thanks for sharing your opinion, Gav. It really is much appreciated by the whole Mod team. :)
ImageImage
User avatar
Hierax
Flazéda
 
Posts: 1420
Likes received: 380
Joined: 3rd August, 2017, 8:55 am

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Team: Cheer Team

Re: My point of view on the forum <3

Unread postby Quinn » 12th March, 2018, 3:44 pm

I’m officially running for the position of Moderator, and this is my party platform. All of these things. Yas.
Image
an archive of my poetry
User avatar
Quinn
trash fire
 
Posts: 3933
Likes received: 33
Joined: 27th April, 2013, 3:50 am
Location: Mississippi
Country: United States (us)

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7


 Mafia A Rank

Re: My point of view on the forum <3

Unread postby Gavin » 12th March, 2018, 3:48 pm

Quinn wrote:I’m officially running for the position of Moderator, and this is my party platform. All of these things. Yas.


WHOOH!

i would vote yes x


ImageImage
User avatar
Gavin
Kevin but shittier
 
First name: Gavin
Posts: 1020
Likes received: 200
Joined: 10th May, 2017, 2:00 am
Location: GTF'S after game lobby
Country: Netherlands (nl)

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Team: Cheer Team

Re: My point of view on the forum <3

Unread postby Gavin » 12th March, 2018, 3:55 pm

i know my point of view is a bit liberal and mostly my own preference, but thanks for giving your own thoughts and opinions x


ImageImage
User avatar
Gavin
Kevin but shittier
 
First name: Gavin
Posts: 1020
Likes received: 200
Joined: 10th May, 2017, 2:00 am
Location: GTF'S after game lobby
Country: Netherlands (nl)

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Team: Cheer Team

Next

Recently active
Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], DotNetDotCom.org [Bot], FirePhantom, Kaspar, Rwinter96, Trendiction [Bot] and 107 guests