University Advice?

This is the place to discuss and get advice about things like coming out and relationships. Everyone is expected to be courteous here.

University Advice?

Unread postby Panthony2100 » 25th February, 2018, 9:26 pm

Any of you who have been to college/university, any tips? Soon I’ll be going from a high school senior to a college freshman. I wanted to know if there are any things I should know, avoid, try out etc.
Be the change you want to see in the world
Panthony2100

First name: Anthony
Likes received: 12

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Team: Cheer Team

Re: University Advice?

Unread postby Dolly » 25th February, 2018, 10:25 pm

Get involved in valuable extracurriculars early; join professional organizations or clubs that will benefit your academic career. Student Government can be super important. Don't waste your time in trivial ones like LGBT or political clubs unless you need to have some way to make friends.

Dig. Dig. Dig. Dig through the website of your university and find programs it has for your degree or for you in general. I really want to get involved in research and I just only found out about how many research centers my university operates. I found out about leadership certification courses my school offers for free just by digging around on the website.

Talk to your advisor thoroughly and frequently. I heard a statistic that 70% of college students change their major at some point. It's really not fun to have to change departments, take new pre-requisites, etc. because you didn't pick what you're most passionate about. Figure out what you want to do and don't be afraid to talk to your advisor(s) or career services as many times as you want.

Be smart about textbooks. Do your due diligence and read professors' ratings to see if they require the textbook; email them to make sure because the website could be wrong. When buying textbooks, avoid the campus bookstore if you can; they grossly overprice their shit. Look for textbooks to rent/buy on Amazon, Chegg, or eBay.

Socialize and network as much as possible. If you're good at making friends, great. Make more and keep making them. I'm not the best at this, but you can go incredibly far if you have people who can vouch for you. You never know who's an officer in a prestigious organization, who's the college dean's son, or who is friends with a professor you want to work with. Don't be a kiss ass, though.

Drop the high school bullshit ASAP. Social media drama and petty relationship/friend stuff needs to end. Stop gossipping about people, dont hate on others, and be nice. You may think you already checked off those boxes, but you'll come to find out how often people go into college acting like that. Professors, university administrators, graduate students, and fellow peers expect you to act like an adult.

Avoid private loans as much as possible. Apply for campus jobs; some positions give you discounts on tuition or housing fees. College is expensive and interest rates aren't fun if you're versed on how your personal finances work (which is another tip altogether because you would be shocked to find out how many people don't know what APR means or what a fixed vs. variable loan is). Just because you can't picture $10,000 leaving your wallet to the bursar's office, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Do you really want to be paying back $800 every month in loans because you didn't manage your finances well? You don't need the most expensive meal plans. Spend your own money and don't tie yourself down to campus meal plans; they're more expensive in the long run and the food is often gross.

Challenge yourself. Challenge yourself every day. College isn't meant for you to take the easiest classes or involve yourself in shallow clubs just to get a 4.0 and give yourself enough time to party. Take hard classes, get to know your professors, and push yourself to be better. You'll realize that by taking the challenging routes, you learn to study more efficiently, network better, and will have one more thing the person below you doesn't.

Party safely. Partying, drinking, doing drugs, etc. is part of the college experience. Even if you aren't directly involved, you will find yourself being a part of it one way or another. It happens. Don't do it at late hours of the night. Don't hang out with shady people. Don't go to sketch bars. If you make a fool out of yourself, you will be talked about and nobody will forget it. This one girl on my floor got drugged with bath salts at a party and had to be forcibly taken back to our building while she was punching and screaming at her best friends, whom she wasn't able distinguish between strangers at 3am. Everyone on my floor will always remember her as that girl who had to have police strap her into a stretcher and drive her to the hospital.

Study. StUdY. STUDY. This isn't like high school where you'll get an A for completing a Kahoot quiz or because you made a funny joke in English class. You're going to have to study for every exam and every quiz you have. More often than not, you will only be graded by 3-5 assignments the entire semester. Make them count.

Take advantage of all your free time. The good thing about college is that you have much more free time to spend. You can use it to waste your time watching Netflix and posting on a forum like me, or meeting with professors, conducting research, and running for student body elections. Time management is HUGE. Do not underestimate how important it is to make daily planners, write sticky notes for yourself, and have a big ass calendar for you to fill. Use iPhone reminders and alerts.

Lastly, have fun and be yourself. University is a place for you to find your niche. Dress how you like. Be who you want to be. Take risks. You don't pay upwards of $25,000 per year for nothing!

I hope this helped. Ask any questions you may have! :)
Dolly
hotty & country singer

Likes received: 855

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Unread postby TheBrunswickian » 25th February, 2018, 10:35 pm

find your interesting fact. literally every class ive ever had begins with "let's go around the room and say our names and one interesting fact about ourselves". so find yours now to avoid the awkwardness later
House Cup 2016 - Team Westeros
House Cup 2017 - Team Lion King
Year Cup 2017/18 - The Far East

Shittiest Member 2018 - Amadeus

ImageImage
TheBrunswickian
Lazarus

First name: Jesse
Likes received: 598

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
3 / 7

Unread postby CRUSTY SEA MILF » 26th February, 2018, 12:42 am

Dolly wrote:Get involved in valuable extracurriculars early; join professional organizations or clubs that will benefit your academic career. Student Government can be super important. Don't waste your time in trivial ones like LGBT or political clubs unless you need to have some way to make friends.

Piggybacking off of this, some professors also have roles within clubs or activities. If you find a professor you really enjoy, they may also host a club - this is a great way of meeting other students like yourself.
Also, go to events around the school to show your college pride and meet others :D
This can be sports (if you're like me and enjoy them), theater, concerts, guest speakers (I think Dolly is going to see a Holocaust Survivor speak) or anything like that! There's always an opportunity to meet new friends for free (or very cheap with your student discount)!
Last edited by CRUSTY SEA MILF on 26th February, 2018, 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

ImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImage
CRUSTY SEA MILF wrote:You the right boob to my left, the peanut butter to my jelly, the Donald to my Melania, the Trisha Paytas to my 5 pounds of salami
CRUSTY SEA MILF
Egregious Infundibular

First name: Brennan/wolbre4
Likes received: 422

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
3 / 7

Unread postby Dolly » 26th February, 2018, 1:32 am

i dont remember telling u about me going to the holocaust survivor’s speech wtf
Dolly
hotty & country singer

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Unread postby CRUSTY SEA MILF » 26th February, 2018, 1:33 am

Dolly wrote:i dont remember telling u about me going to the holocaust survivor’s speech wtf

You literally told me you were prolly gonna go to it LOL

ImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImage
CRUSTY SEA MILF wrote:You the right boob to my left, the peanut butter to my jelly, the Donald to my Melania, the Trisha Paytas to my 5 pounds of salami
CRUSTY SEA MILF
Egregious Infundibular

First name: Brennan/wolbre4
Likes received: 422

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
3 / 7

Unread postby Dolly » 26th February, 2018, 9:24 am

im throwing hands if my reply isnt upvoted. it’s seriously some A1 advice smh
Dolly
hotty & country singer

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Unread postby Adyuto » 26th February, 2018, 10:25 am

Also, I've learned even from my commuter college that it pays to form relationships with professors. I had my math professor for two classes and as a science fair advisor. When you form relationships like that, they are more inclined to give advice about things such as your future educational endeavors or career path. In addition, if you ever need letters of recommendation for grad school, scholarships, or jobs, forming a good relationship will only result in a better letter.
Adyuto
Mafia A Rank

Likes received: 56

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Team: Cheer Team

Mafia A Rank

Recently active